Upgraded to Premium, then Ultimate- now want to reformat

Dana Voigt

Upgraded to Premium, then Ultimate- now want to reformat
Hi everyone,
I have a Dell Inspiron that came with MCE 05, and I upgraded to home premium
when it came out. Shortly thereafter, I decided to do the online upgrade to
Ultimate. Im now at a point that im ready to reformat, so my question is,
will I have to go through the same paths I did originally? Or can I reinstall
MCE and directly upgrade to Ultimate again?

TIA
Dana
Richard G. Harper

Re: Upgraded to Premium, then Ultimate- now want to reformat
That's a good question - if both upgrades are retail, store-bought you may
be able to go direct, but if one was an "Anytime Upgrade" you probably won't
be able to.

"Dana Voigt" <Dana Voigt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
> I have a Dell Inspiron that came with MCE 05, and I upgraded to home
> premium
> when it came out. Shortly thereafter, I decided to do the online upgrade
> Ultimate. Im now at a point that im ready to reformat, so my question is,
> will I have to go through the same paths I did originally? Or can I
> reinstall
> MCE and directly upgrade to Ultimate again?
>
> TIA
> Dana

Dana Voigt

Re: Upgraded to Premium, then Ultimate- now want to reformat
Thanks for your responce Richard.
As a matter of fact, the Ultimate upgrade was an "anytime upgrade". As a
matter of fact, I dont believe I ever got the key either, I just got a a
"XrML Digital Licence Backup" file. I dont know what I would have to do to go
through it again, I would assume back up the file and then run it again when
I have premium installed. What a pain in the butt. Oh well. Thts what I get
for having faith in newer MS technologies!

Dana

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> That's a good question - if both upgrades are retail, store-bought you may
> be able to go direct, but if one was an "Anytime Upgrade" you probably won't
> be able to.

> "Dana Voigt" <Dana Voigt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi everyone,
> > I have a Dell Inspiron that came with MCE 05, and I upgraded to home
> > premium
> > when it came out. Shortly thereafter, I decided to do the online upgrade
> > Ultimate. Im now at a point that im ready to reformat, so my question is,
> > will I have to go through the same paths I did originally? Or can I
> > reinstall
> > MCE and directly upgrade to Ultimate again?
> >
> > TIA
> > Dana

called tech support

RE: Upgraded to Premium, then Ultimate- now want to reformat
I bought a computer 5 months ago with home premium and finally decided to
upgrade. but after 10 times trying to install with the same message"
windows couldn't configure one or more of the components..." I tried all i
could I had three check marks on the upgrade advisor. I finally called tech
support.

disable all components.
uninstall virus program.
unplug everything except internet, keyboard, mouse. and once the
installation is started unplug the internet.

I don't remember how but needed to do a clean boot without the components
installed.

run license put in anytime cd when asked not before. do upgrade.
and no updating. (internet cable unplugged).

that is what i remember but remember to plug in the correct internet cable
after installation and do an update when windows is fully installed.
reinstall the virus program.