Install a fresh Copy of Vista Ultimate w/ Upgrade Disk Possible?

Marcus

Install a fresh Copy of Vista Ultimate w/ Upgrade Disk Possible?
Ok, here is my predicament;

I had Vista Business on my system. I decided to upgrade to Vista Ultimate.
So I used the update feature within Vista Business. It saved a file on my
system and on floppy that the update service provided. However, I had to
order the Upgrade Anytime Disk since I did not have one.
While waiting for the disk to arrive through the mail I decided I wanted to
put in one of my 200GB disks and I planned on installing a fresh copy of
Vista Ultimate when the disk arrived.
It arrived and I installed a fresh copy, but it never asked for the
activation number or file. Well, last night I get a notice that it needs to
be activated. I put the floppy in with the file but it states this is the
wrong file for this type of update.
Now my question is this, do I actually have to reinstall Vista Business in
order for this thing to upgrade correctly to Vista Ultimate? I cannot
install a fresh copy of Vista Ultimate from this disk and use my file to
activate it?
I know that in the past if I wanted to say install a fresh copy of XP on a
system and use an upgrade disk, before installing it would ask for the disk
that allowed me to use the upgrade disk. Put the disk in, verify it was a
version that could be used for upgrade, then it would ask for the upgrade
disk again and complete the install.
Has MS made another step backwards?

Thanks,
Marcus

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Install a fresh Copy of Vista Ultimate w/ Upgrade Disk Possible?
You'll have to install your original Windows Vista
operating system, then upgrade to Windows Ultimate
using the Anytime Upgrade disc. I'm assuming you did
purchase a license for Windows Vista Ultimate?

Windows Anytime Upgrade: frequently asked questions
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...981033.mspx#EM

You receive an error message when you try to activate Windows Vista
after you use a Windows Anytime Upgrade DVD to perform a clean installation
of Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937769/en-us

You receive an error message when you try to activate Windows Vista
after you use a Windows Anytime Upgrade DVD to upgrade Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937768/en-us

You receive an error message when you try to activate Windows Vista
after you upgrade by using Windows Anytime Upgrade
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937150/en-us

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Marcus" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the reply Carey. Yes, I did purchase a license from OfficeMax.
That is the file I referred to in my post. Oh the pain of it all to go
through a reinstall, reinstall of everything, including programs. So much
for the ease for the consumer and customers.

Marcus

> You'll have to install your original Windows Vista
> operating system, then upgrade to Windows Ultimate
> using the Anytime Upgrade disc. I'm assuming you did
> purchase a license for Windows Vista Ultimate?
>
> Windows Anytime Upgrade: frequently asked questions
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...981033.mspx#EM
>
> You receive an error message when you try to activate Windows Vista
> after you use a Windows Anytime Upgrade DVD to perform a clean
> installation
> of Windows Vista
>
> You receive an error message when you try to activate Windows Vista
> after you use a Windows Anytime Upgrade DVD to upgrade Windows Vista
>
> You receive an error message when you try to activate Windows Vista
> after you upgrade by using Windows Anytime Upgrade

> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "Marcus" wrote:
>
> Ok, here is my predicament;
>
> I had Vista Business on my system. I decided to upgrade to Vista Ultimate.
> So I used the update feature within Vista Business. It saved a file on my
> system and on floppy that the update service provided. However, I had to
> order the Upgrade Anytime Disk since I did not have one.
> While waiting for the disk to arrive through the mail I decided I wanted
> put in one of my 200GB disks and I planned on installing a fresh copy of
> Vista Ultimate when the disk arrived.
> It arrived and I installed a fresh copy, but it never asked for the
> activation number or file. Well, last night I get a notice that it needs
> be activated. I put the floppy in with the file but it states this is the
> wrong file for this type of update.
> Now my question is this, do I actually have to reinstall Vista Business in
> order for this thing to upgrade correctly to Vista Ultimate? I cannot
> install a fresh copy of Vista Ultimate from this disk and use my file to
> activate it?
> I know that in the past if I wanted to say install a fresh copy of XP on
> system and use an upgrade disk, before installing it would ask for the
> disk
> that allowed me to use the upgrade disk. Put the disk in, verify it was a
> version that could be used for upgrade, then it would ask for the upgrade
> disk again and complete the install.
> Has MS made another step backwards?
>
> Thanks,
> Marcus

Netbiznessman

Re: Install a fresh Copy of Vista Ultimate w/ Upgrade Disk Possible?
Below is an example going from XP to Vista. The method is the same
regardless of the version being used.

