Dual boot xp/vista from seperate hard drives

drmoose

Dual boot xp/vista from seperate hard drives
I upgraded to vista and have to have xp loaded to install vista. I have
seperate hard drives for each. I want to dicsconnect the xp hard drive but
get the bootmgr missing error code when I switch boot drives in bios. The xp
install does not run but is needed for the many vista installations i end up
performing. I would like to get vista to boot without the boot manager...any
sugestions anyone?
Mick Murphy

RE: Dual boot xp/vista from seperate hard drives
You can't dual boot with an upgrade disk.

"drmoose" wrote:

> I upgraded to vista and have to have xp loaded to install vista. I have
> seperate hard drives for each. I want to dicsconnect the xp hard drive but
> get the bootmgr missing error code when I switch boot drives in bios. The xp
> install does not run but is needed for the many vista installations i end up
> performing. I would like to get vista to boot without the boot manager...any
> sugestions anyone?

drmoose

RE: Dual boot xp/vista from seperate hard drives
But I can. The dual boot was installed on the xp hard drive. Every time I
boot the computer I get the choice of which operating system to start xp or
vista.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> You can't dual boot with an upgrade disk.
>
> "drmoose" wrote:
>
> > I upgraded to vista and have to have xp loaded to install vista. I have
> > seperate hard drives for each. I want to dicsconnect the xp hard drive but
> > get the bootmgr missing error code when I switch boot drives in bios. The xp
> > install does not run but is needed for the many vista installations i end up
> > performing. I would like to get vista to boot without the boot manager...any
> > sugestions anyone?

Paul Knudsen

Re: Dual boot xp/vista from seperate hard drives
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 19:11:02 -0800, drmoose
<drmoose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I upgraded to vista and have to have xp loaded to install vista.

No, you don't. You just need to present an XP CD when the Vista
install asks for it.

>I have
>seperate hard drives for each. I want to dicsconnect the xp hard drive but
>get the bootmgr missing error code when I switch boot drives in bios. The xp
>install does not run but is needed for the many vista installations i end up
>performing. I would like to get vista to boot without the boot manager...any
>sugestions anyone?

See my reply to Doncraft if you actually want to dual-boot. The above
will not work.
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"drmoose" <drmoose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2DBF5A9B-9E3A-4291-BA35-A2EB0FA89486@microsoft.com...
> I upgraded to vista and have to have xp loaded to install vista. I have
> seperate hard drives for each. I want to dicsconnect the xp hard drive but
> get the bootmgr missing error code when I switch boot drives in bios. The xp
> install does not run but is needed for the many vista installations i end up
> performing. I would like to get vista to boot without the boot manager...any
> sugestions anyone?

Removable drive bays.