OEM over Upgrades

Marcus

OEM over Upgrades
Ok, I have about had it with this upgrade stuff. I bought my upgrade file
online and now I'm told that I cannot use this file to upgrade from this
version of Windows. I'm trying to return it. I cannot even get it to
install. So I'm stuck with something that cannot work since it is software?!
Someone is on the take in this picture. I will find an OEM somewhere. Has
anyone had issues with an OEM Version of Vista Ultimate?

Thanks,
Marcus

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: OEM over Upgrades
There is a rumor that if you install the upgrade 'clean' and not enter the
key, you can then use the upgrade to upgrade, entering the key at the point
when asked during the process of upgrading the upgrade.

I have never tried this, btw.. :-)

--
Mike Hall - MVP

"Marcus" <mkbaird@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok, I have about had it with this upgrade stuff. I bought my upgrade file
> online and now I'm told that I cannot use this file to upgrade from this
> version of Windows. I'm trying to return it. I cannot even get it to
> install. So I'm stuck with something that cannot work since it is
> software?! Someone is on the take in this picture. I will find an OEM
> somewhere. Has anyone had issues with an OEM Version of Vista Ultimate?
>
> Thanks,
> Marcus

Marcus

Re: OEM over Upgrades
I do not actually have a "key". It is a upgrade file that was d/l to my
system and then during the upgrade this file is scanned or something and
then it is suppose to install the upgrade. So, I do not actually have to
enter anything since I have this file.

marcus

"Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.com> wrote in message
> There is a rumor that if you install the upgrade 'clean' and not enter the
> key, you can then use the upgrade to upgrade, entering the key at the
> point when asked during the process of upgrading the upgrade.
>
> I have never tried this, btw.. :-)
>
> --
> Mike Hall - MVP
>

> "Marcus" <mkbaird@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Ok, I have about had it with this upgrade stuff. I bought my upgrade file
>> online and now I'm told that I cannot use this file to upgrade from this
>> version of Windows. I'm trying to return it. I cannot even get it to
>> install. So I'm stuck with something that cannot work since it is
>> software?! Someone is on the take in this picture. I will find an OEM
>> somewhere. Has anyone had issues with an OEM Version of Vista Ultimate?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Marcus

SG

Re: OEM over Upgrades
Please explain what "file" you are taliking about.
You bought a file?
Can you provide the link from where you bought it?

--
All the best,
SG

>I do not actually have a "key". It is a upgrade file that was d/l to my
>system and then during the upgrade this file is scanned or something and
>then it is suppose to install the upgrade. So, I do not actually have to
>enter anything since I have this file.
>
> marcus
>

> "Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.com> wrote in message
>> There is a rumor that if you install the upgrade 'clean' and not enter
>> the key, you can then use the upgrade to upgrade, entering the key at the
>> point when asked during the process of upgrading the upgrade.
>>
>> I have never tried this, btw.. :-)
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall - MVP
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx
>>

>> "Marcus" <mkbaird@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Ok, I have about had it with this upgrade stuff. I bought my upgrade
>>> file online and now I'm told that I cannot use this file to upgrade from
>>> this version of Windows. I'm trying to return it. I cannot even get it
>>> to install. So I'm stuck with something that cannot work since it is
>>> software?! Someone is on the take in this picture. I will find an OEM
>>> somewhere. Has anyone had issues with an OEM Version of Vista Ultimate?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Marcus

Glen Martin

Re: OEM over Upgrades
Mike
Yes, smoe people have had issues with OEM's and others have not, but to
answer your ouestion about "Upgradeing the upgrade you can find how to do it
at this place (Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for windows) just look for "How to
clean install windows vista with upgrade media"
> There is a rumor that if you install the upgrade 'clean' and not enter the
> key, you can then use the upgrade to upgrade, entering the key at the
> point when asked during the process of upgrading the upgrade.
>
> I have never tried this, btw.. :-)
>
> --
> Mike Hall - MVP
>

