Vista won't sleep.

Marko

Vista won't sleep.
On a brand new machine AMD X-2 6000, with Vista ultimate installed, a friend
is unable to get this machine to sleep. As soon as we press the sleep button
or select Start/sleep, the machine takes a 10 second nap and comes right
back.
Resetting the sleep button to Hibernate gets the same result except that the
sleep state is a couple of minutes rather than a few seconds.
We've tried a number of things that we found on the web but nothing has made
a difference.
When I check what last woke it up (config -lastwake) it points to the root
hub.

Any ideas?
Michael Walraven

Re: Vista won't sleep.
Marko,
I think root hub implies a USB device

If you open Device Manger, Universal Serial Bus Controllers

The properties associated with each (there may be multiple) Root Hubs
include Power Management.
What is possible for these items is dependent on your BIOS.

Note what each one is currently set to, enable the option to turn it off to
save power, and tell it not to wake the system.

There may be more than one startup cause so after you do this, if it still
wakes up, check the -lastwake again.

Also check the powercfg devicequery wake_armed command
(mine is somewhat strange, reports the PS/2 keyboard and 'High Definition
Audio Controller' and does not report my PS/2 mouse so I am not too sure
about it reliability)

Michael

"Marko" <Marko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On a brand new machine AMD X-2 6000, with Vista ultimate installed, a
> friend
> is unable to get this machine to sleep. As soon as we press the sleep
> button
> or select Start/sleep, the machine takes a 10 second nap and comes right
> back.
> Resetting the sleep button to Hibernate gets the same result except that
> the
> sleep state is a couple of minutes rather than a few seconds.
> We've tried a number of things that we found on the web but nothing has
> made
> a difference.
> When I check what last woke it up (config -lastwake) it points to the root
> hub.
>
> Any ideas?

Marko

Re: Vista won't sleep.
Thanks, we have two device hubs showing both were already set up the way that
you suggest. I've just done a "powercfg -H on" and sleep has been holding for
the last 10 minutes. Fingers are crossed.

"Michael Walraven" wrote:

> Marko,
> I think root hub implies a USB device
>
> If you open Device Manger, Universal Serial Bus Controllers
>
> The properties associated with each (there may be multiple) Root Hubs
> include Power Management.
> What is possible for these items is dependent on your BIOS.
>
> Note what each one is currently set to, enable the option to turn it off to
> save power, and tell it not to wake the system.
>
> There may be more than one startup cause so after you do this, if it still
> wakes up, check the -lastwake again.
>
> Also check the powercfg devicequery wake_armed command
> (mine is somewhat strange, reports the PS/2 keyboard and 'High Definition
> Audio Controller' and does not report my PS/2 mouse so I am not too sure
> about it reliability)
>
> Michael
>

> "Marko" <Marko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > On a brand new machine AMD X-2 6000, with Vista ultimate installed, a
> > friend
> > is unable to get this machine to sleep. As soon as we press the sleep
> > button
> > or select Start/sleep, the machine takes a 10 second nap and comes right
> > back.
> > Resetting the sleep button to Hibernate gets the same result except that
> > the
> > sleep state is a couple of minutes rather than a few seconds.
> > We've tried a number of things that we found on the web but nothing has
> > made
> > a difference.
> > When I check what last woke it up (config -lastwake) it points to the root
> > hub.
> >
> > Any ideas?

Michael Walraven

Re: Vista won't sleep.
Marko,

The powercfg -h on really only pertains to the hibernate function. Sleep
should work fine with the hibernate function on or off. Because of the
problems you have been having you should probably check that the power
option for sleep is set 'correctly' . Under the advanced settings make sure
that under sleep that allow hybrid sleep is allowed. (you might want to wait
a while before changing to see if sleep is really working !)

> Thanks, we have two device hubs showing both were already set up the way
> that
> you suggest. I've just done a "powercfg -H on" and sleep has been holding
> for
> the last 10 minutes. Fingers are crossed.
>
> "Michael Walraven" wrote:
>
>> Marko,
>> I think root hub implies a USB device
>>
>> If you open Device Manger, Universal Serial Bus Controllers
>>
>> The properties associated with each (there may be multiple) Root Hubs
>> include Power Management.
>> What is possible for these items is dependent on your BIOS.
>>
>> Note what each one is currently set to, enable the option to turn it off
>> save power, and tell it not to wake the system.
>>
>> There may be more than one startup cause so after you do this, if it
>> still
>> wakes up, check the -lastwake again.
>>
>> Also check the powercfg devicequery wake_armed command
>> (mine is somewhat strange, reports the PS/2 keyboard and 'High Definition
>> Audio Controller' and does not report my PS/2 mouse so I am not too sure
>> about it reliability)
>>
>> Michael
>>

