Home Premium 32 to 64

TallanZ

Home Premium 32 to 64

Hi everyone,

I have researched for about a week and still cannot come up with an
answer. Here is my issue:

For My birthday my girlfriend got me OEM Windows Vista Home Premium
32bit.
I would like to now upgrade to 64 bit, I have 4 GB's of ram and I would
also like to future proof myself.

I have read I that since I have OEM 32 bit I cannot ask microsoft for a
Alternate media disc.

I also read that the 32 bit and 64 bit discs have serials that are
interchangeable, so as long as I find a 64bit disc I can use my serial
number.

I have searched torrentz, I have ask'd friends I even went back to the
store where my girlfriend bought Vista, I cannot for the life of me find
out where I can get this disc. Can anyone help me out?

--
TallanZ
Nicholas Hall

Re: Home Premium 32 to 64
As you have got an OEM version of home premium 32 bit you will need to
purchase the 64 bit version of windows.

NIK

"TallanZ" <TallanZ.307m00@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have researched for about a week and still cannot come up with an
> answer. Here is my issue:
>
> For My birthday my girlfriend got me OEM Windows Vista Home Premium
> 32bit.
> I would like to now upgrade to 64 bit, I have 4 GB's of ram and I would
> also like to future proof myself.
>
> I have read I that since I have OEM 32 bit I cannot ask microsoft for a
> Alternate media disc.
>
> I also read that the 32 bit and 64 bit discs have serials that are
> interchangeable, so as long as I find a 64bit disc I can use my serial
> number.
>
> I have searched torrentz, I have ask'd friends I even went back to the
> store where my girlfriend bought Vista, I cannot for the life of me find
> out where I can get this disc. Can anyone help me out?
>

> --
> TallanZ

Mick Murphy

RE: Home Premium 32 to 64
BUY the 64bit disk; clean install.

Back up your data before you do, as EVERYTHING, data and your installed
programs, GONE.

"TallanZ" wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have researched for about a week and still cannot come up with an
> answer. Here is my issue:
>
> For My birthday my girlfriend got me OEM Windows Vista Home Premium
> 32bit.
> I would like to now upgrade to 64 bit, I have 4 GB's of ram and I would
> also like to future proof myself.
>
> I have read I that since I have OEM 32 bit I cannot ask microsoft for a
> Alternate media disc.
>
> I also read that the 32 bit and 64 bit discs have serials that are
> interchangeable, so as long as I find a 64bit disc I can use my serial
> number.
>
> I have searched torrentz, I have ask'd friends I even went back to the
> store where my girlfriend bought Vista, I cannot for the life of me find
> out where I can get this disc. Can anyone help me out?
>

> --
> TallanZ

Richard G. Harper

Re: Home Premium 32 to 64
First, your OEM key may or may not work with any other 64-bit Vista dvd.

Second, installing 64-bit Windows is not recommended at this time due to
continued problems with application and driver support. Unless you need
64-bit Windows you are better off to stick with 32-bit Windows.

Third, you can't "upgrade" 32-bit to 64-bit, a wipe-and-install will be
necessary.

"TallanZ" <TallanZ.307m00@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have researched for about a week and still cannot come up with an
> answer. Here is my issue:
>
> For My birthday my girlfriend got me OEM Windows Vista Home Premium
> 32bit.
> I would like to now upgrade to 64 bit, I have 4 GB's of ram and I would
> also like to future proof myself.
>
> I have read I that since I have OEM 32 bit I cannot ask microsoft for a
> Alternate media disc.
>
> I also read that the 32 bit and 64 bit discs have serials that are
> interchangeable, so as long as I find a 64bit disc I can use my serial
> number.
>
> I have searched torrentz, I have ask'd friends I even went back to the
> store where my girlfriend bought Vista, I cannot for the life of me find
> out where I can get this disc. Can anyone help me out?
>

> --
> TallanZ

Rick Rogers

Re: Home Premium 32 to 64
Hi,

> I would like to now upgrade to 64 bit, I have 4 GB's of ram and I would
> also like to future proof myself.

Well, the 64-bit version will only be useful once applications are available
that can take advantage of the wider data paths. Currently, the vast
amjority are still 32-bit. In addition, should you upgrade to x64 you will
lose the ability to run older 16-bit applications. Also, merely having 4GB
of ram is not enough reason to upgrade, you must also have a processor and
motherboard that are 64-bit capable. Before you spend any more time on this,
you should ensure that you do.

> I have read I that since I have OEM 32 bit I cannot ask microsoft for a
> Alternate media disc.

Correct, the option to swap 32 for 64 is only available to retail license
holders:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...a/default.mspx

> I also read that the 32 bit and 64 bit discs have serials that are
> interchangeable, so as long as I find a 64bit disc I can use my serial
> number.

Correct again, you just need the 64-bit disk.

> I have searched torrentz, I have ask'd friends I even went back to the
> store where my girlfriend bought Vista, I cannot for the life of me find
> out where I can get this disc. Can anyone help me out?

Nope, you'll have to keep searching.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"TallanZ" <TallanZ.307m00@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have researched for about a week and still cannot come up with an
> answer. Here is my issue:
>
> For My birthday my girlfriend got me OEM Windows Vista Home Premium
> 32bit.
>

> --
> TallanZ

AJR

Re: Home Premium 32 to 64
To add to Richard's comments - 64 bit CPU required - all drivers used by 64
must be signed or certified - not required by 32 bit.

Product keys are unique to each version.