Downgrade from Windows Vista Business to XP Pro

Wendy10

Downgrade from Windows Vista Business to XP Pro
I purchased a new Dell with Windows Vista Business and could not choose XP
Pro which I truly needed. I've used Vista for 5 months and just found out I
can downgrade to XP Pro. What do I need to do with the documents I've
created and all the e-mail messages I have on Outlook? Will this all be lost
when I downgrade?
XS11E

Re: Downgrade from Windows Vista Business to XP Pro
Wendy10 <Wendy10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I purchased a new Dell with Windows Vista Business and could not
> choose XP Pro which I truly needed. I've used Vista for 5 months
> and just found out I can downgrade to XP Pro. What do I need to
> do with the documents I've created and all the e-mail messages I
> have on Outlook? Will this all be lost when I downgrade?

That's up to you. You'll have to do a clean install of XP Pro which
means formatting the Vista partition but you can save your documents
and email messages in several different ways.

You can backup your files to a CD/DVD, Flash Drive or removable
harddrive or you can save your files to a different partition on your
existing hard drive, if you have only one partition you can use Vista's
disk management to shrink the C: partition and create a new partition
in the recovered space and save to that.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
Wendy10

Re: Downgrade from Windows Vista Business to XP Pro
I think I better do some reading, I don't know what a partition is at this
time.

"XS11E" wrote:

> Wendy10 <Wendy10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I purchased a new Dell with Windows Vista Business and could not
> > choose XP Pro which I truly needed. I've used Vista for 5 months
> > and just found out I can downgrade to XP Pro. What do I need to
> > do with the documents I've created and all the e-mail messages I
> > have on Outlook? Will this all be lost when I downgrade?

> That's up to you. You'll have to do a clean install of XP Pro which
> means formatting the Vista partition but you can save your documents
> and email messages in several different ways.
>
> You can backup your files to a CD/DVD, Flash Drive or removable
> harddrive or you can save your files to a different partition on your
> existing hard drive, if you have only one partition you can use Vista's
> disk management to shrink the C: partition and create a new partition
> in the recovered space and save to that.

> The Usenet Improvement Project:
> http://improve-usenet.org

XS11E

Re: Downgrade from Windows Vista Business to XP Pro
Wendy10 <Wendy10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I think I better do some reading, I don't know what a partition is
> at this time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_(computing)

Simplified, a hard drive can be made to act like two or more smaller
harddrives, each with it's own label.

Suppose your harddrive is 250 Gigabytes in size, when you got your
computer, your harddrive was probably set up as a single 250Gb
partition called Drive C: and your CD ROM drive was probably called
Drive D: but you can create partitions to make it appear to be two
125Gb drives called C: and D: by partitioning the drive and renaming
the CD ROM drive as drive E:

Opening Windows Explorer now may show:

Computer
Local Disk (C
CD Drive (D

If you partitioned the drive to have two partitions you'd see:

Computer
Local Disk (C
Local Disk (D
CD Drive (E

Your computer now thinks you have two hard drives. Now you can save
your files, email, etc. on Drive D: and then format drive C: to install
Windows XP w/o disturbing the saved stuff on drive D:

Does that help or is it just confusing?

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
Wendy10

Re: Downgrade from Windows Vista Business to XP Pro
It does help, I just have to do some investigating to find out how to do all
this. Tell me though, will it be worth all the effort to downgrade?

"XS11E" wrote:

> Wendy10 <Wendy10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I think I better do some reading, I don't know what a partition is
> > at this time.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_(computing)
>
> Simplified, a hard drive can be made to act like two or more smaller
> harddrives, each with it's own label.
>
> Suppose your harddrive is 250 Gigabytes in size, when you got your
> computer, your harddrive was probably set up as a single 250Gb
> partition called Drive C: and your CD ROM drive was probably called
> Drive D: but you can create partitions to make it appear to be two
> 125Gb drives called C: and D: by partitioning the drive and renaming
> the CD ROM drive as drive E:
>
> Opening Windows Explorer now may show:
>
> Computer
> Local Disk (C
> CD Drive (D
>
> If you partitioned the drive to have two partitions you'd see:
>
> Computer
> Local Disk (C
> Local Disk (D
> CD Drive (E
>
> Your computer now thinks you have two hard drives. Now you can save
> your files, email, etc. on Drive D: and then format drive C: to install
> Windows XP w/o disturbing the saved stuff on drive D:
>
> Does that help or is it just confusing?

> The Usenet Improvement Project:
> http://improve-usenet.org

XS11E

Re: Downgrade from Windows Vista Business to XP Pro
Wendy10 <Wendy10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> It does help, I just have to do some investigating to find out how
> to do all this. Tell me though, will it be worth all the effort
> to downgrade?

I can only offer my opinion. I think the time would be better spent
getting used to Vista. In your original post you talked about
documents you'd created and email you'd saved so it seems you have been
using it and using it with some degree of success.

You also said you "truly needed XP" but you didn't say why so maybe
there's some way to solve whatever problem you're having with Vista?
Maybe that's the easiest solution for you?

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
Wendy10

Re: Downgrade from Windows Vista Business to XP Pro
Several of the programs I was using are not compatible with Vista, which I
didn't know until too late. Fortunately I still have access to my old
computer and can use it when I need the programs. We purchased this bigger
computer to help make my job easier and faster, but we find ourselves in a
Catch 22 situation; my Vista is MUCH faster but I can't use it for everything
I need. As far as "problems" with Vista itself, I have none, I think it's a
good OS, just with a few quirks!

"XS11E" wrote:

> Wendy10 <Wendy10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > It does help, I just have to do some investigating to find out how
> > to do all this. Tell me though, will it be worth all the effort
> > to downgrade?

> I can only offer my opinion. I think the time would be better spent
> getting used to Vista. In your original post you talked about
> documents you'd created and email you'd saved so it seems you have been
> using it and using it with some degree of success.
>
> You also said you "truly needed XP" but you didn't say why so maybe
> there's some way to solve whatever problem you're having with Vista?
> Maybe that's the easiest solution for you?

> The Usenet Improvement Project:
> http://improve-usenet.org

XS11E

Re: Downgrade from Windows Vista Business to XP Pro
Wendy10 <Wendy10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Several of the programs I was using are not compatible with Vista,
> which I didn't know until too late.

Can you get updates from the people who wrote the programs?

Possibly if you'll list the programs someone here might know of a fix
or workaround or upgrade, it's worth a try.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
Wendy10

Re: Downgrade from Windows Vista Business to XP Pro
Always worth the try! One program is our surveillance system, I've spoken to
the tech who tells me they have yet to upgrade to be compatible, the other is
PC anywhere. These are two of the biggest (and slowest) programs on my on PC
which is why I convinced my boss I needed a bigger computer...Oops.

"XS11E" wrote:

> Wendy10 <Wendy10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Several of the programs I was using are not compatible with Vista,
> > which I didn't know until too late.

> Can you get updates from the people who wrote the programs?
>
> Possibly if you'll list the programs someone here might know of a fix
> or workaround or upgrade, it's worth a try.

> The Usenet Improvement Project:
> http://improve-usenet.org

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

Re: Downgrade from Windows Vista Business to XP Pro

"Wendy10" <Wendy10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...

> will it be worth all the effort to downgrade?

Most likely. Your comfort and familiarity as a user is ultimately
the most important factor in enjoying your computer experience.

There are instructions on the MS web site for backing up your
documents, message store, and address book. This can be
done to a second hard drive or a removable USB jump drive.