Pre-installed Home Premium Vista Activation

gregparsons

Pre-installed Home Premium Vista Activation
I purchased a computer with Vista Home Premium pre-installed on it.

I've reformated this computer at least a dozen times and each time the
activation was automatic. The last time I formated it didn't activate by
itself and I had to click the button that tells you to activate and it
activated sucessfully. After closing the tab and looking ten minutes later it
was not activated. I clicked the activate button again and it activated. I
then restarted the computer and checked the status and it still read
activated.

Is there a known issue with the Vista activation process that I should be
concerned with?

And my last question is should I have my computer plugged into the internet
when each time I format with a new Vista install for that activation to work
properly?

Thank you.
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Pre-installed Home Premium Vista Activation
Review the following:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931573/en-us

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"gregparsons" <gregparsons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AC965676-087E-49BC-8B62-10F60FE8A251@microsoft.com...
[...]

Thank you for your the feedback on this subject.

I read everything on that page regarding the activation issues and I'm
getting a different error code which is: 0x8007005

I tried to install that update 931573 and it tells me that it does not work
with my system.

I have an OEM Pre-installed version of Vista Home Premium.

I need further assistance please.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Review the following:

> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "gregparsons" <gregparsons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AC965676-087E-49BC-8B62-10F60FE8A251@microsoft.com...
> I purchased a computer with Vista Home Premium pre-installed on it.
>
> I've reformated this computer at least a dozen times and each time the
> activation was automatic. The last time I formated it didn't activate by
> itself and I had to click the button that tells you to activate and it
> activated sucessfully. After closing the tab and looking ten minutes later it
> was not activated. I clicked the activate button again and it activated. I
> then restarted the computer and checked the status and it still read
> activated.
>
> Is there a known issue with the Vista activation process that I should be
> concerned with?
>
> And my last question is should I have my computer plugged into the internet
> when each time I format with a new Vista install for that activation to work
> properly?
>
> Thank you.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Pre-installed Home Premium Vista Activation
Enable "user data persistence" in Microsoft Internet Explorer:

1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
3. Click the Security tab, and then click Internet.
4. Click Custom Level.
5. In the Settings dialog box, scroll to the Miscellaneous section.
6. Under Userdata persistence, click Enable.
7. Click OK two times.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Review the following:

> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "gregparsons" <gregparsons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AC965676-087E-49BC-8B62-10F60FE8A251@microsoft.com...
> I purchased a computer with Vista Home Premium pre-installed on it.
>
> I've reformated this computer at least a dozen times and each time the
> activation was automatic. The last time I formated it didn't activate by
> itself and I had to click the button that tells you to activate and it
> activated sucessfully. After closing the tab and looking ten minutes later it
> was not activated. I clicked the activate button again and it activated. I
> then restarted the computer and checked the status and it still read
> activated.
>
> Is there a known issue with the Vista activation process that I should be
> concerned with?
>
> And my last question is should I have my computer plugged into the internet
> when each time I format with a new Vista install for that activation to work
> properly?
>
> Thank you.

gregparsons

Re: Pre-installed Home Premium Vista Activation
Does this have something to do with that update not installing correctly or
does this post belong to another person? I'm confused.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Enable "user data persistence" in Microsoft Internet Explorer:
>
> 1. Open Internet Explorer.
> 2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
> 3. Click the Security tab, and then click Internet.
> 4. Click Custom Level.
> 5. In the Settings dialog box, scroll to the Miscellaneous section.
> 6. Under Userdata persistence, click Enable.
> 7. Click OK two times.
>

> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "gregparsons" <gregparsons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:250BB2A8-6F9F-42EF-B433-B47BA6AA35FB@microsoft.com...
> Thank you for your the feedback on this subject.
>
> I read everything on that page regarding the activation issues and I'm
> getting a different error code which is: 0x8007005
>
> I tried to install that update 931573 and it tells me that it does not work
> with my system.
>
> I have an OEM Pre-installed version of Vista Home Premium.
>
> I need further assistance please.
>

> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Review the following:
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows Shell/User

> > "gregparsons" <gregparsons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AC965676-087E-49BC-8B62-10F60FE8A251@microsoft.com...
> > I purchased a computer with Vista Home Premium pre-installed on it.
> >
> > I've reformated this computer at least a dozen times and each time the
> > activation was automatic. The last time I formated it didn't activate by
> > itself and I had to click the button that tells you to activate and it
> > activated sucessfully. After closing the tab and looking ten minutes later it
> > was not activated. I clicked the activate button again and it activated. I
> > then restarted the computer and checked the status and it still read
> > activated.
> >
> > Is there a known issue with the Vista activation process that I should be
> > concerned with?
> >
> > And my last question is should I have my computer plugged into the internet
> > when each time I format with a new Vista install for that activation to work
> > properly?
> >
> > Thank you.

gregparsons

Re: Pre-installed Home Premium Vista Activation
Okay, I see what you were trying to do with that response. However, I do not
have a problem downloading that update from the microsoft site. What I was
trying to say is that upon downloading the update and running the update it
tells me that it is not for my system and then I have no choice but to cancel
the install.

When I posted that error code 0x8007005, I was referring to the error that I
get when I click on the button "click here to activate windows now." The
status is changing everytime I look at it still. It's either activated or not
activated and when it is inactive I get that error every other time I check
and have to activate it. The error doesn't show up sometimes and other times
it does...

Now once again, my problem still exists and I am wondering two things:

1) Why won't that update install on my computer?
2) Is that update going to fix the fact that my activation status once and
for all?

"gregparsons" wrote:

> Does this have something to do with that update not installing correctly or
> does this post belong to another person? I'm confused.
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Enable "user data persistence" in Microsoft Internet Explorer:
> >
> > 1. Open Internet Explorer.
> > 2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
> > 3. Click the Security tab, and then click Internet.
> > 4. Click Custom Level.
> > 5. In the Settings dialog box, scroll to the Miscellaneous section.
> > 6. Under Userdata persistence, click Enable.
> > 7. Click OK two times.
> >

> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows Shell/User

> > "gregparsons" <gregparsons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:250BB2A8-6F9F-42EF-B433-B47BA6AA35FB@microsoft.com...
> > Thank you for your the feedback on this subject.
> >
> > I read everything on that page regarding the activation issues and I'm
> > getting a different error code which is: 0x8007005
> >
> > I tried to install that update 931573 and it tells me that it does not work
> > with my system.
> >
> > I have an OEM Pre-installed version of Vista Home Premium.
> >
> > I need further assistance please.
> >

> > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> > > Review the following:
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931573/en-us
> > >
> > > --
> > > Carey Frisch
> > > Microsoft MVP
> > > Windows Shell/User

> > > "gregparsons" <gregparsons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AC965676-087E-49BC-8B62-10F60FE8A251@microsoft.com...
> > > I purchased a computer with Vista Home Premium pre-installed on it.
> > >
> > > I've reformated this computer at least a dozen times and each time the
> > > activation was automatic. The last time I formated it didn't activate by
> > > itself and I had to click the button that tells you to activate and it
> > > activated sucessfully. After closing the tab and looking ten minutes later it
> > > was not activated. I clicked the activate button again and it activated. I
> > > then restarted the computer and checked the status and it still read
> > > activated.
> > >
> > > Is there a known issue with the Vista activation process that I should be
> > > concerned with?
> > >
> > > And my last question is should I have my computer plugged into the internet
> > > when each time I format with a new Vista install for that activation to work
> > > properly?
> > >
> > > Thank you.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Pre-installed Home Premium Vista Activation
You can activate Vista by performing the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in: slui.exe 4
2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.
3. Select your Country.
4. Follow the instructions for phone activation.
5. Once completed, restart your computer.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP