Microsoft Vista - licence key language dependant?

Iain

Microsoft Vista - licence key language dependant?
Hi,

Specifically - Has anyone been able to install, and validate, an OEM
English language version of Vista (Basic or Home Premium) on their PC
using another language's product key (but same version, obviously)?

There seem to be a lot of conflicting answers out there.

Many thanks,

Iain
Mick Murphy

RE: Microsoft Vista - licence key language dependant?
You posted in vista.general.

Multi-posting is NOT appreciated.

"Iain" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Specifically - Has anyone been able to install, and validate, an OEM
> English language version of Vista (Basic or Home Premium) on their PC
> using another language's product key (but same version, obviously)?
>
> There seem to be a lot of conflicting answers out there.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Iain

R. C. White

Re: Microsoft Vista - licence key language dependant?
Hi, Iain - and any lurkers who may be wondering...

On those rare occasions when you MUST post a message to more than one
newsgroup, please crosspost. Do not multi-post.

That is, compose a single message and put both groups in the Newsgroups
line, separated by a semicolon. That way, your one message will show up in
both groups, but a Reply in one group will show up in both groups. That
way, they will form a single coherent thread, and readers in each group will
know about responses in the other.

Do not multi-post, which means to send the identical - or similar - message
separately to both groups. That way, readers in one group are not aware
that the answer has already been posted in another group. Many of us who
try to help here also help in a dozen or more other groups and we get very
frustrated when we see our time wasted on needless duplication of effort.

The payoff for you is that you won't have to check all those separate
newsgroups and try to reconcile the responses.

> There seem to be a lot of conflicting answers out there.

Multi-posting just increases this problem. :>(

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Iain" <broatchi@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Specifically - Has anyone been able to install, and validate, an OEM
> English language version of Vista (Basic or Home Premium) on their PC
> using another language's product key (but same version, obviously)?
>
> There seem to be a lot of conflicting answers out there.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Iain

Iain

Re: Microsoft Vista - licence key language dependant?
Sorry. Didn't know it worked like that...

Iain
Bruce Chambers

Iain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Specifically - Has anyone been able to install, and validate, an OEM
> English language version of Vista (Basic or Home Premium) on their PC
> using another language's product key (but same version, obviously)?
>
> There seem to be a lot of conflicting answers out there.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Iain

Product Keys are bound to the specific type and language of
DVD/license (OEM, Volume, retail, full, or Upgrade) with which they are
purchased. For example, a Vista Home OEM Product Key won't work for any
retail version of Vista Home, or for any version of Vista Business or
Ultimate, and vice versa. An upgrade's Product Key cannot be used with
a full version DVD, and vice versa. An OEM Product Key will not work to
install a retail product. An Italian Product Key will not work with an
English DVD. Bottom line: Product Keys and DVD types cannot be mixed &
matched.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
DevilsPGD

Re: Microsoft Vista - licence key language dependant?
In message <umAzqtxKIHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl> Bruce Chambers
<bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

> Product Keys are bound to the specific type and language of
>DVD/license (OEM, Volume, retail, full, or Upgrade) with which they are
>purchased. For example, a Vista Home OEM Product Key won't work for any
>retail version of Vista Home, or for any version of Vista Business or
>Ultimate, and vice versa. An upgrade's Product Key cannot be used with
>a full version DVD, and vice versa. An OEM Product Key will not work to
>install a retail product. An Italian Product Key will not work with an
>English DVD. Bottom line: Product Keys and DVD types cannot be mixed &
>matched.

That is not true -- I have a Vista OEM DVD, Vista Retail DVD, and a DVD
labeled "anytime upgrade" (although from an OEM as well), any can be
used interchangeably, it's all based on the key you enter.

That being said, the keys do appear to be language specific. In
addition, BUSINESS and BUSINESSN skus are treated separately.

--
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.
Iain

On 20 Nov, 03:16, Bruce Chambers <bchamb...@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

> Product Keys are bound to the specific type and language of
> DVD/license (OEM, Volume, retail, full, or Upgrade) with which they are
> purchased. For example, a Vista Home OEM Product Key won't work for any
> retail version of Vista Home, or for any version of Vista Business or
> Ultimate, and vice versa. An upgrade's Product Key cannot be used with
> a full version DVD, and vice versa. An OEM Product Key will not work to
> install a retail product. An Italian Product Key will not work with an
> English DVD. Bottom line: Product Keys and DVD types cannot be mixed &
> matched.
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers

Bruce,

I don't how many times you've posted that advice, but you're wrong. A
key supplied with French Vista CAN be used to install AND validate an
English version.

Kind regards ;-)

Iain
Bruce Chambers

Iain wrote:
> On 20 Nov, 03:16, Bruce Chambers <bchamb...@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:
>
>> Product Keys are bound to the specific type and language of
>> DVD/license (OEM, Volume, retail, full, or Upgrade) with which they are
>> purchased. For example, a Vista Home OEM Product Key won't work for any
>> retail version of Vista Home, or for any version of Vista Business or
>> Ultimate, and vice versa. An upgrade's Product Key cannot be used with
>> a full version DVD, and vice versa. An OEM Product Key will not work to
>> install a retail product. An Italian Product Key will not work with an
>> English DVD. Bottom line: Product Keys and DVD types cannot be mixed &
>> matched.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Bruce Chambers
>>

> Bruce,
>
> I don't how many times you've posted that advice, but you're wrong. A
> key supplied with French Vista CAN be used to install AND validate an
> English version.
>
> Kind regards ;-)
>
> Iain

You're certainly the first to report this change to previous policies.
What specific versions (Home vs. Business, retail vs.OEM, etc.) were
involved in your testing, if I may ask?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Iain

Re: Microsoft Vista - licence key language dependant?
Bruce,

Vista Home Premium OEM. 32 bit.

To be honest, I can't see that it's in Microsoft's interest NOT to
allow a different language version to be installed; as long as the OEM
licence key has been paid for, and is in use on ONLY the original
computer, I don't see they lose anything by being flexible. I'm not
out to rip anyone off!

And if it didn't work, I'd now be posting on a Ubuntu forum, and not
here...!

Regards,

Iain

Bruce Chambers

Iain wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> Vista Home Premium OEM. 32 bit.

Interesting. I'd have expected the restrictions on OEM licensing to be
stricter, not less so. Did you, by any chance, acquire the different
language version from the same manufacturer/vendor as you obtained the
original? Was this a "branded" or a "generic" OEM DVD? If so, perhaps
one or both of these conditions played a factor. (I ask only because I
much prefer to dole out accurate information when I answer a question.)

> To be honest, I can't see that it's in Microsoft's interest NOT to
> allow a different language version to be installed; as long as the OEM
> licence key has been paid for, and is in use on ONLY the original
> computer, I don't see they lose anything by being flexible. I'm not
> out to rip anyone off!

Oh, I'm not arguing that it'd be nice to be able to change the OS
language without any additional expense. I'm just a bit surprised that
it can be done without having to first upgrade to the more expensive
Vista Ultimate. I can't help wondering if this was an unforeseen
loophole that will someday be closed, as it is counter to earlier
practice. Let's hope not.