----------------------
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/68...l-upgrade.html
----------------------

How to Do a Clean Install From a Upgrade Version of Vista

Here's How:

NOTE: Be sure to backup any data you do not want to loose, just in case, and
have all of your device drivers
handy before you proceed. You will basically just be installing Vista
without entering a product key on a
formatted hard drive, then re-installing it entering the product key on top
of the new installation as an upgrade .
First Install:

1. Boot the computer from your Vista Upgrade DVD.

NOTE: Make sure that the CD/DVD drive is selected first in the boot order in
the BIOS.

2. When prompted, press any key to start Vista from the installation DVD.

NOTE: You will only have about 8 seconds to press this key.

3. Set up your language preferences and click Next.

4. Click Install Now to start the installation.

5. Select Do not get the latest updates for installation.

6. Do not type in a product key.

7. Leave Automatically activate Windows when I'm online unchecked.

8. Click Next.

9. Click the No button for the Do you want to enter your product key now?
prompt.

10. Select which version of Vista you have.

11. Check I have selected the edition of Windows that I purchased and click
Next.

12. Click on Custom (advanced).

13. Select the hard drive you want to install Vista on and click Drive
Options (advanced).

14. Click Format to format the hard drive.

NOTE: If you have more than one partition on this hard drive and want to get
rid of it to make one big drive, then
click Delete for each partition. Now click New and adjust the partition size
to what you want, then click Format.

15. Click Next when it is done formatting the hard drive.

16. Follow any instructions left until Vista is finished installing and has
rebooted to the final welcome screen on
the Vista desktop.

Second Install:
17. When this first install is done, run the Vista Upgrade installation
again from within the First Install of Vista.

NOTE: Not from booting from the Vista DVD this time.

18. This time, type in your product key for Vista and click Next.

NOTE: If you need help to find the product key, then see: How to See The
Product Key in Vista
If you are upgrading from Vista to another version of Vista, then type in
the product key for the new version.

19. Check the I accept the license terms box.

20. Click Next.

21. This time, click the Upgrade option.

22. Follow any instructions left until Vista is through installing and has
rebooted to the final welcome screen on
the Vista desktop.

23. When done installing, go to the hidden C:\Windows.old folder and delete
it.
NOTE: This is the copy of the first install. See: How to Hide or Show Hidden
Files and Folders in Vista

AND/OR

23. Run Disk Cleanup.
NOTE: See: How to Use Disk Cleanup in Vista
A) Check Files discarded by Windows update (It'll be about 1.51 GB) in Disk
Cleanup.
B) Click OK to delete it.

24. Now all you need to do is to activate Vista.

NOTE: If you have problems activating Vista, see: How to Activate Vista by
Phone Activation

A) Open Control Panel (Classic View) and click System icon, scroll down a
bit and click:
Activate Windows Now.

Now you have a clean install of the Upgrade version with no remnants of XP
to mess you up later.

===============================

"Marcus" <mkbaird@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok, here is my predicament;
>
> I had Vista Business on my system. I decided to upgrade to Vista Ultimate.
> So I used the update feature within Vista Business. It saved a file on my
> system and on floppy that the update service provided. However, I had to
> order the Upgrade Anytime Disk since I did not have one.
> While waiting for the disk to arrive through the mail I decided I wanted
> to put in one of my 200GB disks and I planned on installing a fresh copy
> of Vista Ultimate when the disk arrived.
> It arrived and I installed a fresh copy, but it never asked for the
> activation number or file. Well, last night I get a notice that it needs
> to be activated. I put the floppy in with the file but it states this is
> the wrong file for this type of update.
> Now my question is this, do I actually have to reinstall Vista Business in
> order for this thing to upgrade correctly to Vista Ultimate? I cannot
> install a fresh copy of Vista Ultimate from this disk and use my file to
> activate it?
> I know that in the past if I wanted to say install a fresh copy of XP on
> a system and use an upgrade disk, before installing it would ask for the
> disk that allowed me to use the upgrade disk. Put the disk in, verify it
> was a version that could be used for upgrade, then it would ask for the
> upgrade disk again and complete the install.
> Has MS made another step backwards?
>
> Thanks,
> Marcus

Marcus

Re: Install a fresh Copy of Vista Ultimate w/ Upgrade Disk Possible?
Carey,
When I go back and reinstall the version I need to upgrade from, do I need
to reactivate? Here is my situation; I had an upgrade to Vista Business from
XP Pro. After I did that upgrade, I noticed the option to upgrade to Vista
Ultimate from Business. It appears I will have to reinstall XP, then Vista
Business, and then Vista Ultimate. Would I have to reactivate each one as
I'm getting to my Ultimate destination? I sure hope not because that can
create more problems I think regarding activations etc.