vista preloaded / xp restore

serkan

vista preloaded / xp restore
Hi

I have recently purchased acer extensa 5620 laptop with vista
preloaded on it.
My previous laptop was travelmate 4120 with xp preloaded. Travelmate
suddenly stopped
working(it doesnt boot up at all i guess mainboard died). So i took
out the travelmate
drive and with help of hd-to-usb i can retrieve the files. My question
is if i could access
the drive would it be possible for me to make drive image of xp (and
how to go by doing this)
and restore it on my new laptop extensa 5620 with vista preloaded on
it. My concern is it might cause
problems on boot sector. I dont if i have to configure boot.ini during
restore.
I m planning to use DriveimageXML for back up of xp and restoring in
vista laptop to another drive so in
a nutshell;

how should i make a drive image of xp?
and how should i restore in on vista laptop without causing any
problem with dual boot?

PS: I have also a xp desktop; would it be possible to make the drive
image of the desktop and restoring on the
my vista laptop ?
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: vista preloaded / xp restore
Unless your new laptop is 'XP' supported by Acer, and you can check by
looking for XP drivers on the Acer web site, you don't really want to go
back to XP..

--
Mike Hall - MVP

"serkan" <shaytac@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have recently purchased acer extensa 5620 laptop with vista
> preloaded on it.
> My previous laptop was travelmate 4120 with xp preloaded. Travelmate
> suddenly stopped
> working(it doesnt boot up at all i guess mainboard died). So i took
> out the travelmate
> drive and with help of hd-to-usb i can retrieve the files. My question
> is if i could access
> the drive would it be possible for me to make drive image of xp (and
> how to go by doing this)
> and restore it on my new laptop extensa 5620 with vista preloaded on
> it. My concern is it might cause
> problems on boot sector. I dont if i have to configure boot.ini during
> restore.
> I m planning to use DriveimageXML for back up of xp and restoring in
> vista laptop to another drive so in
> a nutshell;
>
> how should i make a drive image of xp?
> and how should i restore in on vista laptop without causing any
> problem with dual boot?
>

> PS: I have also a xp desktop; would it be possible to make the drive
> image of the desktop and restoring on the
> my vista laptop ?

Mick Murphy

RE: vista preloaded / xp restore
What you want to do; you can't.
If you had an XP retail disk you could dual boot with vista.

"serkan" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have recently purchased acer extensa 5620 laptop with vista
> preloaded on it.
> My previous laptop was travelmate 4120 with xp preloaded. Travelmate
> suddenly stopped
> working(it doesnt boot up at all i guess mainboard died). So i took
> out the travelmate
> drive and with help of hd-to-usb i can retrieve the files. My question
> is if i could access
> the drive would it be possible for me to make drive image of xp (and
> how to go by doing this)
> and restore it on my new laptop extensa 5620 with vista preloaded on
> it. My concern is it might cause
> problems on boot sector. I dont if i have to configure boot.ini during
> restore.
> I m planning to use DriveimageXML for back up of xp and restoring in
> vista laptop to another drive so in
> a nutshell;
>
> how should i make a drive image of xp?
> and how should i restore in on vista laptop without causing any
> problem with dual boot?
>

> PS: I have also a xp desktop; would it be possible to make the drive
> image of the desktop and restoring on the
> my vista laptop ?

Mick Murphy

RE: vista preloaded / xp restore
http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp