Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Post-install

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-24-2007
gregparsons
 

Posts: n/a
Post-install
Was wondering if someone could answer this question for me as I'm still
unclear on the proper procedure.

After you install Windows Vista Home Premium is it better to install the
Windows Upates first or the drivers / utilities for the motherboard that come
on the supplied cd first?

I've heard that both ways are okay, but I wanted to get some more input.

Thanky you
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-24-2007
Richard G. Harper
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Post-install
Either way should be fine, but I prefer to install motherboard and device
driver updates first, then let Windows install its updates.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
* NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
* PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
* The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/
* HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm


"gregparsons" <gregparsons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2DBD252C-4D6A-4B77-9EE2-BC9E5F05853B@microsoft.com...
> Was wondering if someone could answer this question for me as I'm still
> unclear on the proper procedure.
>
> After you install Windows Vista Home Premium is it better to install the
> Windows Upates first or the drivers / utilities for the motherboard that
> come
> on the supplied cd first?
>
> I've heard that both ways are okay, but I wanted to get some more input.
>
> Thanky you


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-25-2007
Mick Murphy
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Post-install
If you buy a computer with vista pre-installed, the manufacturer has already
installed the mobo drivers.

The Drivers disk is for Recovery.

"gregparsons" wrote:

> Was wondering if someone could answer this question for me as I'm still
> unclear on the proper procedure.
>
> After you install Windows Vista Home Premium is it better to install the
> Windows Upates first or the drivers / utilities for the motherboard that come
> on the supplied cd first?
>
> I've heard that both ways are okay, but I wanted to get some more input.
>
> Thanky you

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-25-2007
Bruce Chambers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Post-install
gregparsons wrote:
> Was wondering if someone could answer this question for me as I'm still
> unclear on the proper procedure.
>
> After you install Windows Vista Home Premium is it better to install the
> Windows Upates first or the drivers / utilities for the motherboard that come
> on the supplied cd first?
>
> I've heard that both ways are okay, but I wanted to get some more input.
>
> Thanky you



I would install the necessary device drivers first. It's the only way
to ensure that Windows is working properly before connecting to the
Internet to get updates. (Oh, and you'll want to have an antivirus
application installed before connecting to the Internet, as well.)


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin

Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand Russell

The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-26-2007
David Morgan \(MAMS\)
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Post-install

"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote...

> (Oh, and you'll want to have an antivirus
> application installed before connecting to the Internet, as well.)




Why ?




Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-26-2007
Bruce Chambers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Post-install
David Morgan (MAMS) wrote:
> "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote...
>
>> (Oh, and you'll want to have an antivirus
>> application installed before connecting to the Internet, as well.)

>
>
>
> Why ?
>
>
>
>



It's called a general, common sense security precaution. To quote
Charles Babbage, "I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of
confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin

Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand Russell

The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-26-2007
ltwally
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Post-install

Antivirus is for wimps. It's all a marketing scheme. I don't run any
of that stuff, and you don't see any viruses or spyware or spambots on
my machine!



--

Viagra Experience:

After undergoing treatment for prostate cancer, I had to deal with
Erectile Dysfunction. The injections didn't produce a &quot;usable&quot;
erection for intercourse. Mostly my wife and I had shut down our
respective libidos and settled for cuddling, while secretly hoping that
somehow, someone might have a magic bullet for us. But when the doctor
recommended Viagra, It worked. Viagra has restored our sex-life. Not
only is the frequency of sex greater but it is also more intense.

You can buy Viagra here!


--
ltwally
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-26-2007
David Morgan \(MAMS\)
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Post-install

"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message ...

> David Morgan (MAMS) wrote:


> > "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote...


> >> (Oh, and you'll want to have an antivirus
> >> application installed before connecting to the Internet, as well.)


> > Why ?


> It's called a general, common sense security precaution.



That just makes me wonder where you're kickbacks are coming from. ;-)

"Common Sense" security is good personal habits... everything else
is a slowed-down, bogged-down, invaded PC that puts money in the
hands of the people make such claims as you. Windows Update
is going to throw a virus out?? I don't think so... and unless you're
chatting or e-mailing with Melinda Gates and she sends you an
infected e-mail attachment that you're to unaware to check out
before opening it... you're probably going to be just fine.

Seriously... I had my own personal experiences with both the majors
10 thru15 years ago, and deal with them a few times a week in service
PCs. I took ALL A/V out of my machines almost 10 years ago (and I
make this announcement a few times per month to see who tries to
hit me) and I've never been even slightly affected by viral activity on
any internet box I deal with... some of them online 24/7.

Corporate rules for a bunch of zombie users usually don't apply to
individuals who care enough about their time on the PC to add a
little conscious awareness to their surf & mail time in order to avoid
the massively increased boot, shutdown, and scanning times that can
completely ruin one's 'fun' with working on a really fast box.

