Vista install partitions

gregparsons

Vista install partitions
Hello,

I bought a new computer with Windows Vista Home Premium pre-installed on it.
I recently reinstalled the system with the supplied Recovery cd and when I
got to the screen where it asks you if you want to delete a partition, i did
so.

My question is this, when i first saw the partition set up screen it showed
my main drive with approx 298 GB and another smaller partition that was
either unallocated or unpartitioned space and after deleting the main
partition and creating a new one, it only showed the main partition and not
that smaller unpartitioned or unallocated one, did I mess up the partition?

Do I need that smaller unpartitioned/unallocated partition back or is it
okay to not have one?

Also, if you could please describe what those smaller unpartitioned spaces
mean it would help a lot as I'm new to this.

Thanks
Rick Rogers

Re: Vista install partitions
Hi,

Small, unused blocks of space on the hard drive occur because of how
partitions are aligned. Generally, with NTFS volumes they are less than 8MB
in size. Whether or not they are there should have no effect on the system's
performance.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/