USB Keyboard prevents Sleep.

Marko

USB Keyboard prevents Sleep.
With a USB Keyboard, our PC only takes a 15 second nap when pressing the
sleep button (or clicking on Start/Sleep) and then is wide awake again. When
we replace it with a PS2 Keyboard everything works the way it should. The USB
mouse is no problem.

What would cause a USB Keyboard (we've tried 3) to prevent Vista sleeping?
brink

Re: USB Keyboard prevents Sleep.

Marko;518426 Wrote:
> With a USB Keyboard, our PC only takes a 15 second nap when pressing the
> sleep button (or clicking on Start/Sleep) and then is wide awake again.
> When
> we replace it with a PS2 Keyboard everything works the way it should.
> The USB
> mouse is no problem.
>
> What would cause a USB Keyboard (we've tried 3) to prevent Vista
> sleeping?

Hi Marko,

You can just uncheck the "Allow this device to wake the computer"
option in the "Power Management" tab in Device Manager. See "Step Five"
in this tutorial for how. The keyboard will not wake up your computer
anymore. You can use the mouse to wake it up from sleep mode.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63...-problems.html

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
Marko

Re: USB Keyboard prevents Sleep.
Thanks for the reply.
We had already tried the "don't allow to wake" setting and it made no
difference.
The USB keyboard is now connected to the PS2 port via an adapter and this
way allows the puter to sleep. The "keyboard wake" option is active again and
also works.

Still would like to know what keeps a USB keyboard from functioning properly
when connected through a USB port though.

"brink" wrote:

> Marko;518426 Wrote:
> > With a USB Keyboard, our PC only takes a 15 second nap when pressing the
> > sleep button (or clicking on Start/Sleep) and then is wide awake again.
> > When
> > we replace it with a PS2 Keyboard everything works the way it should.
> > The USB
> > mouse is no problem.
> >
> > What would cause a USB Keyboard (we've tried 3) to prevent Vista
> > sleeping?

> Hi Marko,
>
> You can just uncheck the "Allow this device to wake the computer"
> option in the "Power Management" tab in Device Manager. See "Step Five"
> in this tutorial for how. The keyboard will not wake up your computer
> anymore. You can use the mouse to wake it up from sleep mode.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63...-problems.html
>
> Shawn
>

> --
> brink

> WWW.VISTAX64.COM (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM\")

Michael Palumbo

"Marko" <Marko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the reply.
> We had already tried the "don't allow to wake" setting and it made no
> difference.
> The USB keyboard is now connected to the PS2 port via an adapter and this
> way allows the puter to sleep. The "keyboard wake" option is active again
> and
> also works.
>
> Still would like to know what keeps a USB keyboard from functioning
> properly
> when connected through a USB port though.
>

> "brink" wrote:
>

>> Marko;518426 Wrote:
>> > With a USB Keyboard, our PC only takes a 15 second nap when pressing
>> > the
>> > sleep button (or clicking on Start/Sleep) and then is wide awake again.
>> > When
>> > we replace it with a PS2 Keyboard everything works the way it should.
>> > The USB
>> > mouse is no problem.
>> >
>> > What would cause a USB Keyboard (we've tried 3) to prevent Vista
>> > sleeping?

>> Hi Marko,
>>
>> You can just uncheck the "Allow this device to wake the computer"
>> option in the "Power Management" tab in Device Manager. See "Step Five"
>> in this tutorial for how. The keyboard will not wake up your computer
>> anymore. You can use the mouse to wake it up from sleep mode.
>>
>> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63...-problems.html
>>
>> Shawn
>>

>> --
>> brink
>>
>> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
>> WWW.VISTAX64.COM (\"HTTP://WWW.VISTAX64.COM\")
>> *Please post feedback to help others.*

I don't think this is a "global" issue since I'm using an USB keyboard (and
mouse) and don't have this problem.

Try removing the USB devices from device manager and restart (this will
force Windows to reinstall the drivers) and/or try updating the chipset
drivers for your motherboard (this will often include updated inf files for
the USB controller(s))

Since you're seeing this behavior with different keyboards (I'm hoping they
aren't all the same brand and model when you tested) then my best guess is
the USB hub(s) on the board.

Check your BIOS settings as well, if there is an option under the USB
settings, or the power settings to have the USB devices wake the computer in
the BIOS, turn those off.

Mic