This is a question on Registry mechanic, spy dr and PC Tools virus

kumarmohana

This is a question on Registry mechanic, spy dr and PC Tools virus
Friends,
Can any one guide me how to install this following softwares. I have
recently bought a new computer with Windows Vista. The brand name is HP
Pavilion series. Now i am facing real problems since no one is ready to help
me queries. The HP says it is not there problem and the software co too is
not able to give me a comfortable answer. This software was wkg fine with XP
operating system. I installed this after my new co was bought now all of a
sudden one day the registry mechanic stopped functioning so too spy dr and pc
tools anti virus software.. I have tried uninstalling them and reinstalling
them...I have tried all that i could and i am now totally run out of
ideas..If some one is able to help me install these software to my system i
will be grateful..I need your help and step by step installation procedure..i
am not that computer savvy..please help me..thanks a ton in advance..
SN22
Mr. Arnold

Re: This is a question on Registry mechanic, spy dr and PC Tools virus

"kumarmohana" <kumarmohana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Friends,
> Can any one guide me how to install this following softwares. I have
> recently bought a new computer with Windows Vista. The brand name is HP
> Pavilion series. Now i am facing real problems since no one is ready to
> help
> me queries. The HP says it is not there problem and the software co too is
> not able to give me a comfortable answer. This software was wkg fine with
> XP
> operating system. I installed this after my new co was bought now all of a
> sudden one day the registry mechanic stopped functioning so too spy dr and
> pc
> tools anti virus software.. I have tried uninstalling them and
> reinstalling
> them...I have tried all that i could and i am now totally run out of
> ideas..If some one is able to help me install these software to my system
> will be grateful..I need your help and step by step installation
> procedure..i
> am not that computer savvy..please help me..thanks a ton in advance..
> SN22

You find software that is Vista compliant is the bottom line, if you're are
not doing so. You don't install software that's intended to run on the XP
O/S on a computer that's running Vista, because installing such software
can and does cause problems that you are facing.

Do tell me that you have created the O/S Restore discs, which HP should
should have given you literature on as the very first thing you should have
done before anything else so that you can return the computer to a state
before you started installing software.

It only takes one piece of software and its software components (common
software components that are non Vista compliant) used by other Vista
compliant software running on the computer, which will cause problems for
all.

http://www.bestvistadownloads.com/
http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=5175

kumarmohana

Re: This is a question on Registry mechanic, spy dr and PC Tools v
Dear Arnold,
Thanks a ton. Yes i have mentioned that i am not that computer savvy. The
retailer or the co has never informed me that i have to make back up discs.
Does this mean i just cannot use these softwares in my Window vista opearitng
system. when i bought this computer all this softwares were working very well
then why suddenly this has stopped is it because i have not taken the back up
disc which was what i had to do as per your mail. Can I now do that..to be
these softwares were working well till the date the norton virus software
where uninstalled from my computer since the renewal period was over and i
downloaded/ purchased soft wares from PC Tools co. Do you have any
suggestions or it is a loss to me..Which is the best antivirus software which
i can no install in my window vista. Once again really sorry to have bothered
you since you seem to be computer software expert.. Regards and have a great
week end. SN22
--
SN22

"Mr. Arnold" wrote:

> "kumarmohana" <kumarmohana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Friends,
> > Can any one guide me how to install this following softwares. I have
> > recently bought a new computer with Windows Vista. The brand name is HP
> > Pavilion series. Now i am facing real problems since no one is ready to
> > help
> > me queries. The HP says it is not there problem and the software co too is
> > not able to give me a comfortable answer. This software was wkg fine with
> > XP
> > operating system. I installed this after my new co was bought now all of a
> > sudden one day the registry mechanic stopped functioning so too spy dr and
> > pc
> > tools anti virus software.. I have tried uninstalling them and
> > reinstalling
> > them...I have tried all that i could and i am now totally run out of
> > ideas..If some one is able to help me install these software to my system
> > will be grateful..I need your help and step by step installation
> > procedure..i
> > am not that computer savvy..please help me..thanks a ton in advance..
> > SN22

