Order 64bit Installation Media - Not working for *Retail* license

megatron-uk

Order 64bit Installation Media - Not working for *Retail* license
I have just bought a *Retail* boxed version of Windows Vista Business N to
upgrade an XP Pro installation. The full details are:

Windows Vista Business N English International Upgrade DVD
66K-00005

It was a sealed, boxed copy that specifically states on the box and in an
insert that I can order 64bit installation media from
http://www.windowsvista.com/1033/ordermedia ... however, every time I try to
use the online ordering process is replies with:

"We're sorry, the following error(s) have occurred:
No Offer Found"

I understand that OEM versions are not elligible for the alternative media,
but this is a retail copy. Is there anywhere at Microsoft I can enter my
Product Key to ensure that it is valid and has not been stolen or used
anywhere else?
Joe Morris

Re: Order 64bit Installation Media - Not working for *Retail* license
"megatron-uk" <megatron-uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have just bought a *Retail* boxed version of Windows Vista Business N to
> upgrade an XP Pro installation. The full details are:
>
> Windows Vista Business N English International Upgrade DVD
> 66K-00005
>
> It was a sealed, boxed copy that specifically states on the box and in an
> insert that I can order 64bit installation media from
> http://www.windowsvista.com/1033/ordermedia ... however, every time I try
> use the online ordering process is replies with:
>
> "We're sorry, the following error(s) have occurred:
> No Offer Found"
>
> I understand that OEM versions are not elligible for the alternative
> media,
> but this is a retail copy. Is there anywhere at Microsoft I can enter my
> Product Key to ensure that it is valid and has not been stolen or used
> anywhere else?

At what point in the process did the error message appear? And what
happened when you used the process described when you click the "Support
Options Page" link on the page that appears when you go to the URL you cited
in your posting?

I just now checked the MSDN downloads page and see that it offers a copy of
Vista Business N in 64-bit mode, so the SKU for N64 exists.

You don't say where you are located, or how you purchased the Vista N kit.
The notes for the N version include the notation "(For Use in the European
Union Only)". Your email address suggests a UK address, but if you
specified a non-EU shipping address that might explain the rejection.

Out of curiosity, why did you get the N version? News reports I've seen
indicate that its sales are so miserable that many EU merchants don't bother
to carry it, and when they do, the price difference is negligible.

Joe Morris

megatron-uk

"Joe Morris" wrote:

> "megatron-uk" <megatron-uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have just bought a *Retail* boxed version of Windows Vista Business N to
> > upgrade an XP Pro installation. The full details are:
> >
> > Windows Vista Business N English International Upgrade DVD
> > 66K-00005
> >
> > It was a sealed, boxed copy that specifically states on the box and in an
> > insert that I can order 64bit installation media from
> > http://www.windowsvista.com/1033/ordermedia ... however, every time I try
> > use the online ordering process is replies with:
> >
> > "We're sorry, the following error(s) have occurred:
> > No Offer Found"
> >
> > I understand that OEM versions are not elligible for the alternative
> > media,
> > but this is a retail copy. Is there anywhere at Microsoft I can enter my
> > Product Key to ensure that it is valid and has not been stolen or used
> > anywhere else?

> At what point in the process did the error message appear? And what
> happened when you used the process described when you click the "Support
> Options Page" link on the page that appears when you go to the URL you cited
> in your posting?
>
> I just now checked the MSDN downloads page and see that it offers a copy of
> Vista Business N in 64-bit mode, so the SKU for N64 exists.
>
> You don't say where you are located, or how you purchased the Vista N kit.
> The notes for the N version include the notation "(For Use in the European
> Union Only)". Your email address suggests a UK address, but if you
> specified a non-EU shipping address that might explain the rejection.
>
> Out of curiosity, why did you get the N version? News reports I've seen
> indicate that its sales are so miserable that many EU merchants don't bother
> to carry it, and when they do, the price difference is negligible.
>
> Joe Morris

Hi Joe, thanks for the reply.

I select my shipping destination (UK) and then enter my Product Key and
confirm the security image on the next page - I get the 'please wait' page
for a few seconds and then it returns me to the Product Key / Security image
page with the addition of the error as shown above.

I went for the Business-N version exactly because of the miserable sales!
The small independent retailers at computer fairs seem to be selling it off
at quite a discount compared to the version with bundled media player (I
don't use media player in XP anyway; VLC suffices). The best prices for
Business-N upgrade are around £90-£100, compared to the normal Business
upgrade for £120 or so. IMO the OEM versions are false economy even if
building systems.

-John
Joe Morris

Re: Order 64bit Installation Media - Not working for *Retail* lice
"megatron-uk" <megatronuk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

[attempting to use the get-a-64-bit-distribution offer from Microsoft]

> I select my shipping destination (UK) and then enter my Product Key and
> confirm the security image on the next page - I get the 'please wait' page
> for a few seconds and then it returns me to the Product Key / Security
> image
> page with the addition of the error as shown above.

Ouch. Since I can't set up a corresponding test, all I can suggest is that
you call the UK number for (alleged) customer service:

United Kingdom
Phone: 08082341460
Toll (English, French, German): +49 5241 999 727

E-mail: Vista-am@msdirectservices.com

and see if a miracle happens.

For what it's worth, I've seen a couple of postings in the MS newsgroups for
Vista from other users who have tried to order 64-bit media (for Business,
IIRC, and not for the N version) and who have run into the same useless
fall-down-go-boom error message.

I've installed the 64-bit kit (Enterprise flavor) on a couple of machines
but since several of our critical apps don't yet support Vista in any form I
can't do a real comparison between 32 and 64 bits for our real-world
environment.

Good luck!

Joe Morris

megatron-uk

"Joe Morris" wrote:

> "megatron-uk" <megatronuk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> [attempting to use the get-a-64-bit-distribution offer from Microsoft]
> >
> > I select my shipping destination (UK) and then enter my Product Key and
> > confirm the security image on the next page - I get the 'please wait' page
> > for a few seconds and then it returns me to the Product Key / Security
> > image
> > page with the addition of the error as shown above.

> Ouch. Since I can't set up a corresponding test, all I can suggest is that
> you call the UK number for (alleged) customer service:
>
> United Kingdom
> Phone: 08082341460
> Toll (English, French, German): +49 5241 999 727
>
> E-mail: Vista-am@msdirectservices.com
>
> and see if a miracle happens.
>
> For what it's worth, I've seen a couple of postings in the MS newsgroups for
> Vista from other users who have tried to order 64-bit media (for Business,
> IIRC, and not for the N version) and who have run into the same useless
> fall-down-go-boom error message.
>
> I've installed the 64-bit kit (Enterprise flavor) on a couple of machines
> but since several of our critical apps don't yet support Vista in any form I
> can't do a real comparison between 32 and 64 bits for our real-world
> environment.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Joe Morris

Well I called Microsoft this morning and spoke to a very helpful lady on the
alternate media customer support line and she has explained that there are
some problems with the online system at the moment and they are not sure when
it will be fixed. She was able to take my product key and do a manually
replacement media order for me though, so I am very happy!

Regards

John
Norman Diamond

"megatron-uk" <megatronuk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well I called Microsoft this morning and spoke to a very helpful lady on
> the alternate media customer support line and she has explained that there
> are some problems with the online system at the moment and they are not
> sure when it will be fixed.

Oh, good news. It looks like Microsoft is using Windows. I'm glad to see
Microsoft dogfooding their own products now, so they get a better idea of
what customers see.