new hard drive and motherboard

Andyuk

new hard drive and motherboard
Hi
I have only had vista for a few months but wish to install a new motherboard
and hard drive. Can I still use my copy of vista or do i have to buy another
copy? I am throwing the old mother board away

brink

Re: new hard drive and motherboard

Andyuk;513438 Wrote:
> Hi
> I have only had vista for a few months but wish to install a new
> motherboard
> and hard drive. Can I still use my copy of vista or do i have to buy
> another
> copy? I am throwing the old mother board away

Hi Andy,

Yes you can, but you will need to do a Phone Activation to get Vista
activated again after you install it. This tutorial will show you how.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/84...sta-phone.html

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
Dwarf

RE: new hard drive and motherboard
Hi Andy,

You shouldn't have any problems using your copy of Vista on the new system.
However, when it comes to activation, you will have to do it over the phone
by speaking to an operator.
Dwarf

"Andyuk" wrote:

> Hi
> I have only had vista for a few months but wish to install a new motherboard
> and hard drive. Can I still use my copy of vista or do i have to buy another
> copy? I am throwing the old mother board away

John Barnett MVP

RE: new hard drive and motherboard
Upgrading your system shouldn't present any problems other than the fact
that, when you activate online, you may get a 'product key already in use'
message. The simplest thing to do is use the telephone activation option. The
telephone activation is automated and, even after going through the automated
steps, you may still be refused activation. However, if the automated system
refuses activation *don't* hang up; stay on the phone and you will be
transferred to a 'real' person. When you get to speak to the activation
technician, simply explain what you have done (changes to your system etc)
and he/she will be able to help you activate your copy of Vista.
--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Andyuk" wrote:

> Hi
> I have only had vista for a few months but wish to install a new motherboard
> and hard drive. Can I still use my copy of vista or do i have to buy another
> copy? I am throwing the old mother board away

Andyuk

RE: new hard drive and motherboard
cheers Guys that is a relief.

thanks again

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> Upgrading your system shouldn't present any problems other than the fact
> that, when you activate online, you may get a 'product key already in use'
> message. The simplest thing to do is use the telephone activation option. The
> telephone activation is automated and, even after going through the automated
> steps, you may still be refused activation. However, if the automated system
> refuses activation *don't* hang up; stay on the phone and you will be
> transferred to a 'real' person. When you get to speak to the activation
> technician, simply explain what you have done (changes to your system etc)
> and he/she will be able to help you activate your copy of Vista.
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
> mail/post..
>

> "Andyuk" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > I have only had vista for a few months but wish to install a new motherboard
> > and hard drive. Can I still use my copy of vista or do i have to buy another
> > copy? I am throwing the old mother board away

Dustin Harper

Re: new hard drive and motherboard
You should be able to reuse your Vista, and it may require a phone call
to Microsoft to re-activate it. But, why throw out the old motherboard?
Why not give it away!

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

Andyuk wrote:
> Hi
> I have only had vista for a few months but wish to install a new motherboard
> and hard drive. Can I still use my copy of vista or do i have to buy another
> copy? I am throwing the old mother board away

Andyuk

Re: new hard drive and motherboard
yes I will, good idea. cheers