Just a preference.... I prefer clean and fast and personally aware.
Others will prefer the snails pace, 'better safe than sorry' obliviousness.

On a side note... for over 5 years now, I have been removing A/V from
the computers of clients for whom I do PC maintenance & support. In
the process I show them a couple of simple steps and *guarantee*
that if they follow those steps... I will come for FREE for up to 2 years
and remove any virus they catch. I'm on my 5th year of this service
and NO ONE has contracted a virus... and by now I'm probably personally
supporting some 60-plus home and business PCs


Cheers,






Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11-26-2007
Bruce Chambers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Post-install
David Morgan (MAMS) wrote:
>
>
>> It's called a general, common sense security precaution.

>
>
> That just makes me wonder where you're kickbacks are coming from. ;-)
>



Unfounded accusations instead of rational arguments supported by
documented facts? Why do I bother?


> "Common Sense" security is good personal habits...



... And taking precautions against the day when something slips by
those habits.


> everything else
> is a slowed-down, bogged-down, invaded PC that puts money in the
> hands of the people make such claims as you.



Not if one knows how to properly install and configure such products,
and maintain a PC.


> Windows Update
> is going to throw a virus out??



Not intentionally, no. But all web sites are potentially capable of
being compromised and exploited. Further, I wasn't aware that Windows
Update was the sum total of the Internet. When did that happen?



>
> Seriously... I had my own personal experiences with both the majors
> 10 thru15 years ago, and deal with them a few times a week in service
> PCs. I took ALL A/V out of my machines almost 10 years ago (and I
> make this announcement a few times per month to see who tries to
> hit me) and I've never been even slightly affected by viral activity on
> any internet box I deal with... some of them online 24/7.
>
> Corporate rules for a bunch of zombie users usually don't apply to
> individuals who care enough about their time on the PC to add a
> little conscious awareness to their surf & mail time in order to avoid
> the massively increased boot, shutdown, and scanning times that can
> completely ruin one's 'fun' with working on a really fast box.
>


You've obviously never met an average home computer user, then, if you
think they're going to take their time learning to properly secure their
computers.

There are several essential components to computer security: a
knowledgeable and pro-active user, a properly configured firewall,
reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, and the prompt repair (via
patches, hotfixes, or service packs) of any known vulnerabilities.

The weakest link in this "equation" is, and always will be, of
course, the computer user. No software manufacturer can -- nor should
they be expected to -- protect the computer user from him/herself. All
too many people have bought into the various PC/software manufacturers
marketing claims of easy computing. They believe that their computer
should be no harder to use than a toaster oven; they have neither the
inclination or desire to learn how to safely use their computer. All
too few people keep their antivirus software current, install patches in
a timely manner, or stop to really think about that cutesy link they're
about to click.

Firewalls and anti-virus applications, which should always be used
and should always be running, are important components of "safe hex,"
but they cannot, and should not be expected to, protect the computer
user from him/herself. Ultimately, it is incumbent upon each and every
computer user to learn how to secure his/her own computer.


> Just a preference.... I prefer clean and fast and personally aware.
> Others will prefer the snails pace, 'better safe than sorry' obliviousness.
>


Again, all you would need do is learn to properly select, install, and
configure protective software, and such products wouldn't perceptively
slow down your system. Don't blame these products for your own lack of
ability.


> On a side note... for over 5 years now, I have been removing A/V from
> the computers of clients for whom I do PC maintenance & support. In
> the process I show them a couple of simple steps and *guarantee*
> that if they follow those steps... I will come for FREE for up to 2 years
> and remove any virus they catch. I'm on my 5th year of this service
> and NO ONE has contracted a virus...



No one has caught a virus, or no one has been stupid enough to let you
touch their computers again?


> .... and by now I'm probably personally
> supporting some 60-plus home and business PCs
>
>



So, have you nothing to offer besides self-admittedly very limited
experience (only 5 years and only 60 computers?) and crudely crafted
insults? Come back when you've something like 15 to 20 years supporting
hundreds of computers in various enterprise and home environments.


