Vista Ultima and a new motherboard

FMB501

Vista Ultima and a new motherboard
I had Vista Ultima installed and working when I needed to install a new
motherboard. I'm just using PATA drives and I have all SATA options turned
off in the Bios.

After installint the new hardware, I attempted to reboot. Everything was
going fine, but when Windows tried to load, the blue screen flashes and Vista
reboots.

I've tried running the repair options and although it always says that if
finds problems, they are not the same every time and it doesn't fix anything.
I've tried booting to all of the SAFE options, but I get the identical
results--a few seconds into loading, the blue screen flashes and the system
reboots.

I have a CD that will allow me to access files on the hard drive to delete
old drivers, but I don't know which drives I would need to delete.

I really don't want to do a clean install, but I have all my data files
backed up, so the only cost would be the time it would take to reinstall
about 100 applications and go through the goat rope of reactivating a lot of
the newer applications.

I'm hoping others in this forum have had a similar experience and have found
a solution. If so, I would appreciated it very much if you could share it
with me.

Thanks
Rick Rogers

Re: Vista Ultima and a new motherboard
Hi,

Sadly, Vista does not provide for this kind of repair installation like its
predecessors did. With a major hardware change, you will need to do a clean
installation.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/