> "Marcus" <mkbaird@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Ok, I have about had it with this upgrade stuff. I bought my upgrade file
>> online and now I'm told that I cannot use this file to upgrade from this
>> version of Windows. I'm trying to return it. I cannot even get it to
>> install. So I'm stuck with something that cannot work since it is
>> software?! Someone is on the take in this picture. I will find an OEM
>> somewhere. Has anyone had issues with an OEM Version of Vista Ultimate?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Marcus

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: OEM over Upgrades
It wasn't my question. I know about that web site, and how to do it.
However, I don't need to do it as I have full version Ultimate.. :-)

--
Mike Hall - MVP

"Glen Martin" <ghforlife@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Mike
> Yes, smoe people have had issues with OEM's and others have not, but to
> answer your ouestion about "Upgradeing the upgrade you can find how to do
> it at this place (Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for windows) just look for
> "How to clean install windows vista with upgrade media"
> "Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.com> wrote in message
>> There is a rumor that if you install the upgrade 'clean' and not enter
>> the key, you can then use the upgrade to upgrade, entering the key at the
>> point when asked during the process of upgrading the upgrade.
>>
>> I have never tried this, btw.. :-)
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall - MVP
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx
>>

>> "Marcus" <mkbaird@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Ok, I have about had it with this upgrade stuff. I bought my upgrade
>>> file online and now I'm told that I cannot use this file to upgrade from
>>> this version of Windows. I'm trying to return it. I cannot even get it
>>> to install. So I'm stuck with something that cannot work since it is
>>> software?! Someone is on the take in this picture. I will find an OEM
>>> somewhere. Has anyone had issues with an OEM Version of Vista Ultimate?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Marcus

Mellowed

Re: OEM over Upgrades

"Marcus" <mkbaird@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok, I have about had it with this upgrade stuff. I bought my upgrade file
> online and now I'm told that I cannot use this file to upgrade from this
> version of Windows. I'm trying to return it. I cannot even get it to
> install. So I'm stuck with something that cannot work since it is
> software?! Someone is on the take in this picture. I will find an OEM
> somewhere. Has anyone had issues with an OEM Version of Vista Ultimate?
>
> Thanks,
> Marcus

I built a new computer using OEM Ultimate. All very smooth and that was
last February. Still no problems. It has always worked perfectly.

Marcus

Re: OEM over Upgrades
I have been an Action Pack for several years. I recently installed Vista
Business for testing and teaching in order to give my customers options and
advise on upgrading or buying Vista.
I had an option within Business to purchase the upgrade to Ultimate through
various retailers. I chose OfficeMax. I gave all the details, this file was
d/l to my system. I was told I would be asked for the CD. Will I was but I
had to order the CD which I did trough OfficeMax as well. This file is
suppose to prepare the system one is upgrading. When I finally got the CD
several days later in the mail, I tried a fresh install which didn't work.
So I reinstalled Vista Business, d/l the file again from MS and now it tells
me I cannot upgrade from this version of Vista. The various upgrade paths
are just too complicated for the average consumer. I did not want to spend
more time on it so...
BTW, the file is actually a license file for the upgrade.

Marcus

"SG" <nomail@sorry.com> wrote in message
> Please explain what "file" you are taliking about.
> You bought a file?
> Can you provide the link from where you bought it?
>
> --
> All the best,
> SG
> How to Write a Newsgroup Post:
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Usenet
>

> "Marcus" <mkbaird@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I do not actually have a "key". It is a upgrade file that was d/l to my
>>system and then during the upgrade this file is scanned or something and
>>then it is suppose to install the upgrade. So, I do not actually have to
>>enter anything since I have this file.
>>
>> marcus
>>

>> "Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.com> wrote in message
>>> There is a rumor that if you install the upgrade 'clean' and not enter
>>> the key, you can then use the upgrade to upgrade, entering the key at
>>> the point when asked during the process of upgrading the upgrade.
>>>
>>> I have never tried this, btw.. :-)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike Hall - MVP
>>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx

Marcus

Re: OEM over Upgrades
Thanks. Most of the systems I build have ever had problems with OEM either.

Marcus