eMail Defaults Once and For... Cryn Out Loud

swhite1

eMail Defaults Once and For... Cryn Out Loud
In my feeble attempts to set my Windows 'Live' account as my default email
and/or Windows 'Mail' I continually receive the following error message. I
havn't a clue as to what POPs or SMTP settings I have. I have also seen a
message stating web based email is no longer supported by whatever?.
Please someone help me with clear direction? It's funny how I had to enter
my 'Live' password to gain access to and post this question here. And yes I
have seen dozens of queries referring to either mail services but all that
has become a turkey shoot. Frankly I prefer 'Live' as I've had an (.)msn.com
address for years. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium 2006 on a Gateway
MT6821. If any of that makes a dif.

Please?

The host 'smtp' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the
server name correctly.
Subject 'You have received photos from Adobe Photoshop Album Starter
Edition 3.2', Account: 'pop3', Server: 'smtp', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25,
Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

The host 'pop3' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the
server name correctly.
Account: 'pop3', Server: 'pop3', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL):
No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D
--
Please?
Scott (sew3fan@msn.com)
Mick Murphy

RE: eMail Defaults Once and For... Cryn Out Loud
http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html

You want Hotmail or Live hotmail as your default email.
POP3 and SMTP are incoming and ougoing mail servers.

Read the above link for your solution.

"swhite1" wrote:

> In my feeble attempts to set my Windows 'Live' account as my default email
> and/or Windows 'Mail' I continually receive the following error message. I
> havn't a clue as to what POPs or SMTP settings I have. I have also seen a
> message stating web based email is no longer supported by whatever?.
> Please someone help me with clear direction? It's funny how I had to enter
> my 'Live' password to gain access to and post this question here. And yes I
> have seen dozens of queries referring to either mail services but all that
> has become a turkey shoot. Frankly I prefer 'Live' as I've had an (.)msn.com
> address for years. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium 2006 on a Gateway
> MT6821. If any of that makes a dif.
>
> Please?
>
> The host 'smtp' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the
> server name correctly.
> Subject 'You have received photos from Adobe Photoshop Album Starter
> Edition 3.2', Account: 'pop3', Server: 'smtp', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25,
> Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D
>
> The host 'pop3' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the
> server name correctly.
> Account: 'pop3', Server: 'pop3', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL):
> No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D
> --
> Please?
> Scott (sew3fan@msn.com)

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:30BE313A-7A23-4785-A7A9-B968C9B008F8@microsoft.com...
> http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html
>
> You want Hotmail or Live hotmail as your default email.
> POP3 and SMTP are incoming and ougoing mail servers.

Those are format protocol types, not servers.... The ISP has the 'server' info.

Mick Murphy

Re: eMail Defaults Once and For... Cryn Out Loud
I know the ISPs have the server info.

I am telling them what it means in laymans terms.

"David Morgan (MAMS)" wrote:

> "Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:30BE313A-7A23-4785-A7A9-B968C9B008F8@microsoft.com...
> > http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html
> >
> > You want Hotmail or Live hotmail as your default email.
> > POP3 and SMTP are incoming and ougoing mail servers.

> Those are format protocol types, not servers.... The ISP has the 'server' info.

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

Re: eMail Defaults Once and For... Cryn Out Loud

"Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

> I know the ISPs have the server info.
>
> I am telling them what it means in laymans terms.

Perhaps you're too 'layman' for your own good.

What you did was confuse an issue. Incoming and outgoing
mailservers are assigned by the ISP. They rarely have ANY
THING to do with the PROTOCOL used by the server unless
it's the rare ocassion where the protocol is used as a part of
that address.

--
David B. Morgan (MAMS)
Morgan Audio Media Service

> "David Morgan (MAMS)" wrote:

> > "Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:30BE313A-7A23-4785-A7A9-B968C9B008F8@microsoft.com...

> > > POP3 and SMTP are incoming and ougoing mail servers.

> > Those are format protocol types, not servers.... The ISP has the 'server' info.

Mick Murphy

Re: eMail Defaults Once and For... Cryn Out Loud
Get a life, cockhead!

From: =?Utf-8?B?TWljayBNdXJwaHk=?= <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: eMail Defaults Once and For... Cryn Out Loud
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 21:59:00 -0800