removal of vista boot manager (please help)

Steven Wabik

removal of vista boot manager (please help)
i just hope someone can help me with this damn issue.

i just previously had a dualboot setup between Windows XP tablet PC edition
2005 and Windows Vista business edition.

the thing was that i got sick of vista so i decided to get rid of it. i
thoght i removed the boot manager first with vistabootpro v3.3. but it seems
that the removal of the vistaloader failed.

i used vistabootpro to remove the vista bootloader in the past from when i
did beta testing. when i beta tested vista i was doing it in a dual oot
situation and that application vistaboot pro got rid of the vista
bootloader.

now i seem to be stuck with the vistaboot loader. does anyone have any ideas
of how to get rid of it without reinstalling windows?

philo

Re: removal of vista boot manager (please help)

"Steven Wabik" <Stevenw45@verizon.net> wrote in message
> i just hope someone can help me with this damn issue.
>
> i just previously had a dualboot setup between Windows XP tablet PC

edition
> 2005 and Windows Vista business edition.
>
> the thing was that i got sick of vista so i decided to get rid of it. i
> thoght i removed the boot manager first with vistabootpro v3.3. but it

seems
> that the removal of the vistaloader failed.
>
> i used vistabootpro to remove the vista bootloader in the past from when i
> did beta testing. when i beta tested vista i was doing it in a dual oot
> situation and that application vistaboot pro got rid of the vista
> bootloader.
>
> now i seem to be stuck with the vistaboot loader. does anyone have any

ideas
> of how to get rid of it without reinstalling windows?

Did you try booting from your XP cd and from the repair console issuing the
command : fixboot

Steven Wabik

Re: removal of vista boot manager (please help)
no, but knowing microsoft software it may not work..lol

anyways...thanks for the idea, but i already got rid of the vista boot
manager.

even though that i fixed the issue, i am just wondering if anyone can send
me other seggestions on how to fix it for if it happens again...better than
that one the other guy sent me and possibly some to avoid that issue in the
future.

"philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:F_GdnWdbTLAsCtXanZ2dnUVZ_rKtnZ2d@athenet.net. ..

> "Steven Wabik" <Stevenw45@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> i just hope someone can help me with this damn issue.
>>
>> i just previously had a dualboot setup between Windows XP tablet PC

> edition
>> 2005 and Windows Vista business edition.
>>
>> the thing was that i got sick of vista so i decided to get rid of it. i
>> thoght i removed the boot manager first with vistabootpro v3.3. but it

> seems
>> that the removal of the vistaloader failed.
>>
>> i used vistabootpro to remove the vista bootloader in the past from when
>> did beta testing. when i beta tested vista i was doing it in a dual oot
>> situation and that application vistaboot pro got rid of the vista
>> bootloader.
>>
>> now i seem to be stuck with the vistaboot loader. does anyone have any

> ideas
>> of how to get rid of it without reinstalling windows?
>>

> Did you try booting from your XP cd and from the repair console issuing
> the
> command : fixboot

Josh Einstein

Re: removal of vista boot manager (please help)
How to avoid it in the future? Well for starters, don't dual boot. With
virtualization where it is today, it's rarely necessary. Pick a version of
the OS and stick with it and if you need an older one for compatibility
reasons, keep it in a virtual machine. If you don't understand master boot
records and how various OS's tend to step on each others toes then you'll
get into situations like this.

And if you do run into the problem again, you might get more help if you
don't come to a Microsoft community newsgroup with an attitude like "knowing
Microsoft software it may not work..." when you were the one who tinkered
the system into its current state.

--
Josh Einstein (Tablet PC MVP)
Einstein Technologies

> no, but knowing microsoft software it may not work..lol
>
> anyways...thanks for the idea, but i already got rid of the vista boot
> manager.
>
> even though that i fixed the issue, i am just wondering if anyone can send
> me other seggestions on how to fix it for if it happens again...better
> than that one the other guy sent me and possibly some to avoid that issue
> in the future.
>
> "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
> news:F_GdnWdbTLAsCtXanZ2dnUVZ_rKtnZ2d@athenet.net. ..
>>
>> "Steven Wabik" <Stevenw45@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>> i just hope someone can help me with this damn issue.
>>>
>>> i just previously had a dualboot setup between Windows XP tablet PC

