winload.exe problem with Vista x64 on non dual boot setup

alpha_mosaic

winload.exe problem with Vista x64 on non dual boot setup

I'm getting the infamous winload.exe error at startup, but most of the
help online (such as the one found here as well) seems to only deal with
dual bootup with XP and Vista. Does anyone know how to fix the

\windows\system32\winload.exe
status: 0xc0000221

problem on Vista64 Ultimate on a single OS environment? Most of the
fixes I've found deals with dual boot and I can't seemt to get it
working properly for me.

Any help is appreciated, I'm completely lost

--
alpha_mosaic
dzomlija

Re: winload.exe problem with Vista x64 on non dual boot setup

alpha_mosaic;530900 Wrote:
> I'm getting the infamous winload.exe error at startup, but most of the
> help online (such as the one found here as well) seems to only deal with
> dual bootup with XP and Vista. Does anyone know how to fix the
>
> \windows\system32\winload.exe
> status: 0xc0000221
>
> problem on Vista64 Ultimate on a single OS environment? Most of the
> fixes I've found deals with dual boot and I can't seemt to get it
> working properly for me.
>
> Any help is appreciated, I'm completely lost

This happened on occasion with Windows XP, where the OS was loaded by
NTLDR.EXE

A first response would be to check the hard disk for problems, but in
most cases I've encounterd this, the hard disk was fine.

NTLDR loading errors, or in the case of Vista, WINLOAD errors, can also
be the result of faulty memory. You'll need to remove and reseat your
RAM modules, or use a process of elimination to determine which memory
module is giving the fault. You can do this my removing all the memory,
and inserting them one at time until the problem come back.

If you have overclocked you rig (or it was sold to you in an
overclocked state), then resetting the BIOS memory timings and voltages
may also help.

--
dzomlija

____________________________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? -And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn-...

- ASUS A8N32-SLI-Deluxe
- AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
- 4GB DDR400
- 128MB ASUS nVidia 6600 PCI-Express
- Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
- 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
- Vista Ultimate x64
- CodeGear Delphi 2007'http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/' (http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/)
alpha_mosaic

Re: winload.exe problem with Vista x64 on non dual boot setup

Thanks for the thorough response dzomlija.

I ran the Hitachi Fitness test and the result came back green so I
guess I could rule out the HDD for the problem. I've also ran the
Memtest for about 15 passes and 0 error was found, should I still
conduct the memory removal test?

The other problem I run into is the machine not even booting to the
BIOS screen, it just sits there with a blank. Then I would restart
couple times and it would start up as if nothing was wrong, or give me
the winload.exe message. Could a faulty MB cause such problems? What's
really troubling is this doesn't happen ALL the time, seems to show up
once in a while.

I bought it from powernotebooks.com about 2 months ago and it's been
acting like this since the purchase. I didn't do any overclocking or any
hard mod yet.

alpha_mosaic;531051 Wrote:
> Thanks for the thorough response dzomlija.
>
> I ran the Hitachi Fitness test and the result came back green so I
> guess I could rule out the HDD for the problem. I've also ran the
> Memtest for about 15 passes and 0 error was found, should I still
> conduct the memory removal test?
>
> The other problem I run into is the machine not even booting to the
> BIOS screen, it just sits there with a blank. Then I would restart
> couple times and it would start up as if nothing was wrong, or give me
> the winload.exe message. Could a faulty MB cause such problems? What's
> really troubling is this doesn't happen ALL the time, seems to show up
> once in a while.
>
> I bought it from powernotebooks.com about 2 months ago and it's been
> acting like this since the purchase. I didn't do any overclocking or any
> hard mod yet.

A blank screen at poweron is either CPU, Motherboard or HDD connection.
You've already ruled out HDD, that leaves the motherboard and/or CPU.
The erratic behaviour could be an indication of failing hardware.

I think to be on the safe side while we are attempting to diagnose this
problem, you should do a backup of all your important data, and keep a
regular backup regimen until the problem is resolved. Just in case
something pops and it does not want to switch on at all anymore.

--
dzomlija

____________________________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? -And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn-...

- ASUS A8N32-SLI-Deluxe
- AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
- 4GB DDR400
- 128MB ASUS nVidia 6600 PCI-Express
- Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
- 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
- Vista Ultimate x64
- CodeGear Delphi 2007'http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/' (http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/)
alpha_mosaic

Re: winload.exe problem with Vista x64 on non dual boot setup

Once again, thank you dzomlija,

I installed XP Pro on it to see if it makes any differences, and the
same problem still came up.

Blank screen when I push the power button, and I would have to restart
to get to the BIOS screen. Once it starts up it operates fine but I
don't think condition like this is a healthy one for the machine(lol
I've already backed up my data (there weren't much on it to begin with)
so I'm glad for that. Think I'll send it in now...

alpha_mosaic;534148 Wrote:
> Once again, thank you dzomlija,
>
> I installed XP Pro on it to see if it makes any differences, and the
> same problem still came up.
>
> Blank screen when I push the power button, and I would have to restart
> to get to the BIOS screen. Once it starts up it operates fine but I
> don't think condition like this is a healthy one for the machine(lol
> I've already backed up my data (there weren't much on it to begin with)
> so I'm glad for that. Think I'll send it in now...

What you can also do as a last test before sending it in to the shop,
is to remove and re-seat the memory. Likely if the problem is memory,
then the BIOS should indicate that, but the problem could be subtle
enough to escape the BIOS tests, but severe enough to cause boot
problems....

--
dzomlija

____________________________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? -And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn-...

- ASUS A8N32-SLI-Deluxe
- AMD Athlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
- 4GB DDR400
- 128MB ASUS nVidia 6600 PCI-Express
- Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
- 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
- Vista Ultimate x64
- CodeGear Delphi 2007See my rig at:
http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e...zomlija/Venus/

My Weblog:

dzomlija;534204 Wrote:
> What you can also do as a last test before sending it in to the shop, is
> to remove and re-seat the memory. Likely if the problem is memory, then
> the BIOS should indicate that, but the problem could be subtle enough to
> escape the BIOS tests, but severe enough to cause boot problems....

Thanks dzomlija, I guess i could give this a shot. After all, it's a
bit pricey to send it over for a repair. Wouldn't hurt to see if it
could work (unless I somehow manage to damage the parts)

--
alpha_mosaic
alpha_mosaic

dzomlija;534226 Wrote:
> Justif the chassis has any "warranty void if removed" stickers, you're
> should not break them, or you may lose your warranty.
>
> Just make sure the computer is unplugged from the mains and left for
> about 30-60 seconds to discharge any residual power from the PSU, and
> remove any static prone clothing and jewelry before messing with the
> insides of your PC.
>
> Just gently loosen the lock pins both both ends of the memory slots,
> and remove the ram. Blow gently on the sockets to remove any dust
> particles, and then re-seat the memory modules without using force. Clip
> the lock pins back into place.
>
> If this does not do the trick, then I'd suggest a re-load of Windows,
> but you said you've already tried that with XP.

I've looked inside before and it has no stickers. There's also a PDF
manual showing the procedures, but it's hidden deep within the system
it's quite intimidating(lol I'll give it a shot though, just might do
the trick. If not, atleast I'll get back a working machine and I can put
Vista 64 back in

alpha_mosaic;534148 Wrote:
> Once again, thank you dzomlija,
>
> I installed XP Pro on it to see if it makes any differences, and the
> same problem still came up.
>
> Blank screen when I push the power button, and I would have to restart
> to get to the BIOS screen. Once it starts up it operates fine but I
> don't think condition like this is a healthy one for the machine(lol
> I've already backed up my data (there weren't much on it to begin with)
> so I'm glad for that. Think I'll send it in now...

Good luck, but if you remember playing with LEGO as a kid, you
shouldn't have a problem with the insides of a PC.

Just remember the golden rule: -"If you have to use force, you're
either putting it in the wrong place, or the wrong way 'round"-

--
dzomlija

____________________________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? -And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn-...

- ASUS A8N32-SLI-Deluxe
- AMD Athlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
- 4GB DDR400
- 128MB ASUS nVidia 6600 PCI-Express
- Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
- 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
- Vista Ultimate x64
- CodeGear Delphi 2007See my rig at:
http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e...zomlija/Venus/

My Weblog:
'http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/' (http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/)
Mick Murphy

Re: winload.exe problem with Vista x64 on non dual boot setup