Vista freezes upon installing at random

phoenix120@gmail.com

Vista freezes upon installing at random
Hello everyone, well this is very frustrating to me but I just bought
a new motherboard and processor for my computer and have failed to
reinstall my copy of Windows Vista Home Baisc...

The specs on my computer are as follows

Motherboard---> Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Processor -----> E6750 2.66 Ghz Core 2 Duo
Ram--------------> 2 gigabytes of 533 Mhz, two sticks of two
different brand (HP and an off brand)
Hard-Drives-----> 1 Hard Drive at 120 Gigabytes (Seagate) and another
hard drive at 500 gigabytes (Seagate)
Video Card------> XFX Nvidia 8600 GT

If I left anyone crucial out just say so and I'll post it...But what
happens is that I have a blank hard drive (the 120 gig one) and I boot
from a Windows Upgrade Anytime disc and click on install Vista now,
and choose to install it on that harddrive...Sometimes it freezes at
Expanding Files, sometimes it gets to installing updates....I just
want to Vista installed, any help would be greatly appreciated
Rick Rogers

Re: Vista freezes upon installing at random
Hi,

Possible memory conflict, use only one stick.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

On Nov 18, 3:31 pm, "Rick Rogers" <r...@mvps.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Possible memory conflict, use only one stick.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVPhttp://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help -www.rickrogers.org
> My thoughtshttp://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>
> <phoenix...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hello everyone, well this is very frustrating to me but I just bought
> > a new motherboard and processor for my computer and have failed to
> > reinstall my copy of Windows Vista Home Baisc...

> > The specs on my computer are as follows

> > Motherboard---> Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
> > Processor -----> E6750 2.66 Ghz Core 2 Duo
> > Ram--------------> 2 gigabytes of 533 Mhz, two sticks of two
> > different brand (HP and an off brand)
> > Hard-Drives-----> 1 Hard Drive at 120 Gigabytes (Seagate) and another
> > hard drive at 500 gigabytes (Seagate)
> > Video Card------> XFX Nvidia 8600 GT

> > If I left anyone crucial out just say so and I'll post it...But what
> > happens is that I have a blank hard drive (the 120 gig one) and I boot
> > from a Windows Upgrade Anytime disc and click on install Vista now,
> > and choose to install it on that harddrive...Sometimes it freezes at
> > Expanding Files, sometimes it gets to installing updates....I just
> > want to Vista installed, any help would be greatly appreciated - Hide quoted text -

I've actually tried that and then i cant even enter the BIOS but I've
switched the ram to different seats and i've actually gotten to
"completeing installation" and then it restarts and freezes again at
that spot ("completeing installtion") However, my ram speed is not
supported even though the BIOS system recognizes the speed and that I
have 2 gigs in...Could that be the problem?
Rick Rogers

Re: Vista freezes upon installing at random
Hi,

Yes, if the rated speed is not supported that could be a problem. Normally,
if the sticks don't match the faster one is slowed down. But if neither
matches the system's specifications, you're going to run into problems.

--

> On Nov 18, 3:31 pm, "Rick Rogers" <r...@mvps.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Possible memory conflict, use only one stick.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,
>>
>> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft
>> MVPhttp://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help -www.rickrogers.org
>> My thoughtshttp://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>>
>> <phoenix...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > Hello everyone, well this is very frustrating to me but I just bought
>> > a new motherboard and processor for my computer and have failed to
>> > reinstall my copy of Windows Vista Home Baisc...

>> > The specs on my computer are as follows

>> > Motherboard---> Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
>> > Processor -----> E6750 2.66 Ghz Core 2 Duo
>> > Ram--------------> 2 gigabytes of 533 Mhz, two sticks of two
>> > different brand (HP and an off brand)
>> > Hard-Drives-----> 1 Hard Drive at 120 Gigabytes (Seagate) and another
>> > hard drive at 500 gigabytes (Seagate)
>> > Video Card------> XFX Nvidia 8600 GT

>> > If I left anyone crucial out just say so and I'll post it...But what
>> > happens is that I have a blank hard drive (the 120 gig one) and I boot
>> > from a Windows Upgrade Anytime disc and click on install Vista now,
>> > and choose to install it on that harddrive...Sometimes it freezes at
>> > Expanding Files, sometimes it gets to installing updates....I just
>> > want to Vista installed, any help would be greatly appreciated - Hide
>> > quoted text -

> I've actually tried that and then i cant even enter the BIOS but I've
> switched the ram to different seats and i've actually gotten to
> "completeing installation" and then it restarts and freezes again at
> that spot ("completeing installtion") However, my ram speed is not
> supported even though the BIOS system recognizes the speed and that I
> have 2 gigs in...Could that be the problem?

Malke

phoenix120@gmail.com wrote:
> On Nov 18, 3:31 pm, "Rick Rogers" <r...@mvps.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Possible memory conflict, use only one stick.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,
>>
>> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVPhttp://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help -www.rickrogers.org
>> My thoughtshttp://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>>
>> <phoenix...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Hello everyone, well this is very frustrating to me but I just bought
>>> a new motherboard and processor for my computer and have failed to
>>> reinstall my copy of Windows Vista Home Baisc...
>>> The specs on my computer are as follows
>>> Motherboard---> Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
>>> Processor -----> E6750 2.66 Ghz Core 2 Duo
>>> Ram--------------> 2 gigabytes of 533 Mhz, two sticks of two
>>> different brand (HP and an off brand)
>>> Hard-Drives-----> 1 Hard Drive at 120 Gigabytes (Seagate) and another
>>> hard drive at 500 gigabytes (Seagate)
>>> Video Card------> XFX Nvidia 8600 GT
>>> If I left anyone crucial out just say so and I'll post it...But what
>>> happens is that I have a blank hard drive (the 120 gig one) and I boot
>>> from a Windows Upgrade Anytime disc and click on install Vista now,
>>> and choose to install it on that harddrive...Sometimes it freezes at
>>> Expanding Files, sometimes it gets to installing updates

> I've actually tried that and then i cant even enter the BIOS but I've
> switched the ram to different seats and i've actually gotten to
> "completeing installation" and then it restarts and freezes again at
> that spot ("completeing installtion") However, my ram speed is not
> supported even though the BIOS system recognizes the speed and that I
> have 2 gigs in...Could that be the problem?

Definitely sounds like bad and/or mismatched RAM. Test it with something
like Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org. If it fails, replace it. Make sure
you purchase the correct RAM for your motherboard and that it is
matched. You say you have two unmatched sticks and that could certainly
be the issue. Never skimp on "value" RAM. A good place to purchase RAM
is www.crucial.com.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
phoenix120@gmail.com

On Nov 18, 3:53 pm, Malke <notrea...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> phoenix...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Nov 18, 3:31 pm, "Rick Rogers" <r...@mvps.org> wrote:
> >> Hi,

> >> Possible memory conflict, use only one stick.

> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVPhttp://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Windows help -www.rickrogers.org
> >> My thoughtshttp://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

> >> <phoenix...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > I've actually tried that and then i cant even enter the BIOS but I've
> > switched the ram to different seats and i've actually gotten to
> > "completeing installation" and then it restarts and freezes again at
> > that spot ("completeing installtion") However, my ram speed is not
> > supported even though the BIOS system recognizes the speed and that I
> > have 2 gigs in...Could that be the problem?

> Definitely sounds like bad and/or mismatched RAM. Test it with something
> like Memtest86+ fromwww.memtest.org. If it fails, replace it. Make sure
> you purchase the correct RAM for your motherboard and that it is
> matched. You say you have two unmatched sticks and that could certainly
> be the issue. Never skimp on "value" RAM. A good place to purchase RAM
> iswww.crucial.com.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computerswww.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User- Hide quoted text -

So I'm gonna order some 800 Mhz Ram, 2 gigs of it and let you guys
know what happens...thanks for your help
phoenix120@gmail.com

On Nov 18, 9:05 pm, phoenix...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Nov 18, 3:53 pm, Malke <notrea...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>

> > phoenix...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > I've actually tried that and then i cant even enter the BIOS but I've
> > > switched the ram to different seats and i've actually gotten to
> > > "completeing installation" and then it restarts and freezes again at
> > > that spot ("completeing installtion") However, my ram speed is not
> > > supported even though the BIOS system recognizes the speed and that I
> > > have 2 gigs in...Could that be the problem?

> > Definitely sounds like bad and/or mismatched RAM. Test it with something
> > like Memtest86+ fromwww.memtest.org. If it fails, replace it. Make sure
> > you purchase the correct RAM for your motherboard and that it is
> > matched. You say you have two unmatched sticks and that could certainly
> > be the issue. Never skimp on "value" RAM. A good place to purchase RAM
> > iswww.crucial.com.

> > Malke
> > --
> > Elephant Boy Computerswww.elephantboycomputers.com
> > "Don't Panic!"
> > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User- Hide quoted text -

> So I'm gonna order some 800 Mhz Ram, 2 gigs of it and let you guys
> know what happens...thanks for your help - Hide quoted text -

That seemed to be the problem because I installed the new faster RAM
and everything is running perfectly now...Thanks for all your help,
have some Happy Holidays