Vista Upgrade from XP - Personla Data Files Missing

Ali D

Vista Upgrade from XP - Personla Data Files Missing
I recently upgraded from XP Media Centre to Vista running on a Dell Dimension
E520. Everything seemed to go well apart from all of the persoanl data files
and setting for one of three users are "missing". I have tried everything to
find them but am coming round to the view that they have been deleted during
the upgrade. Can anyone suggest anything? Has anyone come across this?
philo

Re: Vista Upgrade from XP - Personla Data Files Missing

"Ali D" <Ali D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I recently upgraded from XP Media Centre to Vista running on a Dell

Dimension
> E520. Everything seemed to go well apart from all of the persoanl data

files
> and setting for one of three users are "missing". I have tried everything

> find them but am coming round to the view that they have been deleted

during
> the upgrade. Can anyone suggest anything? Has anyone come across this?

As long as you did not take the option to format the drive...
your data is still there...it's simply in your former profile.

Once you find the folder...if you can't access it, you will need to take
ownership

Ali D

Re: Vista Upgrade from XP - Personla Data Files Missing
Thanks

Any suggestions on how to find it. Have tried everything I can think of.

"philo" wrote:

> "Ali D" <Ali D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I recently upgraded from XP Media Centre to Vista running on a Dell

> Dimension
> > E520. Everything seemed to go well apart from all of the persoanl data

> files
> > and setting for one of three users are "missing". I have tried everything

> > find them but am coming round to the view that they have been deleted

> during
> > the upgrade. Can anyone suggest anything? Has anyone come across this?

> As long as you did not take the option to format the drive...
> your data is still there...it's simply in your former profile.
>
> Once you find the folder...if you can't access it, you will need to take
> ownership

Mick Murphy

Re: Vista Upgrade from XP - Personla Data Files Missing
Did you look in the windows.old folder?

"Ali D" wrote:

> Thanks
>
> Any suggestions on how to find it. Have tried everything I can think of.
>
> "philo" wrote:
>

> > "Ali D" <Ali D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I recently upgraded from XP Media Centre to Vista running on a Dell

> > Dimension
> > > E520. Everything seemed to go well apart from all of the persoanl data

> > files
> > > and setting for one of three users are "missing". I have tried everything

> > > find them but am coming round to the view that they have been deleted

> > during
> > > the upgrade. Can anyone suggest anything? Has anyone come across this?

> > As long as you did not take the option to format the drive...
> > your data is still there...it's simply in your former profile.
> >
> > Once you find the folder...if you can't access it, you will need to take
> > ownership

Ali D

Re: Vista Upgrade from XP - Personla Data Files Missing
Thanks - I am maybe being thick but I can't find a windows.old folder - any
suggestions?

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Did you look in the windows.old folder?
>
> "Ali D" wrote:
>
> > Thanks
> >
> > Any suggestions on how to find it. Have tried everything I can think of.
> >
> > "philo" wrote:
> >

> > > "Ali D" <Ali D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Dimension
> > > files
> > > during
> > >

> > > As long as you did not take the option to format the drive...
> > > your data is still there...it's simply in your former profile.
> > >
> > > Once you find the folder...if you can't access it, you will need to take
> > > ownership

Mick Murphy

Re: Vista Upgrade from XP - Personla Data Files Missing
Use vista'a Search!

"Ali D" wrote:

> Thanks - I am maybe being thick but I can't find a windows.old folder - any
> suggestions?
>
> "Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
> > Did you look in the windows.old folder?
> >
> > "Ali D" wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Any suggestions on how to find it. Have tried everything I can think of.

Ali D

Re: Vista Upgrade from XP - Personla Data Files Missing
Have tried this already and it doesn't come up with anything

> Have tried this already and it doesn't come up with anything
>
> "Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
> > Use vista'a Search!
> >
> > "Ali D" wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks - I am maybe being thick but I can't find a windows.old

folder - any
> > > suggestions?

think of.

Right click on the start button and choose..."explore"

then have a look

Ali D

Re: Vista Upgrade from XP - Personla Data Files Missing
Have tried this and no sign at all all of windows.old. Any further
suggestions?