vista install

chefjay

vista install
I'm trying to put home premium on a new Maxtor SATA 500GB hdd home built
computer. I have an ASUS M2N-E MOBO w/2gig of ddr2 667 ram, an AMD Thalon 64
x2 6400+ windsor 3.2GHz cpu and an evga GE force 8600GTS 256 PCIE video card.
I have an 850W 4rail power supply. There are 2 more Sata hdd's hooked up
hopefully for a raid0, if I can ever get an OP system to load. I can get the
disc to run until it gets to the install point and then I get the error
message" Windows could not retrieve a information about the disks on this
computer." I've tried putting and IDE hdd in there and it still won't play.
Can someone give some ideas as to what i'm doing wrong?--
chefjay
Mick Murphy

RE: vista install
You need Drivers for the SATA.
I think there is a way to hit F6 during install.

Or, put them on a Memory Stick.
And insert when asked for.

"chefjay" wrote:

> I'm trying to put home premium on a new Maxtor SATA 500GB hdd home built
> computer. I have an ASUS M2N-E MOBO w/2gig of ddr2 667 ram, an AMD Thalon 64
> x2 6400+ windsor 3.2GHz cpu and an evga GE force 8600GTS 256 PCIE video card.
> I have an 850W 4rail power supply. There are 2 more Sata hdd's hooked up
> hopefully for a raid0, if I can ever get an OP system to load. I can get the
> disc to run until it gets to the install point and then I get the error
> message" Windows could not retrieve a information about the disks on this
> computer." I've tried putting and IDE hdd in there and it still won't play.
> Can someone give some ideas as to what i'm doing wrong?--
> chefjay

chefjay

RE: vista install
I stumbled on the fix for this by unplugging the other SATA hdd's that were
connected. Vista loaded just fine after that. I reconnected them and
formatted thema nd now the only problem I have is that every time I try to
multitask Vista It dumps on me. I did load the drivers for the hdd's, by
the way. I get a failure code of 0xFFFFF98000DCD180. I'm not smart enough
to know what that is telling me. Any clues?
--
chefjay

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> You need Drivers for the SATA.
> I think there is a way to hit F6 during install.
>
> Or, put them on a Memory Stick.
> And insert when asked for.
>
> "chefjay" wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to put home premium on a new Maxtor SATA 500GB hdd home built
> > computer. I have an ASUS M2N-E MOBO w/2gig of ddr2 667 ram, an AMD Thalon 64
> > x2 6400+ windsor 3.2GHz cpu and an evga GE force 8600GTS 256 PCIE video card.
> > I have an 850W 4rail power supply. There are 2 more Sata hdd's hooked up
> > hopefully for a raid0, if I can ever get an OP system to load. I can get the
> > disc to run until it gets to the install point and then I get the error
> > message" Windows could not retrieve a information about the disks on this
> > computer." I've tried putting and IDE hdd in there and it still won't play.
> > Can someone give some ideas as to what i'm doing wrong?--
> > chefjay

Dwarf

RE: vista install
Hi chefjay,

There should be no need to unplug any of your internal devices just so that
you can install Vista. I notice from your posts in this thread that you wish
to install Vista on a single disk and that you also want to use 2 other disks
set up as a RAID array. Check the settings in your BIOS (refer to the
motherboard manual) - enable RAID and configure the settings to show SATA1
and SATA2 as RAID enabled. Your system disk, which should be connected to
SATA0, should be set to RAID disabled. In essence, you are setting up your
system disk as the first drive in the system, with the RAID array being set
up from subsequent drives. You then need to set up your RAID array before it
can be accessed. Again, refer to your manual. Once you have done that, you
can install Vista on to your non-RAID drive. Note that you must provide RAID
drivers when installing in order for you to be able to access the full array.
If you don't, then although you will be able to install Vista, you will not
be able to access the full array (more than likely, you will see separate
disks or even no disks). When you have successfully installed Vista, you can
then use disk management to further partition and format your RAID array.
Dwarf