Dual Boot 32bit 64bit vista

Caution811

Dual Boot 32bit 64bit vista
Hi I have the 32bit version of vista ultimate installed and using a 1TB hard
drive and was wondering if I would be able to install the 64bit version on a
separate new hard drive. I plan on getting a new hard drive so I can install
the 64bit on that but have no idea if I would have any issues or if it would
work perfectly. I tried the search but all I keep getting is dual booting
with xp and vista, I don’t want to use a partition just want a whole
different hard drive. So does anyone know if it would work or would I have
some issues since the 64bit won’t be the primary? Thanks for any help anyone
might have.
dzomlija

Re: Dual Boot 32bit 64bit vista

Caution811;518516 Wrote:
> Hi I have the 32bit version of vista ultimate installed and using a 1TB
> hard drive and was wondering if I would be able to install the 64bit
> version on a separate new hard drive. I plan on getting a new hard drive
> so I can install the 64bit on that but have no idea if I would have any
> issues or if it would work perfectly. I tried the search but all I keep
> getting is dual booting with xp and vista, I don’t want to use a
> partition just want a whole different hard drive. So does anyone know if
> it would work or would I have some issues since the 64bit won’t be the
> primary? Thanks for any help anyone might have.

Whether you install to another partition, or to another hard drive
entirely, the process is reletively simple.

Just choose the appropriate destination partition/hdd when necessary,
and the installer will take care of the rest. The difference comes in
depending on HOW you started the install.

If you start the install from within Windows, then your first OS will
be on C: and the seond will be on D:, even if you boot into the second
OS.

If you boot from the DVD and started the install from there, then if
you boot into the first OS, it will be on C:, with the second on D:. If
you boot into the second OS, it will be on C: and the first OS will be
on D:.

In either case, when you start the computer, you will get a boot menu
that lets you choose which OS to start, with the second OS being the
default that will start in 30 second if you do not make a choice
yourself.

But if you also don't mind a more-or-less off topic suggestion? I
started with a dual-boot between XP and Vista x64. I found Vista x64 to
be so remarkably stable and compatible, that I never booted into XP for
several weeks. So I totally wiped all my hard disks (after a backup
session, of course), and then re-installed with only Vista x64. You may
find a similar experience betwen Vista x86 and Vista x64, and may just
end up only using Vista x64. Just make sure that you have all the
compatibility updates for your software (if needed) and all the Vista
x64 drivers for your hardware.

--
dzomlija

____________________________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? -And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn-...

- ASUS A8N32-SLI-Deluxe
- AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
- 4GB DDR400
- ASUS nVidia 6600
- Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
- 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
- Vista Ultimate x64
- CodeGear Delphi 2007'http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/' (http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/)
Caution811

Re: Dual Boot 32bit 64bit vista
I still want to use the 32bt since a lot of the programs I need for my
classes only have those drivers so I can’t just wipe it yet. It would have
been the easier choice if every program I needed had support, but for I’ll go
the dual hard drive dual boot. I just wanted to make sure it would work and I
won’t have any issues like having to reinstall the OS I have now with a total
complete fresh install just to install the other version on a new hard drive
with no bugs. Thanks for your help.

Caution811;518617 Wrote:
> I still want to use the 32bt since a lot of the programs I need for my
> classes only have those drivers so I can’t just wipe it yet. It would
> have been the easier choice if every program I needed had support, but
> for I’ll go the dual hard drive dual boot. I just wanted to make sure
> it would work and I won’t have any issues like having to reinstall the
> OS I have now with a total complete fresh install just to install the
> other version on a new hard drive with no bugs. Thanks for your help.

Glad to be of help. Setting up dual boot is a real no-brainer these
days, especially if it's combinations of XP/Vista or Vista 32/64.

Just the boot menu will show "Windows Vista" for BOTH entries. When you
have it setup, either myself or someone else on this NG can talk you
through the process of editing the boot menu to show "Vista 32 Bit" and
"Vista 64 Bit", so that you can easily distinguish the two, and which is
the default.

Just reply on this same thread when you're ready...

--
dzomlija

____________________________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? -And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn-...

- ASUS A8N32-SLI-Deluxe
- AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
- 4GB DDR400
- ASUS nVidia 6600
- Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
- 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
- Vista Ultimate x64
- CodeGear Delphi 2007'http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/' (http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/)
peter

Re: Dual Boot 32bit 64bit vista
The other way to set up a dual boot would be to disconnect the 32bit Vista
drive and then install 64bit Vista on your new drive.
Each HD would then have its own MBR.....and after you reconnect the 32bit
Vista drive and boot up you would need to choose which HD to boot from.
This can be done by either entering the BIOS each time or on a lot of newer
mobo there is the option to push F12 on boot and it shows a screen which
gives you the option of chosing which HD to boot from. .........see if you
mobo has that option.
Be aware that you will need to install 64bit mobo drivers as well as drivers
for all hardware ...Programs will also need to be installed under the 64bit
Vista.
If at a future date you decide to just use one Vista it is an easy task to
format the unwanted Vista without losing your boot or having to meddle with
the MBR to reflect that change.

peter
"Caution811" <Caution811@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I still want to use the 32bt since a lot of the programs I need for my
> classes only have those drivers so I can’t just wipe it yet. It would have
> been the easier choice if every program I needed had support, but for I’ll
> go
> the dual hard drive dual boot. I just wanted to make sure it would work
> and I
> won’t have any issues like having to reinstall the OS I have now with a
> total
> complete fresh install just to install the other version on a new hard
> drive
> with no bugs. Thanks for your help.

