can I use my Vista OEM key to install XP Pro over the top

Neville M

can I use my Vista OEM key to install XP Pro over the top
Hi,

I have a new laptop and it came with Vista Home Premium. Most of my
applications don't work let alone install. I have a full copy of XP Pro and
I'm trying to find out If I can use my Vista OEM key to install XP Pro over
it? I'm not interested in going back to vista.
David B.

Re: can I use my Vista OEM key to install XP Pro over the top
No, Vista keys are for Vista only, XP keys are for XP.

--

----

"Neville M" <Neville M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a new laptop and it came with Vista Home Premium. Most of my
> applications don't work let alone install. I have a full copy of XP Pro
> and
> I'm trying to find out If I can use my Vista OEM key to install XP Pro
> over
> it? I'm not interested in going back to vista.

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: can I use my Vista OEM key to install XP Pro over the top
Have you checked software author web sites for updates, patches etc?

--
Mike Hall - MVP
Posting Productively.. http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Neville M" <Neville M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a new laptop and it came with Vista Home Premium. Most of my
> applications don't work let alone install. I have a full copy of XP Pro
> and
> I'm trying to find out If I can use my Vista OEM key to install XP Pro
> over
> it? I'm not interested in going back to vista.

JW

Re: can I use my Vista OEM key to install XP Pro over the top
Also have you tried installing and/or running them in XP compatibility mode?

"Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.com> wrote in message
> Have you checked software author web sites for updates, patches etc?
>
> --
> Mike Hall - MVP
> Posting Productively.. http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Neville M" <Neville M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a new laptop and it came with Vista Home Premium. Most of my
>> applications don't work let alone install. I have a full copy of XP Pro
>> and
>> I'm trying to find out If I can use my Vista OEM key to install XP Pro
>> over
>> it? I'm not interested in going back to vista.

Mick Murphy

RE: can I use my Vista OEM key to install XP Pro over the top
With the programs that you can't install, right-click on their
setup.exe>properties>compatibility mode>install in XP SP2 mode.

Also, if the laptop is brand new, check at motherboard or comp's
manufacturers website to see if XP Drivers are available for it.

Being new hardware, it might not know XP exists as drivers not written for it.