Extending Partition

Based on my limited search I get the impression that this dead horse has been
beaten since the release of vista, but most of the recommended solutions
(namely diskpart utility and the disk management part of the computer
management control panel program) have decisively failed.

I had 3 partitions on my one drive. The first was a paging partition for
Linux. The second had Xubuntu (Feisty Fawn I believe). Anyways, I've decided
to extend my vista partition to the entire drive. Recently I re-installed
vista and saw that as my opportunity. When installing vista I deleted the
other two drives leaving raw unused portion of the drive but I saw no way to
merge it with the remaining partition without losing all of my data.

So now, I ask, is there any way to extend my main C partition to take up all
of the main drive, or am I screwed to forever having this configuration:

Disk 0: [Unused portion ~61 GB][C partition (vista installation) ~80 GB]

btw.. I'm using Vista Home Premium edition
--
A typical signature
Rick Rogers

Re: Extending Partition
Hi,

You can only extend a volume when the free space resides at the end of it,
not at the beginning. What you need to do is use a third party tool to slide
the existing Vista volume forward to the beginning of the drive. The disk
management tool included with Vista does not have this capability. I use
BootIT NG (terabyteunlimited.com) for operations like this. You don't have
to purchase or install it for this, just boot the system from the floppy it
makes and run the disk operation from it. Once moved, you can either use the
disk utility to expand into the free space, or use Vista's disk manager to
do it.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Z" <Z@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Based on my limited search I get the impression that this dead horse has
> been
> beaten since the release of vista, but most of the recommended solutions
> (namely diskpart utility and the disk management part of the computer
> management control panel program) have decisively failed.
>
> I had 3 partitions on my one drive. The first was a paging partition for
> Linux. The second had Xubuntu (Feisty Fawn I believe). Anyways, I've
> decided
> to extend my vista partition to the entire drive. Recently I re-installed
> vista and saw that as my opportunity. When installing vista I deleted the
> other two drives leaving raw unused portion of the drive but I saw no way
> merge it with the remaining partition without losing all of my data.
>
> So now, I ask, is there any way to extend my main C partition to take up
> all
> of the main drive, or am I screwed to forever having this configuration:
>
> Disk 0: [Unused portion ~61 GB][C partition (vista installation) ~80 GB]
>
> btw.. I'm using Vista Home Premium edition
> --
> A typical signature

Re: Extending Partition
sounds good... I dont really have a floppy drive extension for this laptop...
Right now I'm looking at other free solutions that can move the partition to
the beginning. Thanks
--
A typical signature

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You can only extend a volume when the free space resides at the end of it,
> not at the beginning. What you need to do is use a third party tool to slide
> the existing Vista volume forward to the beginning of the drive. The disk
> management tool included with Vista does not have this capability. I use
> BootIT NG (terabyteunlimited.com) for operations like this. You don't have
> to purchase or install it for this, just boot the system from the floppy it
> makes and run the disk operation from it. Once moved, you can either use the
> disk utility to expand into the free space, or use Vista's disk manager to
> do it.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Z" <Z@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Based on my limited search I get the impression that this dead horse has
> > been
> > beaten since the release of vista, but most of the recommended solutions
> > (namely diskpart utility and the disk management part of the computer
> > management control panel program) have decisively failed.
> >
> > I had 3 partitions on my one drive. The first was a paging partition for
> > Linux. The second had Xubuntu (Feisty Fawn I believe). Anyways, I've
> > decided
> > to extend my vista partition to the entire drive. Recently I re-installed
> > vista and saw that as my opportunity. When installing vista I deleted the
> > other two drives leaving raw unused portion of the drive but I saw no way
> > merge it with the remaining partition without losing all of my data.
> >
> > So now, I ask, is there any way to extend my main C partition to take up
> > all
> > of the main drive, or am I screwed to forever having this configuration:
> >
> > Disk 0: [Unused portion ~61 GB][C partition (vista installation) ~80 GB]
> >
> > btw.. I'm using Vista Home Premium edition
> > --
> > A typical signature

General Mailbox

Re: Extending Partition

> sounds good... I dont really have a floppy drive extension for this
> laptop...
> Right now I'm looking at other free solutions that can move the partition
> the beginning. Thanks
> --
> A typical signature
>

> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> You can only extend a volume when the free space resides at the end of
>> it,
>> not at the beginning. What you need to do is use a third party tool to
>> slide
>> the existing Vista volume forward to the beginning of the drive. The disk
>> management tool included with Vista does not have this capability. I use
>> BootIT NG (terabyteunlimited.com) for operations like this. You don't
>> have
>> to purchase or install it for this, just boot the system from the floppy
>> it
>> makes and run the disk operation from it. Once moved, you can either use
>> the
>> disk utility to expand into the free space, or use Vista's disk manager
>> do it.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Z" <Z@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Based on my limited search I get the impression that this dead horse
>> > has
>> > been
>> > beaten since the release of vista, but most of the recommended
>> > solutions
>> > (namely diskpart utility and the disk management part of the computer
>> > management control panel program) have decisively failed.
>> >
>> > I had 3 partitions on my one drive. The first was a paging partition
>> > for
>> > Linux. The second had Xubuntu (Feisty Fawn I believe). Anyways, I've
>> > decided
>> > to extend my vista partition to the entire drive. Recently I
>> > re-installed
>> > vista and saw that as my opportunity. When installing vista I deleted
>> > the
>> > other two drives leaving raw unused portion of the drive but I saw no
>> > way
>> > merge it with the remaining partition without losing all of my data.
>> >
>> > So now, I ask, is there any way to extend my main C partition to take
>> > up
>> > all
>> > of the main drive, or am I screwed to forever having this
>> > configuration:
>> >
>> > Disk 0: [Unused portion ~61 GB][C partition (vista installation) ~80
>> > GB]
>> >
>> > btw.. I'm using Vista Home Premium edition
>> > --
>> > A typical signature

As I have been warned by others, I'll pass it onto you Z.
Do not trust that your data will still be there after you attempt to move
data around after a resize of a partition.
Backup is a keyword here.
Rgds,
Kevin

Rod

Re: Extending Partition
Z, i have the exact same problem. Did you try BootIT NG? Did it work?
Please advise.

Has anyone tried these 3rd party disk mgmt tools and can verify they will
work with Vista?

thanks,

ROd

"Z" wrote:

> sounds good... I dont really have a floppy drive extension for this laptop...
> Right now I'm looking at other free solutions that can move the partition to
> the beginning. Thanks
> --
> A typical signature
>

> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > You can only extend a volume when the free space resides at the end of it,
> > not at the beginning. What you need to do is use a third party tool to slide
> > the existing Vista volume forward to the beginning of the drive. The disk
> > management tool included with Vista does not have this capability. I use
> > BootIT NG (terabyteunlimited.com) for operations like this. You don't have
> > to purchase or install it for this, just boot the system from the floppy it
> > makes and run the disk operation from it. Once moved, you can either use the
> > disk utility to expand into the free space, or use Vista's disk manager to
> > do it.
> >
> > --
> > Best of Luck,

> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> > My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
> >
> > "Z" <Z@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Based on my limited search I get the impression that this dead horse has
> > > been
> > > beaten since the release of vista, but most of the recommended solutions
> > > (namely diskpart utility and the disk management part of the computer
> > > management control panel program) have decisively failed.
> > >
> > > I had 3 partitions on my one drive. The first was a paging partition for
> > > Linux. The second had Xubuntu (Feisty Fawn I believe). Anyways, I've
> > > decided
> > > to extend my vista partition to the entire drive. Recently I re-installed
> > > vista and saw that as my opportunity. When installing vista I deleted the
> > > other two drives leaving raw unused portion of the drive but I saw no way
> > > merge it with the remaining partition without losing all of my data.
> > >
> > > So now, I ask, is there any way to extend my main C partition to take up
> > > all
> > > of the main drive, or am I screwed to forever having this configuration:
> > >
> > > Disk 0: [Unused portion ~61 GB][C partition (vista installation) ~80 GB]
> > >
> > > btw.. I'm using Vista Home Premium edition
> > > --
> > > A typical signature

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Extending Partition
The latest version of Acronis Disk Director will work, but the trial version
has limited capability, I think. To do a proper job, it has to be
purchased..

