Vista is weaker than Windows 98 1st edition.

keyboardsurfer2008

Vista is weaker than Windows 98 1st edition.
This is just my opinion.
I have alreay had to install my new system 5 or 6 time in 6 months.
My new NVIDIA card 8600GT had a major problem. There were no icons on the
startup menu and the recent documents was missing. Afyter trying to uninstall
the driver for the video card windows kept on asking to help install a
driver. You should select help later on as it install the driver incorrectly
and you go in circles trying to fix a computer system that simply falls over.
Hmmmm I wouldn't want to run my business on it ever as it is too unstable.
Finally I selected help me later and then istalled the driver correctly from
the CD myself. The system fell over once but it came to life after that.
The icons reappeared, recent list showed up.
So why did Windows inform me that there was an updated driver for the
card?There is no point downloading it only to have your system crash!
I have been looking at other peoples woes when they have driver difficulty.
I can only say that some other company may find advantage in a highly sort
market if Microsoft and NVIDIA don't get their act together.
I honestly think people should get their money back if their opperating
system does not compliment the hardware that it uses.
End of comment.
PS I am not trying to defame any party merely let others know how I am
feeling.
Any attempts to incriminate me for such crimes or related crimes are to be
protected under freedom of speech laws.
My information here is included to help produce a better product service.
--
Signing out the keyboardsurfer!
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Vista is weaker than Windows 98 1st edition.
nVidia supply drivers for inclusion in WU, but I have no idea why they do
this, especially as some driver releases require that the incumbent driver
is uninstalled first. This is outside the capability of the way in which WU
works. The same applies to other drivers too, and nVidia knows this.

It is accepted, and has been for some while that updating drivers through WU
is not always a recipe for success. Drivers come through as 'optional', so
the user does not have to install them.

--
Mike Hall - MVP

"keyboardsurfer2008" <keyboardsurfer2008@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in