Vista MUIs

bungee

Vista MUIs
I'm trying to create a build with multiple languages. However I'm struggling
to get hold of the MUI downloads. (Not the LIPs). So far I have managed to
get hold of them by using Windows Update on an existing Vista build. However
this is a rather untidy method;

Selecting a required language
Choosing Install,
Waiting for the download to complete;
opening C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\
The downloaded exe is placed here which when the installation begins unpacks
lp.cab
Quickly making a copy of lp.cab as cancelling the installation deletes this!

Is this the only way to get hold of the MUIs? There seems to be no way of
downloading these from www.microsof.com/downloads , also cant see them on
MSDN!

Chad Harris

Re: Vista MUIs
Hi Bungee--

There are two types of language files--and both are partial but either may
be what you're looking for. MUI available only in Vista Ultimate and
Enterprise are the most extensive--but LIP are available for any edition of
Vista. I'm not sure which Vista you have--but you may want to look into
these:

How do I get additional language files?
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...b5ecc1033.mspx

If you have Enterprise or Ultimate you can look into MUI. But even if you
don't, you can download the LIP files, and see if they will do the job for
you. LOL I don't know how fluent you might be in Japanese either.

LIP files can be downloaded from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/industry/go...e/default.aspx

""Because not all of the user interface is translated, LIPs require at least
one parent language. The parts of the user interface that are not translated
into the LIP language are displayed in the parent language. When you
download a LIP, you are given the parent language requirements for that
language. The parent language pack needs to be installed before the LIP can
be installed."

Good luck,

CH

"bungee" <x@x.net> wrote in message
> I'm trying to create a build with multiple languages. However I'm
> struggling to get hold of the MUI downloads. (Not the LIPs). So far I have
> managed to get hold of them by using Windows Update on an existing Vista
> build. However this is a rather untidy method;
>
> Selecting a required language
> Choosing Install,
> Waiting for the download to complete;
> opening C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\
> The downloaded exe is placed here which when the installation begins
> unpacks lp.cab
> Quickly making a copy of lp.cab as cancelling the installation deletes
> this!
>

> Is this the only way to get hold of the MUIs? There seems to be no way of
> downloading these from www.microsof.com/downloads , also cant see them on
> MSDN!

Chad Harris

Re: Vista MUIs
Bungee--

See also:

A page on Microsoft's site at http://preview.tinyurl.com/2engot gives links
and details to downloading and using M.U.I. files with compatible versions
of Windows Vista.

Good luck,

CH

"bungee" <x@x.net> wrote in message
> I'm trying to create a build with multiple languages. However I'm
> struggling to get hold of the MUI downloads. (Not the LIPs). So far I have
> managed to get hold of them by using Windows Update on an existing Vista
> build. However this is a rather untidy method;
>
> Selecting a required language
> Choosing Install,
> Waiting for the download to complete;
> opening C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\
> The downloaded exe is placed here which when the installation begins
> unpacks lp.cab
> Quickly making a copy of lp.cab as cancelling the installation deletes
> this!
>

> Is this the only way to get hold of the MUIs? There seems to be no way of
> downloading these from www.microsof.com/downloads , also cant see them on
> MSDN!

bungee

Re: Vista MUIs
Hi Chad,

Thanks for the links. I'm using Vista Enterprise and am looking for the MUI
packs, not the LIP's. I still cant see any links to download the MUI packs
other than getting them through Windows Updates as mentioned previously.
Could it be that I need to aquire these directly from MS?

Regards