Dual Boot problem

Jeff

Dual Boot problem
Hello,

I just bought a new HP Pavillion tx1000 laptop. It came with Vista Home
Premium. I wanted to create a Dual boot with XP Professional. In the past I
have done this many times, but with those installations I had installed XP
first. With this one Vista was installed first. But through research I was
able to get it to work. Now I can boot with both.

Note it has only 1 HD and I Partitioned it.

However, in the past when I did this, if lets say the C Drive had Windows XP
and the D Drive had Vista, when booting into XP it would be like this. But
if I booted into Vista Windows would swap the drives and once in Vista the C
Drive would now be the Vista Drive and D Drive would now be the XP Drive.
Which is correct.

But with this installation when I boot to Vista it takes the C Drive and XP
the D Drive. When I boot into XP, the C Drive now stays as the Vista Drive
and the XP Drive stays as D. So in other words they are not swapping like
with the other installations, XP is the loaded OS but everything is on the D
Drive.

What did I do wrong ? How can this be changed so it does the swapping like
normal. I mean I know 1 way would be to re-install EVERYTHING, starting with
XP first then Vista but that would take another few hours. I was hoping
there is some way to avoid that.

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jeff
Mick Murphy

RE: Dual Boot problem
everything is fine; vista always wants the C drive

"Jeff" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just bought a new HP Pavillion tx1000 laptop. It came with Vista Home
> Premium. I wanted to create a Dual boot with XP Professional. In the past I
> have done this many times, but with those installations I had installed XP
> first. With this one Vista was installed first. But through research I was
> able to get it to work. Now I can boot with both.
>
> Note it has only 1 HD and I Partitioned it.
>
> However, in the past when I did this, if lets say the C Drive had Windows XP
> and the D Drive had Vista, when booting into XP it would be like this. But
> if I booted into Vista Windows would swap the drives and once in Vista the C
> Drive would now be the Vista Drive and D Drive would now be the XP Drive.
> Which is correct.
>
> But with this installation when I boot to Vista it takes the C Drive and XP
> the D Drive. When I boot into XP, the C Drive now stays as the Vista Drive
> and the XP Drive stays as D. So in other words they are not swapping like
> with the other installations, XP is the loaded OS but everything is on the D
> Drive.
>
> What did I do wrong ? How can this be changed so it does the swapping like
> normal. I mean I know 1 way would be to re-install EVERYTHING, starting with
> XP first then Vista but that would take another few hours. I was hoping
> there is some way to avoid that.
>
> Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> Jeff

John Barnes

Re: Dual Boot problem
If you want XP to be a D drive, it must be installed on the second partition
in enumeration sequence when installed. You can search the Knowledgebase to
find the enumeration sequencing.

"Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news1304455-C093-400D-855F-0DF2BC7414CF@microsoft.com...
> Hello,
>
> I just bought a new HP Pavillion tx1000 laptop. It came with Vista Home
> Premium. I wanted to create a Dual boot with XP Professional. In the
> past I
> have done this many times, but with those installations I had installed XP
> first. With this one Vista was installed first. But through research I
> was
> able to get it to work. Now I can boot with both.
>
> Note it has only 1 HD and I Partitioned it.
>
> However, in the past when I did this, if lets say the C Drive had Windows
> XP
> and the D Drive had Vista, when booting into XP it would be like this.
> But
> if I booted into Vista Windows would swap the drives and once in Vista the
> Drive would now be the Vista Drive and D Drive would now be the XP Drive.
> Which is correct.
>
> But with this installation when I boot to Vista it takes the C Drive and
> XP
> the D Drive. When I boot into XP, the C Drive now stays as the Vista
> Drive
> and the XP Drive stays as D. So in other words they are not swapping like
> with the other installations, XP is the loaded OS but everything is on the
> Drive.
>
> What did I do wrong ? How can this be changed so it does the swapping
> like
> normal. I mean I know 1 way would be to re-install EVERYTHING, starting
> with
> XP first then Vista but that would take another few hours. I was hoping
> there is some way to avoid that.
>
> Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> Jeff

Jeff

Re: Dual Boot problem
Hello,

Thnx for the resposnses but neither understood my question.

I cant have XP installed on the D Drive, I want it to be the C Drive also...

How can this be changed ?

