re-installing

Catbed

re-installing
i want to do a clean re-install of vista home premium and reformat my hard
drive. do i need to do anything to re use my product key? it's going to go on
the same computer as it was before. and do i just boot from the disk and
choose repair?
Rick Rogers

Re: re-installing
Hi,

You don't need to do anything special with the Product Key. When you go to
reactivate it, you will need to select the phone activation method as the
automated system will report your key as already in use. The phone method
will allow you to reactivate (if/when the initial automated sequence fails,
just hold the line for a real person).

Incidentally, if you don't format and have sufficient space, the original
installation will simply be moved to a windows.old folder where you can
later recover any data files left behind. Vista, unlike XP and its
predecessors, does not do an "over the top" repair install.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Catbed" <Catbed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i want to do a clean re-install of vista home premium and reformat my hard
> drive. do i need to do anything to re use my product key? it's going to go
> on
> the same computer as it was before. and do i just boot from the disk and
> choose repair?

John Barnett MVP

Re: re-installing
Just ensure that you have any necessary drivers to hand that you may need.
Vista can usually has the necessary drivers, but it is always best to have
the originals available just in case. Other than that all yu need do is
re-install. Rick has already mentioned about activation, however, if you
have had Vista premium installed some time on your PC then you 'may not'
have to use telephone activation. I've installed Vista numerous time and
haven't 'yet' had to use the telephone activation; however, as Rick has
pointed out, you should be aware of the potential problems.

You can find more information on installing Vista on my website:
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/install_windows_vista.htm

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Catbed" <Catbed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i want to do a clean re-install of vista home premium and reformat my hard
> drive. do i need to do anything to re use my product key? it's going to go
> on
> the same computer as it was before. and do i just boot from the disk and
> choose repair?

John Barnes

Re: re-installing
In addition to the above, it could depend on whether you have an OEM, Full
or Upgrade version. If you upgraded from XP, you will have to reinstall it
and start over unless you do the upgrade over the currently installed Vista
as Rick opined. OEM and Full can be clean installed.