>> "Marko" <Marko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > On a brand new machine AMD X-2 6000, with Vista ultimate installed, a
>> > friend
>> > is unable to get this machine to sleep. As soon as we press the sleep
>> > button
>> > or select Start/sleep, the machine takes a 10 second nap and comes
>> > right
>> > back.
>> > Resetting the sleep button to Hibernate gets the same result except
>> > that
>> > the
>> > sleep state is a couple of minutes rather than a few seconds.
>> > We've tried a number of things that we found on the web but nothing has
>> > made
>> > a difference.
>> > When I check what last woke it up (config -lastwake) it points to the
>> > root
>> > hub.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?

Marko

Re: Vista won't sleep.
It really does stay on now. BUT I had also changed from a USB keyboard to PS2.
Changing back to any USB keyboard brings back the no sleep problem. The USB
mouse is no problem. I've checked all the power settings, including the bios
settings and everything appears to be where it should. (Settings are the same
as on my own machine).
So it's down to the USB keyboard. ... Any USB keyboard!

"Michael Walraven" wrote:

> Marko,
>
> The powercfg -h on really only pertains to the hibernate function. Sleep
> should work fine with the hibernate function on or off. Because of the
> problems you have been having you should probably check that the power
> option for sleep is set 'correctly' . Under the advanced settings make sure
> that under sleep that allow hybrid sleep is allowed. (you might want to wait
> a while before changing to see if sleep is really working !)
>

> Michael
>

> "Marko" <Marko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks, we have two device hubs showing both were already set up the way
> > that
> > you suggest. I've just done a "powercfg -H on" and sleep has been holding
> > for
> > the last 10 minutes. Fingers are crossed.
> >
> > "Michael Walraven" wrote:
> >
> >> Marko,
> >> I think root hub implies a USB device
> >>
> >> If you open Device Manger, Universal Serial Bus Controllers
> >>
> >> The properties associated with each (there may be multiple) Root Hubs
> >> include Power Management.
> >> What is possible for these items is dependent on your BIOS.
> >>
> >> Note what each one is currently set to, enable the option to turn it off
> >> save power, and tell it not to wake the system.
> >>
> >> There may be more than one startup cause so after you do this, if it
> >> still
> >> wakes up, check the -lastwake again.
> >>
> >> Also check the powercfg devicequery wake_armed command
> >> (mine is somewhat strange, reports the PS/2 keyboard and 'High Definition
> >> Audio Controller' and does not report my PS/2 mouse so I am not too sure
> >> about it reliability)
> >>
> >> Michael

Michael Walraven

Re: Vista won't sleep.
Marko,

No USB keyboard here so can't help. I think restarts from keyboard are
rather unusual! With mouse there are potential problems (drift for instance)
and there are sometimes problems with bluetooth devices but straight
hardwired USB keyboards should be fine.

You could check the powercfg info again when the USB keyboard is installed
to compare to when PS/2 is installed.

> It really does stay on now. BUT I had also changed from a USB keyboard to
> PS2.
> Changing back to any USB keyboard brings back the no sleep problem. The
> USB
> mouse is no problem. I've checked all the power settings, including the
> bios
> settings and everything appears to be where it should. (Settings are the
> same
> as on my own machine).
> So it's down to the USB keyboard. ... Any USB keyboard!
>
> "Michael Walraven" wrote:
>
>> Marko,
>>
>> The powercfg -h on really only pertains to the hibernate function. Sleep
>> should work fine with the hibernate function on or off. Because of the
>> problems you have been having you should probably check that the power
>> option for sleep is set 'correctly' . Under the advanced settings make
>> sure
>> that under sleep that allow hybrid sleep is allowed. (you might want to
>> wait
>> a while before changing to see if sleep is really working !)
>>

>> Michael
>>

>> "Marko" <Marko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks, we have two device hubs showing both were already set up the
>> > way
>> > that
>> > you suggest. I've just done a "powercfg -H on" and sleep has been
>> > holding
>> > for
>> > the last 10 minutes. Fingers are crossed.

Marko

Re: Vista won't sleep.
Thanks for all your help. Glad we've got it down to the USB hub/USBkeyboard.
Think I'll ask a new, now specifc, question.