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin

Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand Russell

The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 11-26-2007
David Morgan \(MAMS\)
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Post-install
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 17:48:32 -0700
From: Bruce Chambers <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t>
Reply-To: bchambers@cable0ne.n3t
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.9 (Windows/20071031)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Re: Post-install
References: <2DBD252C-4D6A-4B77-9EE2-BC9E5F05853B@microsoft.com> <#vuKuC7LIHA.5160@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>
<Hln2j.31364$9h.2685@trnddc07> <uD7P2p7LIHA.6108@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl> <b%n2j.8853$ch.6732@trnddc03>
In-Reply-To: <b%n2j.8853$ch.6732@trnddc03>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 071125-0, 11/25/2007), Outbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
Message-ID: <#910QY8LIHA.5160@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
NNTP-Posting-Host: 24-117-23-132.cpe.cableone.net 24.117.23.132
Lines: 1
Path:
nwrddc01.gnilink.net!cyclone2.gnilink.net!cyclone1 .gnilink.net!gnilink.net!newshub.sdsu.edu!msrtrans !TK2MSFTFEEDS02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTN
GP01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl
Xref: news.verizon.net microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup: 32909
X-Received-Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 19:49:07 EST (nwrddc01.gnilink.net)





"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message...

> David Morgan (MAMS) wrote:


> >> It's called a general, common sense security precaution.


> > That just makes me wonder where you're kickbacks are coming from. ;-)


> Unfounded accusations instead of rational arguments supported by
> documented facts?


I suppose it's beyond your ILLUSTRIOUS demeanor to SEE THE SMILEY-FACE.
Look again, knee-jerker. :-I assure you it is there and was there.

> Why do I bother?


Apparently, strictly to feed your ego and no other reason what-so-ever
unless you are selling something.

> > "Common Sense" security is good personal habits...


> ... And taking precautions against the day when something slips by
> those habits.


Agreed.

Nothing has slipped by mine in some 14 years on dozens of *connected*
PCs. But that doesn't matter, the issue is your rudeness and the sudden
assertion of your inherent superiority.

> > everything else
> > is a slowed-down, bogged-down, invaded PC that puts money in the
> > hands of the people make such claims as you.


> Not if one knows how to properly install and configure such products,
> and maintain a PC.


I'm sorry, Mr. Hurt Ego... but I simply asked you a question. "Why" does
the OP need anti-virus before getting on line for OS updates?

And your response appears to be, "Because he's automatically to be
considered a complete IDIOT."

And if you're saying A/V software does NOT slow boot time, you are lying.

And if you're saying it only does because the user has configured it incorrectly,
you are lying again.

> > Windows Update
> > is going to throw a virus out??


> Not intentionally, no.


What are the chances? A hundred billion to one? Actually, the chances
of acquiring ANY virus while web surfing anything but **** sites is about
1,000,000,000 to one. We all know that servers are protected and virii
come to end users through e-mails. Mal-ware is another issue.

> But all web sites are potentially capable of
> being compromised and exploited.


Oooo... run and be scared !! Buy some software & pretend you are safe !!

At about a 500,000 to one scare ratio... it's not even worthy of thought.

> Further, I wasn't aware that Windows
> Update was the sum total of the Internet.


Did anyone say that it was? (But you go ahead and make things up, I
understand your need to maintain superiority over NOTHING by inserting
false assumptions and directing the issue away from it's focus).

> When did that happen?


When the OP asked his question about obtaining updates. Otherwise, I
never would have asked mine of you. Really... perhaps you should take
a Valium or something. This is *not* a big issue. I just tossed out some
personal experiences as an end user to justify my question to you. No
need to go all Mount Vesuvius & last days of Pompeii on me....

> > Seriously... I had my own personal experiences with both the majors
> > 10 thru15 years ago, and deal with them a few times a week in service
> > PCs. I took ALL A/V out of my machines almost 10 years ago (and I
> > make this announcement a few times per month to see who tries to
> > hit me) and I've never been even slightly affected by viral activity on
> > any internet box I deal with... some of them online 24/7.
> >
> > Corporate rules for a bunch of zombie users usually don't apply to
> > individuals who care enough about their time on the PC to add a
> > little conscious awareness to their surf & mail time in order to avoid
> > the massively increased boot, shutdown, and scanning times that can
> > completely ruin one's 'fun' with working on a really fast box.


> You've obviously never met an average home computer user, then, if you
> think they're going to take their time learning to properly secure their
> computers.


I clarified my position by stating "individuals who care"... your response,
however, means that you have immediately classified the OP (and myself,
but the latter is not relevant) as a working dunce. That's presumtuous and
rude.

> There are several essential components to computer security: a
> knowledgeable and pro-active user,


That's my point. Thank you. 'Toaster' users need a firewall... and they
also have no clue as to why the toast burned while they were waiting
for their PC to boot if they have A/V, they don't know... they aren't the
people I'm talking about. However, with a couple of pointers, *anyone*
can run perfectly well without Anti-Virus protection.

> a properly configured firewall,


Excellent item to have on board (unless it comes with the major A/V
packages).

> reliable and up-to-date antivirus software,


Completely and totally irrelevant if a human being understands how virus
are received and passed. You'll note that I am not saying, and have not
said, that it is not needed for some people. I'm saying it's a complete
waste of time for anyone with a brain who cares. Personally, I don't
like to speak to strangers as if they are complete Morons until they
have proven such. But my real point is, I don't think it's needed before
going on line to take a fresh OS install to MS for updates.

