unified login

adaptabl

unified login
I have a few laptops with Vista home premium(configured as a workgroup)
connecting to a windows 2003 server with a domain configured. I have the
local login name and password identicle to the domain users username and
password. I map a drive on the laptop to the server. The problem is every
time we reboot the laptop we need to reenter the username and password for
access to the share. Is there a way to have the laptop attemp to use the
current user credentials automatically.

Mike Brannigan

Re: unified login
"adaptabl" <adaptabl@mnsi.net> wrote in message
>I have a few laptops with Vista home premium(configured as a workgroup)
>connecting to a windows 2003 server with a domain configured. I have the
>local login name and password identicle to the domain users username and
>password. I map a drive on the laptop to the server. The problem is every
>time we reboot the laptop we need to reenter the username and password for
>access to the share. Is there a way to have the laptop attemp to use the
>current user credentials automatically.

If you have a domain then upgrade your version of Vista to one that is
Domain aware and join those machine to the domain.
You are asking for functionality that is provide through the use of domain
joined machines. If you insist on keeping workgroup level machines then you
will only be able to remember the credentials you provided when you attempt
to map to the domain secured resources. You will not be able to get a
permanent transparent solution without joining the domain.

--

Mike Brannigan

RoninV

Re: unified login
Adaptabl,
In your domain configuration, don't you have to enter 'domain\username' in
the username field at sign in? If not, how did you get around that?

"Mike Brannigan" wrote:

> "adaptabl" <adaptabl@mnsi.net> wrote in message
> >I have a few laptops with Vista home premium(configured as a workgroup)
> >connecting to a windows 2003 server with a domain configured. I have the
> >local login name and password identicle to the domain users username and
> >password. I map a drive on the laptop to the server. The problem is every
> >time we reboot the laptop we need to reenter the username and password for
> >access to the share. Is there a way to have the laptop attemp to use the
> >current user credentials automatically.
> >

> If you have a domain then upgrade your version of Vista to one that is
> Domain aware and join those machine to the domain.
> You are asking for functionality that is provide through the use of domain
> joined machines. If you insist on keeping workgroup level machines then you
> will only be able to remember the credentials you provided when you attempt
> to map to the domain secured resources. You will not be able to get a
> permanent transparent solution without joining the domain.
>
> --
>
> Mike Brannigan

Want user login to be the default login fortenbm333 microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 2 06-17-2008 10:26
Unified under law Paul Security News 0 03-27-2007 23:22
Comodo Unveils Unified Certificates Paul Security News 0 03-27-2007 23:22
Unified Communications Steve Security News 0 03-01-2007 23:23