Outlook 2003 conflict - Vista Home Premium

jomuir

Outlook 2003 conflict - Vista Home Premium
I have a new pc with Vista Home Premium on it (unknown to me it had Office
2007 trial version on it) and I instantly installed Office 2003 on it. I had
problems straight away, then is when I notice that Office 2007 was already
installed. So I uninstalled all versions of Office, and started again to
install Office 2003 – everything works well and was well happy until I
started using Outlook 2003. I keep on getting the following error:-“A recent
installed program may cause Microsoft Office or other e-mail-enabled programs
to function improperly. Outlook can resolve this conflict without affecting
the program that originally caused the problem. Do you want Outlook to
resolve this problem?” …… If I click “yes” get another popup:-”Outlook was
unable to resolve the conflict between a recently installed program and
Microsoft Office or other e-mail-enabled programs. Outlook needs to modify a
system component that another program is currently using. To fix this
problem, please restart Windows.”

This still does not work!!

I uninstalled everything again and same results, how can I resolve this?

Or at least stop the popups as it is not preventing Outlook 2003 working!

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mr. Arnold

Re: Outlook 2003 conflict - Vista Home Premium

"jomuir" <jomuir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a new pc with Vista Home Premium on it (unknown to me it had Office
> 2007 trial version on it) and I instantly installed Office 2003 on it. I
> had
> problems straight away, then is when I notice that Office 2007 was already
> installed. So I uninstalled all versions of Office, and started again to
> install Office 2003 – everything works well and was well happy until I
> started using Outlook 2003. I keep on getting the following error:-“A
> recent
> installed program may cause Microsoft Office or other e-mail-enabled
> programs
> to function improperly. Outlook can resolve this conflict without
> affecting
> the program that originally caused the problem. Do you want Outlook to
> resolve this problem?” …… If I click “yes” get another popup:-”Outlook was
> unable to resolve the conflict between a recently installed program and
> Microsoft Office or other e-mail-enabled programs. Outlook needs to modify
> system component that another program is currently using. To fix this
> problem, please restart Windows.”
>
> This still does not work!!
>

> I uninstalled everything again and same results, how can I resolve this?
>
> Or at least stop the popups as it is not preventing Outlook 2003 working!

You need to find this other program or programs that are holding on to this
resource. You need to shutdown all programs running in the background
before doing the Outlook procedure, because when you finally get to the
desktop, the resource is being held again.

You could try using msconfig at the Run Box, go to the Startup tab, uncheck
everything so that no program is running in the background that can be
holding on to the resource.

You can also try going into Safemode, which may not start programs that
could tie up the resource, and try to work it out that way too.

The bottom line is that you need to find the program or programs that may be
holding on to the resource and shut them down, before you can do what you
need to do.

Mick Murphy

RE: Outlook 2003 conflict - Vista Home Premium
Also, right-click on the Taskbar, and bring up Task Manager to see what is
running.

"jomuir" wrote:

> I have a new pc with Vista Home Premium on it (unknown to me it had Office
> 2007 trial version on it) and I instantly installed Office 2003 on it. I had
> problems straight away, then is when I notice that Office 2007 was already
> installed. So I uninstalled all versions of Office, and started again to
> install Office 2003 – everything works well and was well happy until I
> started using Outlook 2003. I keep on getting the following error:-“A recent
> installed program may cause Microsoft Office or other e-mail-enabled programs
> to function improperly. Outlook can resolve this conflict without affecting
> the program that originally caused the problem. Do you want Outlook to
> resolve this problem?” …… If I click “yes” get another popup:-”Outlook was
> unable to resolve the conflict between a recently installed program and
> Microsoft Office or other e-mail-enabled programs. Outlook needs to modify a
> system component that another program is currently using. To fix this
> problem, please restart Windows.”
>
> This still does not work!!
>

> I uninstalled everything again and same results, how can I resolve this?
>
> Or at least stop the popups as it is not preventing Outlook 2003 working!
>
> Thanks,
> Jonathan

jomuir

Re: Outlook 2003 conflict - Vista Home Premium
Hi,

Thanks for the help!!!

Right I tried using msconfig at the Run Box, go to the Startup tab, uncheck
everything so that no program is running in the background that can be
holding on to the resource - but it did not work!!

So I left it with no programs running and while in msconfig went to the boot
section and requested to boot in safe mode. After a reboot (now in safe mode)
I opened Outlook and recieved the 1st popup again, click yes...........and
recieved no more popups!! Then back into msconfig/boot set back to normal -
rebooted.

Back into msconfig and activated all the programs again and then
rebooted.........this seems to have resolved my problem!!!

Thank you again!!!