Windows Vista RAID-0

Frank

Windows Vista RAID-0
Hi,

I've currently a RAID-0 base on nVidia chipset. I looking for someone how
have compared this solution vs Microsoft RAID setup ? Since this two
solution isn't a real hardware solution... witch one is the fastest ?
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Windows Vista RAID-0
Why RAID is (usually) a Terrible Idea
http://www.pugetsystems.com/articles?&id=29

RAID Explained
http://www.pugetsystems.com/articles.php?id=24

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0A525AB5-83FA-4C8E-A1A0-9C70541F6735@microsoft.com...
Hi,

I've currently a RAID-0 base on nVidia chipset. I looking for someone how
have compared this solution vs Microsoft RAID setup ? Since this two
solution isn't a real hardware solution... witch one is the fastest ?
Frank

Re: Windows Vista RAID-0
Hi,

This was not my question; I already know what is a RAID configuration. I
already know that, if a single drive fail in a RAID-0 this is a lost for
every data because no parity in this configuration.

My question is more specifique; an hardware RAID card on PCI-X or PCI-E
with, by exemple 128MB RAM and a XOR CPU is faster but 300$ min. price.

Alternatively, we can use RAID by motherboard chipset offer by nVidia, Intel
and other vendor. This is a cheap RAID but CPU intensive.

In this perpestive, Windows Vista 100% software RAID configuration it is
equivalent, less performance or faster if we compare to chipset RAID?

In a clean installation, I like to make a choice.

....I have actually a RAID-0 with a full backup on other physical drive.
RAID-10 is slower.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Why RAID is (usually) a Terrible Idea
> http://www.pugetsystems.com/articles?&id=29
>
> RAID Explained
> http://www.pugetsystems.com/articles.php?id=24
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0A525AB5-83FA-4C8E-A1A0-9C70541F6735@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I've currently a RAID-0 base on nVidia chipset. I looking for someone how
> have compared this solution vs Microsoft RAID setup ? Since this two
> solution isn't a real hardware solution... witch one is the fastest ?

Dwarf

Re: Windows Vista RAID-0
Hi Frank,

For speed and reliability, I would rate the RAID options as follows:
Firstly, a dedicated hardware card. This has the advantage that all the
processing is carried out on the board itself, but it has the disadvantage
that not all BIOSes can be set up to boot from such a device. Secondly, RAID
that is built-in to the motherboard. Although this option uses some processor
capacity, this has the great advantage of being bootable. Both these two
options may require drivers to be obtained if the Vista disk doesn't already
have the necessary drivers on it. Thirdly, Microsoft RAID. Although this is
the cheapest option, with it being built-in to the operating system, it is
also the least reliable. Because this option is totally software-based, it is
also the slowest and can also lead to a slow running system because of the
extra workload on the processor. My personal preference would be to use the
option of RAID that is built-in to the motherboard as this is the easiest to
set up. Although not as fast as a dedicated hardware card, it is cheaper and
is certainly alot faster than a purely software solution could be, and
without the disadvantage of using up a lot of processor time.
Dwarf