> You find software that is Vista compliant is the bottom line, if you're are
> not doing so. You don't install software that's intended to run on the XP
> O/S on a computer that's running Vista, because installing such software
> can and does cause problems that you are facing.
>
> Do tell me that you have created the O/S Restore discs, which HP should
> should have given you literature on as the very first thing you should have
> done before anything else so that you can return the computer to a state
> before you started installing software.
>
> It only takes one piece of software and its software components (common
> software components that are non Vista compliant) used by other Vista
> compliant software running on the computer, which will cause problems for
> all.
>
> http://www.bestvistadownloads.com/
> http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=5175

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: This is a question on Registry mechanic, spy dr and PC Tools v
You need to uninstall anything and everything from PC Tools, uninstall
Norton and System Mechanic, and having done that, FORGET about them. Do NOT
re-install them.

Before installing anything at all, go to the software author websites and
check out whether or not the software will run properly in Vista. Just
because something installs in Vista does not mean that all is ok, but a
surprising amount will install AND run properly.

If you are going to run a firewall, stay with Vista Firewall. Unless you
understand the messages that a third party firewall will throw at you, you
are best to stay with something simple that works. If possible, install a
router between the computer and modem.

Anti-virus solutions that do work while not bringing your system to its
knees do exist. AVG and Avast produce very good free versions. If you are
not happy with free versions, then pay for NOD32.

Avoid ANY program or application which promises to fix al of Windows ills.
Many are just 'snake oil' or plain dangerous when used by the unwary. This
includes programs like System Mechanic, registry cleaners etc.

To combat spyware/malware, use Windows Defender (already part of Vista),
Hostsman and WinPatrol. Read the help files such that you understand the
basics of how they work and why you should have them.

Briefly, Windows Defender automatically updates itself, and will give better
protection because of that than any program relying on you remembering to
update it.

Hostsman loads a file into your computer with information that will stop IE7
opening pages that are bad and will also prevent you interacting with web
sites or elements of web sites that would prove harmful to your computer.

WinPatrol will warn you if any program is trying to install itself into
Startup, plus a whole host of other features.

Even using Windows Disk Cleanup can lead to stuff disappearing that you may
have wanted. When checking options over and above what is checked by
default, ensure that you fully understand the consequences.

Do NOT follow the advice in web sites like BlackViper.com unless you fully
understand the implications of the changes that will be made and unless you
KNOW how to reverse the changes. Do NOT assume anything. If you do not
understand something you have read, ASK others for clarification.

'Backing up' is a term used for the procedure whereby important data is
saved to an external device or a device where the media can be removed and
stored safely away from the computer. Backup programs are specialized and
will save whatever is being backed up in compressed and proprietary formats.
If you are going to get into full system backups, purchase an external
backup device, or get a second hard drive installed internally.

Run backup tests to ensure that you know how to backup and restore from
backups. Always make more than one backup. This applies to saving to CD/DVD
too. Never rely on just one backup.

Also remember that backing up is an ongoing process, as is saving to CD/DVD.
Get into the habit of doing regular backups.

For many users, a specialized backup program is NOT required. A great way to
back up important documents etc is the use of the CD/DVD authoring software
supplied with systems. Take the time to find out how to use it and do some
test saves. Do NOT wait until your system is in an unmanageable state before
learning how to do this.

Your HP computer originally started up with an 'Introduction' window
containing information on various aspects of your computer, one of which was
backing up the system. It also informs how to do a full system recovery in
the event of a major failure and various states in between.

As long as you use your CD/DVD authoring software to save important stuff,
you should be able to recover your system to a workable state, with all data
intact.

--
Mike Hall - MVP

> [...]

>> have
>> done before anything else so that you can return the computer to a state
>> before you started installing software.
>>
>> It only takes one piece of software and its software components (common
>> software components that are non Vista compliant) used by other Vista
>> compliant software running on the computer, which will cause problems for
>> all.
>>
>> http://www.bestvistadownloads.com/
>> http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=5175

Mr. Arnold

Re: This is a question on Registry mechanic, spy dr and PC Tools v

"kumarmohana" <kumarmohana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear Arnold,
> Thanks a ton. Yes i have mentioned that i am not that computer savvy. The
> retailer or the co has never informed me that i have to make back up

Yes, that is what you must do first before you start doing anything else is
to make the Restore/Install discs, because the operating system (Vista) is
pre-installed on the computer. They did not give you a Vista install disc
because of this and you MUST make the Restore/Install disc yourself. What
happens if you totally lose the O/S and you have to reinstall Vista (the
O/S) back on the computer again? You're going to be in big trouble, because
you didn't make the Restore/Install disc.

