My ex-employee lost the Uninstall

cleen

My ex-employee lost the Uninstall
When I pick a program in the Control Panel / Program and Features section the
Uninstall button does not appear. Also not all the programs are listed.
Thanks for any help.
Chad Harris

Re: My ex-employee lost the Uninstall
Hi cleen--

I'm not sure that your ex-employee did anything deliberately to make the
uninstall button disappear. Actually the people who made Vista at Redmond
Washington have managed to do that a lot in the last two years of Beta and
RTM. I'm not sure what teams work on the Control Panel--Shell and some
others fer sure. Add/Remove has always been a sloppy unstable utility
throughout Windows History. It often incompletely removes and causes
subsequent install problems with many programs.

Try these:

Run SFC or if you have a Vista DVD do a startup repair, and if you had a
restore point prior to when this happens and those two failed you could try
system restore either from the Repair link on the DVD or from F8:

***SFC as a Remedy***:

SFC or System File Checker is a bit like the spare tire in your car or a
backup battery I suppose. In Vista of course, they have changed it somewhat
and come up with a new name--Redmond stands for name it something different
twice a year and now it's part of WRP or Windows Resource Protection. It
scans protected resources including thousands of files, libraries, critical
folders, and essential registry keys, and it replaces those that are
corrupted with intact ones. It fixes a lot of problems in Windows XP, OE,
Windows Vista, Win Mail, IE6, and on Vista or if it is installed on XP, IE7.
It protects these things from changes by any source including
administrators, by keeping a spare of most of them.

How to Run SFC:

Type "cmd" into the Search box above the Start Button>and when cmd comes up
at the top of the Start menu>right click cmd and click "run as Admin" and
when the cmd prompt comes up at the cmd prompt type "sfc /scannow" no quotes
and let it run. This may fix things quite a bit. It replaces corrupt files
with intact ones, if you're not familiar with it.

***Startup Repair from the Vista DVD***

How to Use The Vista DVD to Repair Vista (Startup Repair is misnamed by the
Win RE team and it can be used to fix many Vista components even when you
***can boot to Vista):

http://www.windowsvista.windowsreins...rtup/index.htm

If you elect to run Startup repair from the Vista DVD (it can fix major
components in Vista--I've verified this many many times; it's good for more
than startup problems, and the Win RE team simply screwed up when they named
it not understanding its full functionality):

Startup Repair will look like this when you put in the Vista DVD:

http://www.vistaclues.com/wp-content...r-computer.png

You run the startup repair tool this way (and system restore from here is
also sometimes effective):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925810/en-us

How To Run Startup Repair In Vista Ultimate (Multiple Screenshots)
http://www.windowsvista.windowsreins...rtup/index.htm

It will automatically take you to this on your screen:

http://www.vistaclues.com/wp-content...r-computer.png

That will allow you to go to the Vista setup that has a Repair link on
thelower left corner>click it and then you'll see a gray backgrounded list
and I want you to click Startup Repair from it and follow the directions.

The gray screen after you click the first link in the above pic will look
like this:

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winv...ir/Image17.gif

Click Startup Repair, the link at the top and after it scans>click OK and
let it try to repair Vista. It will tell you if it does, and if it
doesn't, try System Restore from the Recovery Link on the DVD. If these
don't work booting into Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key and using System
Restore from one of the safe modes besides VGA may work. That means you
have the option to try 4 different safe modes to get to system restore, (one
from the Recovery link on the DVD) and sometimes one will work when the
others won't.

Good luck,

CH

"cleen" <cleen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I pick a program in the Control Panel / Program and Features section
> the
> Uninstall button does not appear. Also not all the programs are listed.
> Thanks for any help.

Chad Harris

Re: My ex-employee lost the Uninstall
Cleen--

If no joy from the above suggestions, you could also try running this
regedit from Kelly (will not harm you--designed for XP but many work for
Vista):

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs...removepage.reg

This is:

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Uninstall]
"NoRemovePage"=dword:00000001

If you wanted to do this manually in Vista in case Kelly's automatic regedit
doesn't work, you would Go to (after backing up the reg via
File>Export>Radio Button lower left of dialogue box at Entire Reg>Save
to>Desktop>Drag to your favorite folder for saving this.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies

Right click Policies>New>Dword Value>"No Remove Page" then right click the
Dword Value "No Remove Page">Modify>Type in 00000001>close

Good luck,

CH

Judith Regan v. Rupert Murdoch in Federal Court--lots of testosterone there
on boths sides.

"cleen" <cleen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I pick a program in the Control Panel / Program and Features section
> the
> Uninstall button does not appear. Also not all the programs are listed.
> Thanks for any help.

John Barnes

Re: My ex-employee lost the Uninstall
On the Vista control panel, the first item under Programs is uninstall a
program. Only programs that come with a valid uninstall procedure will be
listed. If the install program doesn't include the uninstall information
and the appropriate entry to the registry, it won't be on the list.