Easy Transfer has done something to my old computer

Lisa S.

Easy Transfer has done something to my old computer
I tried using WET to move files from my old XP computer to the new Vista
computer. It said after an hour into the process that it couldn't complete
the transfer and it was now going to cancel the process (or something like
that). After clicking the cancel button on the old computer, it has been
running like an old, tired dog. I've restarted the computer a couple of times
and it's taking 20 minutes or more just to get to the main screen. To open a
program is another 10 minutes. I've tried to find any other posts about this
problem, and if I've missed something, it would be great if I could be
directed to some troubleshooting link or whatever.

Thanks
Mick Murphy

RE: Easy Transfer has done something to my old computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/928634/en-us

Above is the WET link.

I don't use it. I use CDs, mem sticks, or external drive, and redo the
settings.
Easier, faster and reliable.

"Lisa S." wrote:

> I tried using WET to move files from my old XP computer to the new Vista
> computer. It said after an hour into the process that it couldn't complete
> the transfer and it was now going to cancel the process (or something like
> that). After clicking the cancel button on the old computer, it has been
> running like an old, tired dog. I've restarted the computer a couple of times
> and it's taking 20 minutes or more just to get to the main screen. To open a
> program is another 10 minutes. I've tried to find any other posts about this
> problem, and if I've missed something, it would be great if I could be
> directed to some troubleshooting link or whatever.
>
> Thanks

Lisa S.

RE: Easy Transfer has done something to my old computer
I've been to that link. I followed the instructions as detailed, but that's
not the issue I'm having.

My old computer is now barely functioning and I'm trying to see if anyone
knows what I can do to restore its former functionality. It's slower than
it's ever been and

I'm asking if anyone has heard of this issue before and what a potential fix
is for that. I'm not asking about file transfer--that didn't work and I don't
want to mess with WET anymore. I just want the old computer back to how it
was before I tried using WET on it.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/928634/en-us
>
> Above is the WET link.
>
> I don't use it. I use CDs, mem sticks, or external drive, and redo the
> settings.
> Easier, faster and reliable.
>
> "Lisa S." wrote:
>
> > I tried using WET to move files from my old XP computer to the new Vista
> > computer. It said after an hour into the process that it couldn't complete
> > the transfer and it was now going to cancel the process (or something like
> > that). After clicking the cancel button on the old computer, it has been
> > running like an old, tired dog. I've restarted the computer a couple of times
> > and it's taking 20 minutes or more just to get to the main screen. To open a
> > program is another 10 minutes. I've tried to find any other posts about this
> > problem, and if I've missed something, it would be great if I could be
> > directed to some troubleshooting link or whatever.
> >
> > Thanks

Mick Murphy

RE: Easy Transfer has done something to my old computer
Did you try doing a System Restore on it, to take it back in time to before
you mucked around with it?

"Lisa S." wrote:

> I've been to that link. I followed the instructions as detailed, but that's
> not the issue I'm having.
>
> My old computer is now barely functioning and I'm trying to see if anyone
> knows what I can do to restore its former functionality. It's slower than
> it's ever been and
>
> I'm asking if anyone has heard of this issue before and what a potential fix
> is for that. I'm not asking about file transfer--that didn't work and I don't
> want to mess with WET anymore. I just want the old computer back to how it
> was before I tried using WET on it.
>
> "Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/928634/en-us
> >
> > Above is the WET link.
> >
> > I don't use it. I use CDs, mem sticks, or external drive, and redo the
> > settings.
> > Easier, faster and reliable.
> >
> > "Lisa S." wrote:
> >
> > > I tried using WET to move files from my old XP computer to the new Vista
> > > computer. It said after an hour into the process that it couldn't complete
> > > the transfer and it was now going to cancel the process (or something like
> > > that). After clicking the cancel button on the old computer, it has been
> > > running like an old, tired dog. I've restarted the computer a couple of times
> > > and it's taking 20 minutes or more just to get to the main screen. To open a
> > > program is another 10 minutes. I've tried to find any other posts about this
> > > problem, and if I've missed something, it would be great if I could be
> > > directed to some troubleshooting link or whatever.
> > >
> > > Thanks

Lisa S.

RE: Easy Transfer has done something to my old computer
That was going to be my next attempt. I'm starting the System Restore process
now. I ran defrag last night just in case that was the issue, though if that
were the problem, it would have been running slower before I ran WET on it.

Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know if it works, in case it happens to
other folks out there, too.

p.s. I like the connotation of "mucked" to describe the use of WET to
transfer files.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Did you try doing a System Restore on it, to take it back in time to before
> you mucked around with it?
>
> "Lisa S." wrote:
>
> > I've been to that link. I followed the instructions as detailed, but that's
> > not the issue I'm having.
> >
> > My old computer is now barely functioning and I'm trying to see if anyone
> > knows what I can do to restore its former functionality. It's slower than
> > it's ever been and
> >
> > I'm asking if anyone has heard of this issue before and what a potential fix
> > is for that. I'm not asking about file transfer--that didn't work and I don't
> > want to mess with WET anymore. I just want the old computer back to how it
> > was before I tried using WET on it.
> >
> > "Mick Murphy" wrote:
> >
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/928634/en-us
> > >
> > > Above is the WET link.
> > >
> > > I don't use it. I use CDs, mem sticks, or external drive, and redo the
> > > settings.
> > > Easier, faster and reliable.

Lisa S.

RE: Easy Transfer has done something to my old computer
Unfortunately, System Restore had been turned off, so that wasn't possible.

As I've been looking through the files on the computer, getting ready to
copy them to an external hard drive (which is what I had planned to do before
I decided to try the Windows Easy Transfer tool), I noticed that about half
of my files seem now to be missing. I can't believe what a mess this WET
process has made of my old computer.

If anyone has any additional solutions other than reinstalling the OS, I'd
love to hear them.