You absolutly must get on the phone with the computer's manufacture and have
them instruct you on how to make the Restore/Install disc.

> Does this mean i just cannot use these softwares in my Window vista
> opearitng
> system. when i bought this computer all this softwares were working very
> well
> then why suddenly this has stopped is it because i have not taken the back
> up
> disc which was what i had to do as per your mail.

No, it's not because you have not made the Restore/Install disc that you're
facing problems. Most likely, your problems started because NON-VISTA
compliant software has been introduced/installed on the computer that is
causing problems with Vista and other programs running on the Vista O/S. You
could have installed the non-Vista software yourself, because you didn't
check for indications that the software was sanctioned to run on the
computer that was using the Vista O/S, or possibly malware/virus has been
installed on the computer that is causing you problems.

> Can I now do that..to be
> these softwares were working well till the date the norton virus software
> where uninstalled from my computer since the renewal period was over and i
> downloaded/ purchased soft wares from PC Tools co.

I hear it takes a lot to get Norton completely off of a computer system.
Parts of Norton being left on a computer system after the uninstall of
Norton can cause problems. There are tools you can use to make sure that
Norton is completely uninstalled from the computer.

>Do you have any
> suggestions or it is a loss to me..Which is the best antivirus software
> which
> i can no install in my window vista. Once again really sorry to have
> bothered
> you since you seem to be computer software expert.. Regards and have a
> great
> week end. SN22

The AV that I use is NOD32 which is Vista compliant, which is at
www.eset.com. There is a full version 25 day trial period software you can
install on the computer and try it.

Make sure you have Norton completely off of the computer, by going to
Norton's site and finding its removal tool.

Make sure you make the Restore/Install disc.

Make sure that any software you install on the computer is Vista
compatible/compliant software that is sanctioned to run on Vista.

You should read the information in the link too so that you understand that
you must use Vista compliant software if you install software on the
computer, if at all possible to avoid trouble.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=785

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: This is a question on Registry mechanic, spy dr and PC Tools v
HP Pavilions have a recovery partition on them. There is a BIOS setting
which must be changed to allow the appropriate F Key instruction to be
processed, giving access to complete recovery, or HP system restore..

--
Mike Hall - MVP

"Mr. Arnold" <MR. Arnold@Arnold.com> wrote in message

> [...]

>> bothered
>> you since you seem to be computer software expert.. Regards and have a
>> great
>> week end. SN22

> The AV that I use is NOD32 which is Vista compliant, which is at
> www.eset.com. There is a full version 25 day trial period software you can
> install on the computer and try it.
>
> Make sure you have Norton completely off of the computer, by going to
> Norton's site and finding its removal tool.
>
> Make sure you make the Restore/Install disc.
>
> Make sure that any software you install on the computer is Vista
> compatible/compliant software that is sanctioned to run on Vista.
>
> You should read the information in the link too so that you understand
> that you must use Vista compliant software if you install software on the
> computer, if at all possible to avoid trouble.

Mike Hall - MVP

"Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.com> wrote in message
> HP Pavilions have a recovery partition on them. There is a BIOS setting
> which must be changed to allow the appropriate F Key instruction to be
> processed, giving access to complete recovery, or HP system restore..

I have HP too, which came with Vista pre-installed. The machine should have
come with the instructions on how to make the Recovery DVD discs like mine
did. On the other hand, I want out and brought the retail version of Vista
Ultimate that has the full version of IIS7 with Front Page Extensions so
that I can do Web development work, which I have already used onetime to do
a repair install when I introduced a non-Vista compliant piece of software
that took Explore down. I was able to restore out of the situation.

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: This is a question on Registry mechanic, spy dr and PC Tools v
They all have instructions but most don't even bother to look.. :-(

Leaky Spy Tools? Paul Security News 0 10-03-2007 13:50
Leaky Spy Tools? Paul Security News 0 10-02-2007 15:10
Leaky Spy Tools? Paul Security News 0 10-02-2007 14:31