Restoration of original Programs

REDWAGON

Restoration of original Programs
I am getting a new HP notebook and I was told that it does NOT come with any
CD's that will allow you to restore it back to the original condition is was
in when new. However, I was told that Vista (The new OS is Vista Home
Premium) could burn a disc that had all original OS and programs on it that
was bootable and could restore the computer to original condition.

Is this true and if so, Where on the Vista OS do you go to do this ???

Thanks very much...
Rick Rogers

Re: Restoration of original Programs
Hi,

New HP laptops usually have a program that will allow a one-time creation of
a set of recovery disks. You should be able to find it in the start/all
programs menu, and will likely be prompted to create the disk set when you
first startup the new system.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"REDWAGON" <REDWAGON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am getting a new HP notebook and I was told that it does NOT come with
>any
> CD's that will allow you to restore it back to the original condition is
> was
> in when new. However, I was told that Vista (The new OS is Vista Home
> Premium) could burn a disc that had all original OS and programs on it
> that
> was bootable and could restore the computer to original condition.
>
> Is this true and if so, Where on the Vista OS do you go to do this ???
>
> Thanks very much...

Donald L McDaniel

Re: Restoration of original Programs
On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 09:22:00 -0800, REDWAGON
<REDWAGON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am getting a new HP notebook and I was told that it does NOT come with any
>CD's that will allow you to restore it back to the original condition is was
>in when new. However, I was told that Vista (The new OS is Vista Home
>Premium) could burn a disc that had all original OS and programs on it that
>was bootable and could restore the computer to original condition.
>
>Is this true and if so, Where on the Vista OS do you go to do this ???
>
>Thanks very much...

You were misinformed, friend.
Microsoft's Vista has nothing to do with the original programs put on
the HD at the factory by HP.

Know this:
ALL OEMs (HP is an OEM, and so is included) which include a Microsoft
OS with the user's purchase are REQUIRED to make it possible for the
owner to restore the OS as needed if they do not provide a separate
physical OS disk.

Nowadays, this is accomplished by putting the Restore files on a
separate hidden partition, accessable only by using a certain key
sequence.

Once that partition is gone, there is no way to restore the original
factory-installed software. Which is why HP hides the partition, and
provides a key sequence for accessing it.

If you don't have your OWN OS disk, and do not plan on purchasing one,
DON'T delete this partition until you've burnt an OS recovery disk
set. Hopefully, they will also include the necessary device drivers
for that particular laptop in the set. Laptops are notorious for
having proprietary devices which will work only with the provided
drivers.

Probably, HP also includes a program on that hidden partition which
will burn a physical bootable disk (or set of disks) with the Restore
files on it.

This disk (which you must make by starting an HP program under
Windows, or by entering the hidden partition using the provided key
sequence and starting a program in that partition which will burn it)
may or may not also contain the original third-party programs provided
with the laptop.. But usually, such third-party software is simply
"crapware", and you must uninstall it if you want to recover the
disk-space they take up.

Personally, I never use such hidden partitions. I immediately delete
the partition and recover the space for MY software, since I do not
depend on their provided OS restoration methods.. I purchase my own
OS disk and third-party tools.

If you would tell us which model of HP laptops you bought, we could
research the method HP has provided for restoring the OS and software,
and let you know.

Donald L McDaniel