BCD: who or what creates the BCD file?

Fabelus

BCD: who or what creates the BCD file?
Hi. I have a technical questions

During Vista installation process, who or what creates the BCD file? Can I
find specific windows application that works during OS installation in order
to generate the BCD file containing information on active patition to boot?

After Vista installation, If BCD need to be repaired (trough Vista DVD)
because the active OS partition is not indicated in BCD file, what does it
means? What kind of problem occurred during installation?

Thanks
Mick Murphy

RE: BCD: who or what creates the BCD file?
If it is not broken.........lol.

"Fabelus" wrote:

> Hi. I have a technical questions
>
> During Vista installation process, who or what creates the BCD file? Can I
> find specific windows application that works during OS installation in order
> to generate the BCD file containing information on active patition to boot?
>
> After Vista installation, If BCD need to be repaired (trough Vista DVD)
> because the active OS partition is not indicated in BCD file, what does it
> means? What kind of problem occurred during installation?
>
> Thanks

Rick Rogers

Re: who or what creates the BCD file?
Hi,

The file being loaded at boot is winload.exe. It's path is being read from
the bcd file which in turn has been loaded by the mbr after the system
transfers control to the hard drive from the BIOS. The bcd file itself is
created when Vista is installed, and it's not written so much as it is part
of the Vista image that is transferred to the hard drive during setup. If
the mbr is corrupted or otherwise overwritten, a startup repair from the
Vista DVD can fix it.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/