Error message with no explanation during install

Gizmo29456

Error message with no explanation during install
I have tried to install Vista Premium Upgrade on my pc. During the
installation, it just says that it has encountered an error and cannot
continue. The first time I thought it was because I forgot to shutdown my
antivirus program. So I tried again and received the same message. I have
nothing conflicting when I run the advisor, except for the fact that I don't
have a dvd-rw. I don't know what I need to do. . . Do I also need to shut
down my firewall?? I have searched the Vista technical suppport site high and
low, and I can't find a thing. I am upgrading from Windows XP Professional.
Any help would be appreciated. . .
brink

Re: Error message with no explanation during install

Gizmo29456;524095 Wrote:
> I have tried to install Vista Premium Upgrade on my pc. During the
> installation, it just says that it has encountered an error and cannot
> continue. The first time I thought it was because I forgot to shutdown
> my
> antivirus program. So I tried again and received the same message. I
> have
> nothing conflicting when I run the advisor, except for the fact that I
> don't
> have a dvd-rw. I don't know what I need to do. . . Do I also need to
> shut
> down my firewall?? I have searched the Vista technical suppport site
> high and
> low, and I can't find a thing. I am upgrading from Windows XP
> Professional.
> Any help would be appreciated. . .

Hi Gizmo,

It is usually best to do a clean install to Vista from XP. This
tutorial will show you how to do a clean install from a Upgrade version
of Vista. Be sure to backup what you do not want to lose first.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/68...l-upgrade.html

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
Mick Murphy

RE: Error message with no explanation during install
Gizmo, you can't upgrade from XP Professional to Vista Home Premium.

It is not a recognised upgrade path.

For an upgrade path from XP Pro, you can only go Business or Ultimate.

Mick Murphy;524169 Wrote:
> Gizmo, you can't upgrade from XP Professional to Vista Home Premium.
>
> It is not a recognised upgrade path.
>
> For an upgrade path from XP Pro, you can only go Business or Ultimate.

Gizmo,

In addition to Mick Murphy, you can legally use your Upgrade version of
Vista. It's just that you will have to do a clean install because it
will not run a upgrade install from within the XP Pro (A in-place
install). You can see more on this here.

'Windows Vista: Upgrade Paths from Previous Versions'
(http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...g_id=10043VHb1)

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/68...l-upgrade.html

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
Gizmo29456

RE: Error message with no explanation during install
I know that I said "Premium" but it is actually Vista Ultimate that I am
trying to upgrade to. I appreciate your advise and will check out the url's.