Weird Network Discovery Reset Problem!

Ray

Weird Network Discovery Reset Problem!
I am using Vista Business, with a wireless connection to a private network.
I have enabled network discovery in the Network and Sharing Center, and set
the network type to private.

Here is the problem:

I can see & contact other computers on the private network with no problem -
except that periodically, for some unknown reason, Network Discovery seems
to turn itself back off. After that, when I try to connect to another system
on my private network, I get a message that "Network discovery and file
shareing are turned off. Network computers and devices are not visible.
Click to change". So I click to turn network discovery back on, then I am
able to use the network again with no problem - until the next time I need
it when it again seems to have turned itself off and I repeat the process.
This is very annoying.

Does anyone know why Network discovery & File sharing turns itself off
periodically, and how to stop it from doing that so that

discovery and sharing remain on inside a private network?

Thanks,
Ray

Jake

RE: Weird Network Discovery Reset Problem!
I'm having the same problem with Vista Premium.

"Ray" wrote:

> I am using Vista Business, with a wireless connection to a private network.
> I have enabled network discovery in the Network and Sharing Center, and set
> the network type to private.
>
> Here is the problem:
>
> I can see & contact other computers on the private network with no problem -
> except that periodically, for some unknown reason, Network Discovery seems
> to turn itself back off. After that, when I try to connect to another system
> on my private network, I get a message that "Network discovery and file
> shareing are turned off. Network computers and devices are not visible.
> Click to change". So I click to turn network discovery back on, then I am
> able to use the network again with no problem - until the next time I need
> it when it again seems to have turned itself off and I repeat the process.
> This is very annoying.
>
> Does anyone know why Network discovery & File sharing turns itself off
> periodically, and how to stop it from doing that so that
>
> discovery and sharing remain on inside a private network?
>
> Thanks,
> Ray

bdemski

Re: Weird Network Discovery Reset Problem!

I feel your pain.

This problem has been driving me crazy! My PC is from dell so I had
someone remote in but they had no idea what to do. I can't find ANYTHING
about it. Perhaps most people don't experience it. We have two Vista
machines at our office and both are exhibiting the same behavior.

I am running Vista business.

The only software out of the ordinary (office, etc) is VMware. Could
that be somehow creating this problem? Either of you guys using VMware?
It does create some virtual network adapters...

--
bdemski
ericdm55

Re: Weird Network Discovery Reset Problem!

Same on my Vista home prem, I must.... Set Network Locations, Customize
Network Settings, Private, but Set Network Name feature on my Vista is
stuck as Unidentified is all I ever got, but each time I restart I can
turn it back on to Private. Very anoying ... for two years now. So
really the nic I use is static IP and I can always share files so this
issue is just principal. This has been and seems to be a forum of whats
wrong, are there no solutions forum?

--
ericdm55
lemur

bdemski;547704 Wrote:

> The only software out of the ordinary (office, etc) is VMware. Could
> that be somehow creating this problem? Either of you guys using VMware?
> It does create some virtual network adapters...

In your case, VMware can be causing the problem.

http://www.nivot.org/2008/09/05/VMWa...sFirewall.aspx

--
lemur

::If *ANYONE* in this forum helps you, please click on
their *REP* icon. Thanks! (the middle scale icon in the upper right
corner)::
lemur

Re: Weird Network Discovery Reset Problem!

These are Shawn's tips...

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/12...-turn-off.html