--
Mike Hall - MVP

"Rod" <Rod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Z, i have the exact same problem. Did you try BootIT NG? Did it work?
> Please advise.
>
> Has anyone tried these 3rd party disk mgmt tools and can verify they will
> work with Vista?
>
> thanks,
>
> ROd
>
> "Z" wrote:
>
>> sounds good... I dont really have a floppy drive extension for this
>> laptop...
>> Right now I'm looking at other free solutions that can move the partition
>> the beginning. Thanks
>> --
>> A typical signature
>>

>> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > You can only extend a volume when the free space resides at the end of
>> > it,
>> > not at the beginning. What you need to do is use a third party tool to
>> > slide
>> > the existing Vista volume forward to the beginning of the drive. The
>> > disk
>> > management tool included with Vista does not have this capability. I
>> > use
>> > BootIT NG (terabyteunlimited.com) for operations like this. You don't
>> > have
>> > to purchase or install it for this, just boot the system from the
>> > floppy it
>> > makes and run the disk operation from it. Once moved, you can either
>> > use the
>> > disk utility to expand into the free space, or use Vista's disk manager
>> > do it.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Best of Luck,
>> >
>> > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
>> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>> > My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

Rod

Re: Extending Partition
Thaanks Mike. After i posted this, i read more and i am the process of
"sliding" with BootiT NG. I'll let you know how it goes - sure takes a long
time to "slide" 100GB.

"Mike Hall - MVP" wrote:

> The latest version of Acronis Disk Director will work, but the trial version
> has limited capability, I think. To do a proper job, it has to be
> purchased..
>
> --
> Mike Hall - MVP
>

> "Rod" <Rod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Z, i have the exact same problem. Did you try BootIT NG? Did it work?
> > Please advise.
> >
> > Has anyone tried these 3rd party disk mgmt tools and can verify they will
> > work with Vista?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > ROd
> >
> > "Z" wrote:
> >
> >> sounds good... I dont really have a floppy drive extension for this
> >> laptop...
> >> Right now I'm looking at other free solutions that can move the partition
> >> the beginning. Thanks
> >> --
> >> A typical signature

Rod

Re: Extending Partition
!Rick, this is exactly what i was looking for. Thanks for suggesting bootit
NG, and explaining how it works! i wasn't sure how this stuff works and
what i needed until i read your post.

I'm in the progress of "sliding" my free space now.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You can only extend a volume when the free space resides at the end of it,
> not at the beginning. What you need to do is use a third party tool to slide
> the existing Vista volume forward to the beginning of the drive. The disk
> management tool included with Vista does not have this capability. I use
> BootIT NG (terabyteunlimited.com) for operations like this. You don't have
> to purchase or install it for this, just boot the system from the floppy it
> makes and run the disk operation from it. Once moved, you can either use the
> disk utility to expand into the free space, or use Vista's disk manager to
> do it.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Z" <Z@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Based on my limited search I get the impression that this dead horse has
> > been
> > beaten since the release of vista, but most of the recommended solutions
> > (namely diskpart utility and the disk management part of the computer
> > management control panel program) have decisively failed.
> >
> > I had 3 partitions on my one drive. The first was a paging partition for
> > Linux. The second had Xubuntu (Feisty Fawn I believe). Anyways, I've
> > decided
> > to extend my vista partition to the entire drive. Recently I re-installed
> > vista and saw that as my opportunity. When installing vista I deleted the
> > other two drives leaving raw unused portion of the drive but I saw no way
> > merge it with the remaining partition without losing all of my data.
> >
> > So now, I ask, is there any way to extend my main C partition to take up
> > all
> > of the main drive, or am I screwed to forever having this configuration:
> >
> > Disk 0: [Unused portion ~61 GB][C partition (vista installation) ~80 GB]
> >
> > btw.. I'm using Vista Home Premium edition
> > --
> > A typical signature

Rod

Re: Extending Partition
oops. I may have spoknen too soon. I moved the free space (unallocated) to
the end, but still cannot extend the partition to the left of it. So i have
100GB that is wasted.

Do you think its becuase i may have 5 partitions? within vista storage
manager it indicates i have 4 partitions, but in bootit NG it says i have 5,
if i include the one that is "unamed". I have no idea what the "unamed"
partiion is - says its 100GB. I have Raid 0 if that matters. but Vista
shows only 4 partions, so not even sure if that "unnamed" partition is really
a partition.

Partions are: 1) Vista 32 2) Vista 64, 3) recovery, and 4) extra" partition
that i beleive Raid 0 created. They are two 320MB drives. That's what
vista shows. When i go into Bootit NG it says i have a fourth called
"unamed" with 100GB in it.

Any advice please??