Repair your computer option doesn't exist

PosPcJunky

Repair your computer option doesn't exist
Purchased a PowerSpec B645 w/Vista Business.
I have a reinstallation disc from the manufacturer.
I have everything installed and want to make a complete PC backup, and did.
However, now I want to test the backup and noticed I do not have the option
to "repair your computer" either off the CD or in F8 mode.
I contacted Microcenter and they stated this is an optional OPK or something
and and something about WindowsRE and it's not part of a standard install.
So, my questions are two fold:
A) is there some way I can restore my computer?
B) If not, is there something I can point out to Microcenter/PowerSpec that
they are supposed to provide this funcationality as this is a key function to
Vista Business and they are obliged to comply? Who or can I talk w/somebody
at Microsoft about this?

John Inzer

Re: Repair your computer option doesn't exist
PosPcJunky wrote:
> Purchased a PowerSpec B645 w/Vista Business.
> I have a reinstallation disc from the manufacturer.
> I have everything installed and want to make a complete PC backup,
> and did. However, now I want to test the backup and noticed I do not
> have the option to "repair your computer" either off the CD or in F8
> mode.
> I contacted Microcenter and they stated this is an optional OPK or
> something and and something about WindowsRE and it's not part of a
> standard install. So, my questions are two fold:
> A) is there some way I can restore my computer?
> B) If not, is there something I can point out to
> Microcenter/PowerSpec that they are supposed to provide this
> funcationality as this is a key function to Vista Business and they
> are obliged to comply? Who or can I talk w/somebody at Microsoft
> about this?

===================================

Maybe the following articles will offer some ideas:

Windows Vista -
A Guide to Windows Vista
Backup Technologies
http://tinyurl.com/386332

Windows Vista -
Windows Backup and Restore Center
http://tinyurl.com/yu6dge

(938316) You may be unable to completely
restore a Windows Vista-based computer by
using Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938316/en-us

Windows Vista -
Back up your files with
Vista's Back Up Files wizard:
http://tinyurl.com/2mz4ft

Windows Vista -
Restoring files with Vista's
Restore Files wizard
http://tinyurl.com/35js68

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Greg

Re: Repair your computer option doesn't exist
I wish "tinyurl" was banned so people could actually see what and where
a link goes.

A nice idea that can be abused all too easily.

Greg wrote:
> I wish "tinyurl" was banned so people could actually see what and
> where a link goes.

===================================
I use tinyurl because many newsreaders clip
the full links. Here they are if you need them:

Windows Vista -
A Guide to Windows Vista
Backup Technologies
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...007/09/Backup/

Windows Vista -
Windows Backup and Restore Center
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ls/backup.mspx

Windows Vista -
Back up your files with
Vista's Back Up Files wizard:
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-6179067.html

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-6180819.html

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Mick Murphy

Re: Repair your computer option doesn't exist
i agree with you Greg; 1/2 the time it is a **** site!!

"Greg" wrote:

> I wish "tinyurl" was banned so people could actually see what and where
> a link goes.
>
> A nice idea that can be abused all too easily.
>
> "John Inzer" <oobie@doobie.xyz> wrote in message
> > PosPcJunky wrote:
> >> Purchased a PowerSpec B645 w/Vista Business.
> >> I have a reinstallation disc from the manufacturer.
> >> I have everything installed and want to make a complete PC backup,
> >> and did. However, now I want to test the backup and noticed I do not
> >> have the option to "repair your computer" either off the CD or in F8
> >> mode.
> >> I contacted Microcenter and they stated this is an optional OPK or
> >> something and and something about WindowsRE and it's not part of a
> >> standard install. So, my questions are two fold:
> >> A) is there some way I can restore my computer?
> >> B) If not, is there something I can point out to
> >> Microcenter/PowerSpec that they are supposed to provide this
> >> funcationality as this is a key function to Vista Business and they
> >> are obliged to comply? Who or can I talk w/somebody at Microsoft
> >> about this?

> > ===================================
> >
> > Maybe the following articles will offer some ideas:
> >
> > Windows Vista -
> > A Guide to Windows Vista
> > Backup Technologies
> > http://tinyurl.com/386332
> >
> > Windows Vista -
> > Windows Backup and Restore Center
> > http://tinyurl.com/yu6dge
> >
> > (938316) You may be unable to completely
> > restore a Windows Vista-based computer by
> > using Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)
> >
> > Windows Vista -
> > Back up your files with
> > Vista's Back Up Files wizard:
> > http://tinyurl.com/2mz4ft
> >
> > Windows Vista -
> > Restoring files with Vista's
> > Restore Files wizard
> > http://tinyurl.com/35js68
> >
> > --
> >
> > John Inzer
> > MS Picture It! -
> > Digital Image MVP
> >
> > Digital Image
> > Highlights and FAQs
> > http://tinyurl.com/aczzp
> >
> > Notice
> > This is not tech support
> > I am a volunteer
> >
> > Solutions that work for
> > me may not work for you
> >
> > Proceed at your own risk

PosPcJunky

Re: "Repair Your Computer" Doesn't exist
The issues is the RESTORE (aka Repair your computer) option doesn't exist
anywhere. It's not on the reinstallation disk and it doesn't come up in F8.
I already made my backup, now I want to restore from a complete backup from
the computer.
So, my questions are two fold:
> > A) is there some way I can restore my computer?
> > B) If not, is there something I can point out to
> > Microcenter/PowerSpec that they are supposed to provide this
> > funcationality as this is a key function to Vista Business and they
> > are obliged to comply? Who or can I talk w/somebody at Microsoft
> > about this?

> PosPcJunky wrote:
> > Purchased a PowerSpec B645 w/Vista Business.
> > I have a reinstallation disc from the manufacturer.
> > I have everything installed and want to make a complete PC backup,
> > and did. However, now I want to test the backup and noticed I do not
> > have the option to "repair your computer" either off the CD or in F8
> > mode.
> > I contacted Microcenter and they stated this is an optional OPK or
> > something and and something about WindowsRE and it's not part of a
> > standard install. So, my questions are two fold:
> > A) is there some way I can restore my computer?
> > B) If not, is there something I can point out to
> > Microcenter/PowerSpec that they are supposed to provide this
> > funcationality as this is a key function to Vista Business and they
> > are obliged to comply? Who or can I talk w/somebody at Microsoft
> > about this?

> ===================================
>
> Maybe the following articles will offer some ideas:
>
> Windows Vista -
> A Guide to Windows Vista
> Backup Technologies
> http://tinyurl.com/386332
>
> Windows Vista -
> Windows Backup and Restore Center
> http://tinyurl.com/yu6dge
>
> (938316) You may be unable to completely
> restore a Windows Vista-based computer by
> using Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)
>
> Windows Vista -
> Back up your files with
> Vista's Back Up Files wizard:
> http://tinyurl.com/2mz4ft
>
> Windows Vista -
> Restoring files with Vista's
> Restore Files wizard
> http://tinyurl.com/35js68
>
> --
>
> John Inzer
> MS Picture It! -
> Digital Image MVP
>
> Digital Image
> Highlights and FAQs
> http://tinyurl.com/aczzp
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk

Al

Re: "Repair Your Computer" Doesn't exist
I have the same problem.

I've made a full back-up of C: on the D: drive which I now need to restore
but the "Repair your computer" option does not appear so I can't restore the
computer.

I've used Ghost in the past and thought it would be a similar process.