Upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate or Business?

Tom O''Connell

Upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate or Business?
Hi-
I'm thinking of upgrading from Home Premium on a new PC so I can get the
backup program. (yes, I know a lot of people think Acronis is the way to
go... I might).

My question is... any time one is loading windows, the advice is always...
DO A CLEAN INSTALL... I'm not sure that is even possible since the only OS
ever on this pc is Vista. Have there been any problems doing Vista version
upgrades? should/could this be a clean install???

thanks,

tom
Rick Rogers

Re: Upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate or Business?
Hi Tom,

Version to version upgrades are fine. You might want to consider that it'd
be far cheaper to use Acronis or a similar imaging program than paying for
an upgrade to Ultimate, particularly if there are no other features that you
plan to make use of.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Tom O''Connell" <TomOConnell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi-
> I'm thinking of upgrading from Home Premium on a new PC so I can get the
> backup program. (yes, I know a lot of people think Acronis is the way to
> go... I might).
>
> My question is... any time one is loading windows, the advice is always...
> DO A CLEAN INSTALL... I'm not sure that is even possible since the only OS
> ever on this pc is Vista. Have there been any problems doing Vista version
> upgrades? should/could this be a clean install???
>
> thanks,
>
> tom

Top

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 08:29:48 -0500, Rick Rogers wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> Version to version upgrades are fine. You might want to consider that it'd
> be far cheaper to use Acronis or a similar imaging program than paying for
> an upgrade to Ultimate, particularly if there are no other features that you
> plan to make use of.

Are you sure imaging and upgrading he is talking about are the same
operations? Good chance not.

Rick Rogers

Re: Upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate or Business?
> Are you sure imaging and upgrading he is talking about are the same
> operations? Good chance not.

I wasn't in any way stating they were the same. If you'll read the entire
original post, you'll find that the reason for upgrading is to take
advantage of the full PC backup:

"I'm thinking of upgrading from Home Premium on a new PC so I can get the
backup program."

What I stated was:

"You might want to consider that it'd be far cheaper to use Acronis or a
similar imaging program than paying for an upgrade to Ultimate, particularly
if there are no other features that you plan to make use of."

Meaning that if the only reason he is upgrading is for this one feature,
then investing in good imaging software might be a wiser, and cheaper,
investment.

--

newsan.2007.11.23.01.26.07.630000@retiredneo.rr. com...