cant install xp from Vista

Chris

cant install xp from Vista
How do I convert back to XP from Vista, I know I should clean install but the
installation disk gives me no clean install option. All it showes me is if I
want to
learn more about setup, perform additional task, or check compatibility.
Install windows XP is darkened out so that I cant select it. The XP disk is
the whole XP OS, it is not an upgrade. So how do I install xp again?
Thanks Chris
Rick Rogers

Re: cant install xp from Vista
Hi Chris,

You can't start from within the Vista installation. You have to boot the
system with the XP CD and run setup. This may require that you make changes
to the boot sequence in the system BIOS so that the optical drive is loaded
before the hard drive. At the point where you choose the installation
location, you will need to remove the existing system partition, then create
a new one from the resulting free space. Format (quick is fine) and proceed
with installing. All data currently on the drive will be irretrievably lost,
so backup anything you do not want to lose.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

> How do I convert back to XP from Vista, I know I should clean install but
> the
> installation disk gives me no clean install option. All it showes me is
> if I
> want to
> learn more about setup, perform additional task, or check compatibility.
> Install windows XP is darkened out so that I cant select it. The XP disk
> is
> the whole XP OS, it is not an upgrade. So how do I install xp again?
> Thanks Chris

Bruce Chambers

Chris wrote:
> How do I convert back to XP from Vista, I know I should clean install but the
> installation disk gives me no clean install option. All it showes me is if I
> want to
> learn more about setup, perform additional task, or check compatibility.
> Install windows XP is darkened out so that I cant select it. The XP disk is
> the whole XP OS, it is not an upgrade. So how do I install xp again?
> Thanks Chris

If you upgraded to Vista from WinXP:

How to go back to Windows XP after you have upgraded a Windows XP-based
computer to Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933170/en-us

How to restore a computer to a previous Windows installation after you
install Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933168/en-us

Otherwise:

After backing up any data you wish to transfer to the new OS
installation, simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be
offered the opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part
of the installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of
boot devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)

HOW TO Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default...B;en-us;316941

Then the backed up data can be restored and applications (Those
that are WinXP-compatible, that is) re-installed.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm