install stuck at extracting files

Nt86

install stuck at extracting files
back in june i built a custom computer designed to run windows vista. it has
4 GB of ram, a 250 GB Sata drive, core 2 duo processor from intel, intel
motherboard with onboard video, 2 DVD drives, one with +RW and lightscribe.
no PCI add ons, no IDE HDDs, and a floppy drive. another computer i had built
2 years ago that has SATA drives and it runs vista flawlessly on a pentium 4
and 1.5 GB ram. back to other computer, it runs windows xp media center
edition with no toruble, but when you try to upgrade to vista, it gets stuck
at 21% of the extracting files part of the installation. the good news is the
installation restores xp automatically whenever it(and it always has)
failed. if anybody knows how to make this work, plese lemme know. i might
have some IDE drives laying around if that will work.
Dominic Payer

Re: install stuck at extracting files
See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777

Remove 2GB of the RAM, install Vista, apply Windows Updates (which will
include the hotfix), then install the extra 2GB RAM and all will be well.

"Nt86" <Nt86@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> back in june i built a custom computer designed to run windows vista. it
> has
> 4 GB of ram, a 250 GB Sata drive, core 2 duo processor from intel, intel
> motherboard with onboard video, 2 DVD drives, one with +RW and
> lightscribe.
> no PCI add ons, no IDE HDDs, and a floppy drive. another computer i had
> built
> 2 years ago that has SATA drives and it runs vista flawlessly on a pentium
> 4
> and 1.5 GB ram. back to other computer, it runs windows xp media center
> edition with no toruble, but when you try to upgrade to vista, it gets
> stuck
> at 21% of the extracting files part of the installation. the good news is
> the
> installation restores xp automatically whenever it(and it always has)
> failed. if anybody knows how to make this work, plese lemme know. i might
> have some IDE drives laying around if that will work.

Nt86

Re: install stuck at extracting files
so far its gotten past 21%. thanks for your help