> and the prompt repair (via
> patches, hotfixes, or service packs) of any known vulnerabilities.


That's a given.... ho-hum... you sould like a broken (salesman) record.
(But ya' know what... I'd advise doing that manually, *not* automatically ;-).

> The weakest link in this "equation" is, and always will be, of
> course, the computer user.


My point again.... But they aren't *all* imbeciles and therefore shouldn't
be automatically, by default attitude, treated as such IMHO.

> Ultimately, it is incumbent upon each and every
> computer user to learn how to secure his/her own computer.


My point again. And all of them aren't _automatically_ IDIOTs, are they ???

> > Just a preference.... I prefer clean and fast and personally aware.
> > Others will prefer the snails pace, 'better safe than sorry' obliviousness.


> Again, all you would need do is learn to properly select, install, and
> configure protective software, and such products wouldn't perceptively
> slow down your system. Don't blame these products for your own lack of
> ability.


You know something.... I'm actually just a little bored today, and generally
I really appreciate your posts... but you not only have failed to justify why
I should have A/V before updating a new OS install - but now, in addition
to telling me that I have NO ability.... you're also telling me that Anti-Virus
products DO NOT affect the boot-up and shut down time of the computer.
And if they do, it is the end users fault.

Well.... I'm sorry PCGod, but that is a lie. Please contain yourself. You
can not add Macaffee or Symanrec (or even AVG) to a PC and not
completely alter the operating characteristics... most expecially boot time.
Please don't assert that you can.

> > On a side note... for over 5 years now, I have been removing A/V from
> > the computers of clients for whom I do PC maintenance & support. In
> > the process I show them a couple of simple steps and *guarantee*
> > that if they follow those steps... I will come for FREE for up to 2 years
> > and remove any virus they catch. I'm on my 5th year of this service
> > and NO ONE has contracted a virus...


> No one has caught a virus, or no one has been stupid enough to let you
> touch their computers again?


Ah..... we have the 'intimidation' factor, coupled with the 'personal attack'
factor, coupled with the knee-jerking, "I've been insulted" syndrome.

Get a life, Dr. PC. Attacking your ally isn't solving anything except the
possible question as to whom has a personality larger than a slug's.

> > .... and by now I'm probably personally
> > supporting some 60-plus home and business PCs


> So, have you nothing to offer besides self-admittedly very limited
> experience (only 5 years and only 60 computers?) and crudely crafted
> insults? Come back when you've something like 15 to 20 years supporting
> hundreds of computers in various enterprise and home environments.


You like reading between the lines and being a presumptuous, pompous
ass, don't you ???

Perhaps that's why you treat people as if they're all completely nuts except
yourself.

Well.... just for the fellow with the *very bad* insight... I'll explain:

I've only been offering my services publically, *with a warranty,* for 5 years...
Why should I feel obligated to offer more information on me while in search
of a valid response from YOU ?!?

For whatever it's worth to you or your small-minded opinion, I have been
computer savvy since my first TRS-80 and since ordering parts with
punch-cards on a tape-based IBMs in the mid 60s. I've been on UseNet
since it was Fido-Net, and I've been working with both Macs and PCs
for *well over* 20 years

You may play your game of superiority all you like.... but I will remind you,
this is the only reason I spoke at all. People deserve SOME respect.
Now you've made *me* knee-jerk.... sorry... but do stop being such an
ass, please?

I don't believe that it should be considered mandatory to install A/V software
before seeking Microsoft OS updates on a fresh install and I asked you why
you seemed to think it was? I'm sorry if that was offensive enough that you
felt it necessary to attack, belittle, and lie about me repetitively.

Have a nice day,


--
David B. Morgan (MAMS)
Morgan Audio Media Service
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com
Dallas, Texas (214) 662-9901
_____________________________
http://www.januarysound.com













Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article ID: 934538 You cannot turn on an optional feature, install a Windows update, install a hotfix, or install a language pack on a Windows Vista-based computer KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Regarding Your Post Pietr'''' Phudpuckr microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 16 10-21-2007 15:48
Re: BitLocker Post OS-Install - Boot & Partition Considerations =?Utf-8?B?TmV2c2t5?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 1 02-01-2007 07:48
RE: BitLocker Post OS-Install - Boot & Partition Considerations =?Utf-8?B?VG9ueSBOb3J0aHJ1cCwgTVZQ?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 0 12-13-2006 19:00
Re: BitLocker Post OS-Install - Boot & Partition Considerations Jamie Hunter [MS] microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 0 12-06-2006 22:01




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:24.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120