Transferring data from Windows 98

kat

Transferring data from Windows 98
I have a nine year old computer with Windows 98. Frustrated because tech
people locally can't find a way to transfer data to my new laptop with
Vista. The old computer has some windows files, excel files and money files
I would like to transfer along with my Outlook Express address book. I'm
not a techno person so need help. Any ideas?

Malke

Re: Transferring data from Windows 98
kat wrote:
> I have a nine year old computer with Windows 98. Frustrated because
> tech people locally can't find a way to transfer data to my new laptop
> with Vista. The old computer has some windows files, excel files and
> money files I would like to transfer along with my Outlook Express
> address book. I'm not a techno person so need help. Any ideas?

I don't know why the local tech people can't transfer your data but
since you didn't tell us the reason they gave you, I can't guess. I
don't know what you mean by "windows files", but here are some ideas as
to how to get your data:

1. If this is Win98 Second Edition (and therefore supports USB) and the
machine has USB ports, use a USB thumb drive. Copy the files onto the
thumb drive and from there onto your laptop.

2. If USB isn't available, pull the old hard drive and put it in a USB
drive enclosure. Attach this to your laptop and copy the files to your
user directory on the laptop.

3. If the old computer has a CD-RW drive (it wouldn't have come with one
but perhaps you added one later), burn the files to CD-R (*not* to
CD-RW) and transfer the files that way.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
DickGreen

"kat" wrote:

> I have a nine year old computer with Windows 98. Frustrated because tech
> people locally can't find a way to transfer data to my new laptop with
> Vista. The old computer has some windows files, excel files and money files
> I would like to transfer along with my Outlook Express address book. I'm
> not a techno person so need help. Any ideas?

Hi kat

I have the same problem exactly.

The Geek Squad wants $100 dollars to transfer files wich seems excessive. I
bought a flash drive from them, but, the install program for the driver would
not run in 128 kb of ram. Apparently the driver was not intended for windows
98 anyway.

I imagine a USB plug in hard drive should work, the techies should have one,
or have access to a network drive. I don't have either, however.

I'm still looking for an available solution. If you find one please post it.

Good luck

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Transferring data from Windows 98
Follow the instructions given on this web site. You may just get lucky..

http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php

--
Mike Hall - MVP

"****Green" <****Green@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "kat" wrote:
>
>> I have a nine year old computer with Windows 98. Frustrated because tech
>> people locally can't find a way to transfer data to my new laptop with
>> Vista. The old computer has some windows files, excel files and money
>> files
>> I would like to transfer along with my Outlook Express address book. I'm
>> not a techno person so need help. Any ideas?
>>

> Hi kat
>
> I have the same problem exactly.
>
> The Geek Squad wants $100 dollars to transfer files wich seems excessive.
> bought a flash drive from them, but, the install program for the driver
> would
> not run in 128 kb of ram. Apparently the driver was not intended for
> windows
> 98 anyway.
>
> I imagine a USB plug in hard drive should work, the techies should have
> one,
> or have access to a network drive. I don't have either, however.
>
> I'm still looking for an available solution. If you find one please post
> it.
>
> Good luck

DickGreen

Re: Transferring data from Windows 98
Thankyou Mike

I used the first download site
http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php
and now my Geek Squad Flash Drive is working with windows 98 SE. After
running the downloaded exe file, I then had to install the driver using
device manager (which was not covered in the instuctions) but alles gut
maintenant.

Thanks again