Readyboost Theft !!

gibbylinks

Readyboost Theft !!
I put my 2gb USB stick in our new laptop and Vista offered to use it for
Readyboost, and wished to use 830mb of the free space so I said OK.

Now I use the memory stick with my portable apps on several different
computers as well, when I next used it at work I noticed that the 830mb was
still missing.

I don't mind windows utilizing this space, but I thought it would be able to
release it when shutting down or the stick is removed.

I store documents on the stick and don't like the fact that the memory
capacity has suddenly dropped.

I told Vista to stop using the stick for readyboost and it still didn't
release it. Worse still when I re-enabled it, the thing took more !!!

How can I get this memory back ?

Is it a case of reformmating the thing ?

Thanks !
Axel Göller

Re: Readyboost Theft !!
gibbylinks typed:

> How can I get this memory back ?
>
> Is it a case of reformmating the thing ?

If you check your stick with windows explorer you will detect the readyboost
file. You either delete this or format the stick.
But also check the "properties" of the stick within explorer: does it show a
value of slightly less than 2 GB as free space after formatting? If so, then
all is okay. If not, you might have a problem with a driver, as I had a
severe problem with a card reader driver, which damaged my 2 GB-SD-card.
Axel

Mick Murphy

Re: Readyboost Theft !!
If you are using Readboost, it is recommended that you use the stick solely
for readyboost. in a single computer.

"Axel Göller" wrote:

> gibbylinks typed:
>
> > How can I get this memory back ?
> >
> > Is it a case of reformmating the thing ?

> If you check your stick with windows explorer you will detect the readyboost
> file. You either delete this or format the stick.
> But also check the "properties" of the stick within explorer: does it show a
> value of slightly less than 2 GB as free space after formatting? If so, then
> all is okay. If not, you might have a problem with a driver, as I had a
> severe problem with a card reader driver, which damaged my 2 GB-SD-card.
> Axel

Alvin Paul L. Azurin (www.azurin.org)

RE: Readyboost Theft !!
Just reformat you're USB stick.