How to obtain repair options with only OEM Vista Ultimate Disc

Matt N

How to obtain repair options with only OEM Vista Ultimate Disc
I was having some restart/shutdown issues so I decided to throw in my OEM CD
and follow the steps to advance->repair->startup repair. This unfortunatley
was not an option on my CD and it start an automated install of Vista
Ultimate. I immediately stopped it but it had already copied some files. I
am now getting problems with winload.exe.

I definitely need to use this repair tool now but after speaking with my
computer mfg, they do not include this option. Since it is a new PC, I have
already transfered files and have not yet completed a full back up. I need
these files!

#1. How can I somehow get/run the repair tools that are typicaly included
in retail Vista Ultimate.
#2. If I can not, can you please confirm that while installing the new OS
it will backup current files that I have on my PC? I am in a RAID 0
configuration so removing a drive is not an option. I am concerned with (all
files in my documents, music, etc) and a folder I have C:/Resources.

Thank you for your help!
brink

Re: How to obtain repair options with only OEM Vista Ultimate Disc

Matt N;527508 Wrote:
> I was having some restart/shutdown issues so I decided to throw in my
> OEM CD
> and follow the steps to advance->repair->startup repair. This
> unfortunatley
> was not an option on my CD and it start an automated install of Vista
> Ultimate. I immediately stopped it but it had already copied some
> files. I
> am now getting problems with winload.exe.
>
> I definitely need to use this repair tool now but after speaking with
> my
> computer mfg, they do not include this option. Since it is a new PC, I
> have
> already transfered files and have not yet completed a full back up. I
> need
> these files!
>
> #1. How can I somehow get/run the repair tools that are typicaly
> included
> in retail Vista Ultimate.
> #2. If I can not, can you please confirm that while installing the new
> OS
> it will backup current files that I have on my PC? I am in a RAID 0
> configuration so removing a drive is not an option. I am concerned with
> (all
> files in my documents, music, etc) and a folder I have C:/Resources.
>
> Thank you for your help!

Hi Matt,

Borrow a friends Vista installation DVD and try the startup repair.
You might be able to order one from the OEM for a low price. Call or
check their website for details.

If you run the install from your Recovery DVD, you will lose
everything. This just reinstalls Vista like is was when you first got
the computer. The Recovery DVD is just a clone of the hard drive with a
self installer. You will need to backup these files first.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
Matt N

Re: How to obtain repair options with only OEM Vista Ultimate Disc
It seems as though it is still an OEM with typical install process. It gives
you options to delete, partition, etc but no advanced options. Their tech
support said files would be saved to WINDOWS.OLD which I might believe but
need to know how windows vista decides what to save (eg C:/resources folder
and personal documents).

If I do borrow a disk, do you know if it matters of the version? I have
ultimate but only know of some friends with lower versions.

Thank you so far!

Matt N;527582 Wrote:
> It seems as though it is still an OEM with typical install process. It
> gives
> you options to delete, partition, etc but no advanced options. Their
> tech
> support said files would be saved to WINDOWS.OLD which I might believe
> but
> need to know how windows vista decides what to save (eg C:/resources
> folder
> and personal documents).
>
> If I do borrow a disk, do you know if it matters of the version? I have
> ultimate but only know of some friends with lower versions.
>
> Thank you so far!

Matt,

The Vista installation DVD contains all 32 bit versions. You have to
send off for the 64 bit DVD. Only the retail Ultimate version comes
packaged with both 32/64 DVD's. The product key number that you have
determines what gets installed from the Vista installation DVD.

It may or may not give you a C:\Windows.old folder. I would backup
anything you did not want to lose to be safe.

Shawn