Tom Lake

Re: Dual Boot 32bit 64bit vista
> If you start the install from within Windows, then your first OS will
> be on C: and the seond will be on D:, even if you boot into the second
> OS.

If he's running a 32-bit OS then he can't install the 64-bit from within
Windows anyway.

Tom Lake
rocketman2k@juno.com

Re: Dual Boot 32bit 64bit vista
On Nov 19, 10:22 am, Caution811 <Caution...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Hi I have the 32bit version of vista ultimate installed and using a 1TB hard
> drive and was wondering if I would be able to install the 64bit version on a
> separate new hard drive. I plan on getting a new hard drive so I can install
> the 64bit on that but have no idea if I would have any issues or if it would
> work perfectly. I tried the search but all I keep getting is dual booting
> with xp and vista, I don't want to use a partition just want a whole
> different hard drive. So does anyone know if it would work or would I have
> some issues since the 64bit won't be the primary? Thanks for any help anyone
> might have.

Hey Everyone. I have Windows Vista Ultimate (full retail dvd)and want
to install the 32 bit version on one hard drive and install the 64bit
version on a different hard drive (same computer)...does the Windows
Vista Ultimate licence allow for this?
Michael Palumbo

"dzomlija" <dzomlija.30aqi2@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Caution811;518617 Wrote:
>> I still want to use the 32bt since a lot of the programs I need for my
>> classes only have those drivers so I can?Tt just wipe it yet. It would
>> have been the easier choice if every program I needed had support, but
>> for I?Tll go the dual hard drive dual boot. I just wanted to make sure
>> it would work and I won?Tt have any issues like having to reinstall the
>> OS I have now with a total complete fresh install just to install the
>> other version on a new hard drive with no bugs. Thanks for your help.

> Glad to be of help. Setting up dual boot is a real no-brainer these
> days, especially if it's combinations of XP/Vista or Vista 32/64.
>
> Just the boot menu will show "Windows Vista" for BOTH entries. When you
> have it setup, either myself or someone else on this NG can talk you
> through the process of editing the boot menu to show "Vista 32 Bit" and
> "Vista 64 Bit", so that you can easily distinguish the two, and which is
> the default.
>
> Just reply on this same thread when you're ready...
>

> --
> dzomlija
>
> ____________________________________
> Peter Alexander Dzomlija
> Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? -And as
> you die, so shall I be Reborn-...
>
> - ASUS A8N32-SLI-Deluxe
> - AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
> - 4GB DDR400
> - ASUS nVidia 6600
> - Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
> - 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
> - Vista Ultimate x64
> - CodeGear Delphi 2007'http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/'
> (http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/)

Very easy way to edit the Vista boot manager.

http://www.vistabootpro.org/

Mic

Bigskysmiles

"rocketman2k@juno.com" wrote:

> On Nov 19, 10:22 am, Caution811 <Caution...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi I have the 32bit version of vista ultimate installed and using a 1TB hard
> > drive and was wondering if I would be able to install the 64bit version on a
> > separate new hard drive. I plan on getting a new hard drive so I can install
> > the 64bit on that but have no idea if I would have any issues or if it would
> > work perfectly. I tried the search but all I keep getting is dual booting
> > with xp and vista, I don't want to use a partition just want a whole
> > different hard drive. So does anyone know if it would work or would I have
> > some issues since the 64bit won't be the primary? Thanks for any help anyone
> > might have.

> Hey Everyone. I have Windows Vista Ultimate (full retail dvd)and want
> to install the 32 bit version on one hard drive and install the 64bit
> version on a different hard drive (same computer)...does the Windows
> Vista Ultimate licence allow for this?

If you are inquiring about ability to use the same key code ... I am also
curious of this ... Would like to take advantage of 64 bit but not sure of
full compatibility of my programs. Dual booting would be a solution. Also
would programs need to be installed 2x? Once in 32 bit version and also into
64?
Michael Palumbo

"Bigskysmiles" <Bigskysmiles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news454E965-C232-4D1D-B8BF-D12571358F23@microsoft.com...

> "rocketman2k@juno.com" wrote:
>
>> On Nov 19, 10:22 am, Caution811 <Caution...@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi I have the 32bit version of vista ultimate installed and using a 1TB
>> > hard
>> > drive and was wondering if I would be able to install the 64bit version
>> > on a
>> > separate new hard drive. I plan on getting a new hard drive so I can
>> > install
>> > the 64bit on that but have no idea if I would have any issues or if it
>> > would
>> > work perfectly. I tried the search but all I keep getting is dual
>> > booting
>> > with xp and vista, I don't want to use a partition just want a whole
>> > different hard drive. So does anyone know if it would work or would I
>> > have
>> > some issues since the 64bit won't be the primary? Thanks for any help
>> > anyone
>> > might have.

>> Hey Everyone. I have Windows Vista Ultimate (full retail dvd)and want
>> to install the 32 bit version on one hard drive and install the 64bit
>> version on a different hard drive (same computer)...does the Windows
>> Vista Ultimate licence allow for this?
>>

> If you are inquiring about ability to use the same key code ... I am also
> curious of this ... Would like to take advantage of 64 bit but not sure of
> full compatibility of my programs. Dual booting would be a solution. Also
> would programs need to be installed 2x? Once in 32 bit version and also
> into
> 64?

When you try to activate the second copy it will balk, saying the key is in
use already (and it is) so this wouldn't work.

You would need a second key to activate both versions.

As to your question about software, yes, you would have to install it twice,
once for each OS.

Mic