Thnx,
Jeff

"John Barnes" wrote:

> If you want XP to be a D drive, it must be installed on the second partition
> in enumeration sequence when installed. You can search the Knowledgebase to
> find the enumeration sequencing.
>
> "Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news1304455-C093-400D-855F-0DF2BC7414CF@microsoft.com...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I just bought a new HP Pavillion tx1000 laptop. It came with Vista Home
> > Premium. I wanted to create a Dual boot with XP Professional. In the
> > past I
> > have done this many times, but with those installations I had installed XP
> > first. With this one Vista was installed first. But through research I
> > was
> > able to get it to work. Now I can boot with both.
> >
> > Note it has only 1 HD and I Partitioned it.
> >
> > However, in the past when I did this, if lets say the C Drive had Windows
> > XP
> > and the D Drive had Vista, when booting into XP it would be like this.
> > But
> > if I booted into Vista Windows would swap the drives and once in Vista the
> > Drive would now be the Vista Drive and D Drive would now be the XP Drive.
> > Which is correct.
> >
> > But with this installation when I boot to Vista it takes the C Drive and
> > XP
> > the D Drive. When I boot into XP, the C Drive now stays as the Vista
> > Drive
> > and the XP Drive stays as D. So in other words they are not swapping like
> > with the other installations, XP is the loaded OS but everything is on the
> > Drive.
> >
> > What did I do wrong ? How can this be changed so it does the swapping
> > like
> > normal. I mean I know 1 way would be to re-install EVERYTHING, starting
> > with
> > XP first then Vista but that would take another few hours. I was hoping
> > there is some way to avoid that.
> >
> > Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Jeff

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

Re: Dual Boot problem

"Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3C785776-C134-4064-AAB5-2F6B3354D687@microsoft.com...
> Hello,
>
> Thnx for the resposnses but neither understood my question.
>
> I cant have XP installed on the D Drive, I want it to be the C Drive also...
>
> How can this be changed ?

If you are to avoid 'virtual machines'....

Use removable drive bays and put each OS on it's own hard drive.

John Barnes

Re: Dual Boot problem
You would need a second drive and have it first in boot priority with the
first partition primary and active for that to be done. Otherwise, you
would need to install it on the first primary partition and install Vista on
the second on the one hard drive.

"Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Thnx for the resposnses but neither understood my question.
>
> I cant have XP installed on the D Drive, I want it to be the C Drive
> also...
>
> How can this be changed ?
>
> Thnx,
> Jeff
>

> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> If you want XP to be a D drive, it must be installed on the second
>> partition
>> in enumeration sequence when installed. You can search the Knowledgebase
>> find the enumeration sequencing.
>>
>> "Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news1304455-C093-400D-855F-0DF2BC7414CF@microsoft.com...
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I just bought a new HP Pavillion tx1000 laptop. It came with Vista
>> > Premium. I wanted to create a Dual boot with XP Professional. In the
>> > past I
>> > have done this many times, but with those installations I had installed
>> > XP
>> > first. With this one Vista was installed first. But through research
>> > was
>> > able to get it to work. Now I can boot with both.
>> >
>> > Note it has only 1 HD and I Partitioned it.
>> >
>> > However, in the past when I did this, if lets say the C Drive had
>> > Windows
>> > XP
>> > and the D Drive had Vista, when booting into XP it would be like this.
>> > But
>> > if I booted into Vista Windows would swap the drives and once in Vista
>> > the
>> > Drive would now be the Vista Drive and D Drive would now be the XP
>> > Drive.
>> > Which is correct.
>> >
>> > But with this installation when I boot to Vista it takes the C Drive
>> > and
>> > XP
>> > the D Drive. When I boot into XP, the C Drive now stays as the Vista
>> > Drive
>> > and the XP Drive stays as D. So in other words they are not swapping
>> > like
>> > with the other installations, XP is the loaded OS but everything is on
>> > the
>> > Drive.
>> >
>> > What did I do wrong ? How can this be changed so it does the swapping
>> > like
>> > normal. I mean I know 1 way would be to re-install EVERYTHING,
>> > starting
>> > with
>> > XP first then Vista but that would take another few hours. I was
>> > hoping
>> > there is some way to avoid that.
>> >
>> > Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thank you,
>> > Jeff

andy

Re: Dual Boot problem
Make the partition you install XP on an active primary partition. Then
when you run XP setup, it should assign C: to the active primary
partition. When installation is done, you have to repair the boot
setup on either the Vista or XP partition to achieve dual boot.

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 23:40:00 -0800, Jeff