Upgrade from XP to Vista failed

David

Upgrade from XP to Vista failed
I just bought Vista Home Premium to replace my Windows XP Home OS, 32 bit.
When I tried to upgrade the system (after 3-4 hours of downloading and trying
to upgrade) it tells me that it cannot upgrade the OS and is reverting back
to the old OS. Why is that happening? I tried twice with the same results. I
ran the Vista compatability program and it told me no issues were there to
prevent me from upgrading.

Any thoughts?
--
David
Rick Rogers

Re: Upgrade from XP to Vista failed
Hi David,

Uninstall any antivirus application before starting. Don't just disable it,
uninstall it. Same goes for any installed CD/DVD writing software or other
internet security program.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

>I just bought Vista Home Premium to replace my Windows XP Home OS, 32 bit.
> When I tried to upgrade the system (after 3-4 hours of downloading and
> trying
> to upgrade) it tells me that it cannot upgrade the OS and is reverting
> back
> to the old OS. Why is that happening? I tried twice with the same results.
> ran the Vista compatability program and it told me no issues were there to
> prevent me from upgrading.
>
> Any thoughts?
> --
> David

Dwarf

RE: Upgrade from XP to Vista failed
Hi David,

If you follow the instructions in my post 'Clean Install Windows Vista Using
Upgrade Media', also in this newsgroup (dated 9/21/2007), you should be able
to solve your problem.
Dwarf

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...9-5eb74dcf2be7

"David" wrote:

> I just bought Vista Home Premium to replace my Windows XP Home OS, 32 bit.
> When I tried to upgrade the system (after 3-4 hours of downloading and trying
> to upgrade) it tells me that it cannot upgrade the OS and is reverting back
> to the old OS. Why is that happening? I tried twice with the same results. I
> ran the Vista compatability program and it told me no issues were there to
> prevent me from upgrading.
>
> Any thoughts?
> --
> David

ulTRAX

RE: Upgrade from XP to Vista failed
I hate to suggest you problems are a sign from the gods... but I just don't
think Vista is ready for primetime. It comes off as a beta release and is
beginning to remind me of the reviled Win ME. Aside from the compatibility
issues I've never seen so many programs that stop responding and won't even
shut down using task manager. The new Windows Explorer make file management a
pain... the touted search engine doesn't show keywords in context... so
what's the point. (It's also a sleazy way to leverage Vista to go after
Google). The UAC security prompts only make you wonder how insecure Vista
must be without such nonsense. There's nothing of substance in Vista that's
worth the switch.