>> edition
>>> 2005 and Windows Vista business edition.
>>>
>>> the thing was that i got sick of vista so i decided to get rid of it. i
>>> thoght i removed the boot manager first with vistabootpro v3.3. but it

>> seems
>>> that the removal of the vistaloader failed.
>>>
>>> i used vistabootpro to remove the vista bootloader in the past from when
>>> did beta testing. when i beta tested vista i was doing it in a dual oot
>>> situation and that application vistaboot pro got rid of the vista
>>> bootloader.
>>>
>>> now i seem to be stuck with the vistaboot loader. does anyone have any

>> ideas
>>> of how to get rid of it without reinstalling windows?
>>>

>> Did you try booting from your XP cd and from the repair console issuing
>> the
>> command : fixboot

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Josh Einstein" <josh@einsteintech.net> wrote in message news:11DEA2DD-535F-48E8-BF49-F3956AB00C25@microsoft.com...

> How to avoid it in the future? Well for starters, don't dual boot.

I personally prefer removable drives in bays. One OS per drive.

Mick Murphy

RE: removal of vista boot manager (please help)
Don't multi-post, cockhead!

You are in vista.general with this.

"Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in...

> Don't multi-post, cockhead!

Excuse me ?!!?

Sheeesh............

the wharf rat

Re: removal of vista boot manager (please help)
In article <11DEA2DD-535F-48E8-BF49-F3956AB00C25@microsoft.com>,
Josh Einstein <josh@einsteintech.net> wrote:
>How to avoid it in the future? Well for starters, don't dual boot. With
>virtualization where it is today, it's rarely necessary.

He may not have the horsepower. Virtualization doesn't give you
2 machines you know...

Steven Wabik

Re: removal of vista boot manager (please help)
i never really messed with virtalization technologies, but yet my computers
BIOS has some option for it. either way, when its enabled it speeds up my
computer....

"Josh Einstein" <josh@einsteintech.net> wrote in message
> How to avoid it in the future? Well for starters, don't dual boot. With
> virtualization where it is today, it's rarely necessary. Pick a version of
> the OS and stick with it and if you need an older one for compatibility
> reasons, keep it in a virtual machine. If you don't understand master boot
> records and how various OS's tend to step on each others toes then you'll
> get into situations like this.
>
> And if you do run into the problem again, you might get more help if you
> don't come to a Microsoft community newsgroup with an attitude like
> "knowing Microsoft software it may not work..." when you were the one who
> tinkered the system into its current state.
>
> --
> Josh Einstein (Tablet PC MVP)
> Einstein Technologies
> Tablet Enhancements for Outlook - Try it free: www.tabletoutlook.com
>
> "Steven Wabik" <Stevenw45@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> no, but knowing microsoft software it may not work..lol
>>
>> anyways...thanks for the idea, but i already got rid of the vista boot
>> manager.
>>
>> even though that i fixed the issue, i am just wondering if anyone can
>> send me other seggestions on how to fix it for if it happens
>> again...better than that one the other guy sent me and possibly some to
>> avoid that issue in the future.
>>
>> "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> news:F_GdnWdbTLAsCtXanZ2dnUVZ_rKtnZ2d@athenet.net. ..
>>>
>>> "Steven Wabik" <Stevenw45@verizon.net> wrote in message

>>> edition

>>> seems

>>> ideas
>>>>

>>> Did you try booting from your XP cd and from the repair console issuing
>>> the
>>> command : fixboot

Steven Wabik

Re: removal of vista boot manager (please help)
i sortta did that myself, having on OS per drive when i was beta test vista
on a dual boot. it was on a laptop that could handle up to 3 internal hard
drives.

when XP was loaded the main hard drive, the one with XP on it was in the
main hard drive bay and in dvd and floppy drives were inserrted in the other
drive bays.

when vista was loaded on the PC the floppy drive was removed and the main
hard drive was put in its place. the main hard drive was only like 20GB. the
hard drive that i had for vista was about 60GB.

now this laptop was so old that it could not handle windows aero on the
native graphics card, but i used a PCMCIA graphics card with it while i was
running it under vista just so that it could run aero.