Xeon 5130 quad core: two cores not showing?

Rabbit

Xeon 5130 quad core: two cores not showing?
I have Business x64 which shows 4-cores. Home Premium x64 also (each on
separate drives) installed later, but it only shows two cores!

I've tried System Configuration advanced boot options and even reinstall of
Home Premium to see if that would work (and now tells me I have just FOUR
days to re-activate again).

I thought all 64-bit versions would see a dual-cpu/dual-core (4 cores) Xeon
5130 and 6GB RAM. Only real reason for using x64 was to support 4-cores and
more than 4GB. And DEP etc.

Also, there is no way to enter BIOS, this is EFI based Mac Pro, but running
Vista now since RC1. Only got Home Premium recently as a "test" OS.

????

Greg

Kerry Brown

Re: Xeon 5130 quad core: two cores not showing?
The 5130 is a dual core CPU. It sounds like you have two dual core CPUs. All
home versions of all Microsoft desktop OS's only support a single CPU. It
doesn't matter if the OS is 32 bit or 64 bit. It matters if it is a home or
business version.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Rabbit" <white.rabbitt@alice.wonderland.com> wrote in message
news3C07D5C-95E3-42BB-941C-5BB368FD5960@microsoft.com...
>I have Business x64 which shows 4-cores. Home Premium x64 also (each on
>separate drives) installed later, but it only shows two cores!
>
> I've tried System Configuration advanced boot options and even reinstall
> of Home Premium to see if that would work (and now tells me I have just
> FOUR days to re-activate again).
>
> I thought all 64-bit versions would see a dual-cpu/dual-core (4 cores)
> Xeon 5130 and 6GB RAM. Only real reason for using x64 was to support
> 4-cores and more than 4GB. And DEP etc.
>
> Also, there is no way to enter BIOS, this is EFI based Mac Pro, but
> running Vista now since RC1. Only got Home Premium recently as a "test"
> OS.
>
> ????
>
> Greg

Rabbit

Re: Xeon 5130 quad core: two cores not showing?
I thought Home Premium was dual-cpu and yes there are twin 5130s (hence,
four cores - there wasn't a quad-core 5100 until later).

I should have gone back and re-read threads or this:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=130

I knew Business and Ultimate have multi-cpu support.
Simply forgot. I feel foolish for the hours I wasted, and reinstall for
nothing, too.
I thought there was a bit flipped.... it was just me!

Thanks.

> The 5130 is a dual core CPU. It sounds like you have two dual core CPUs.
> All home versions of all Microsoft desktop OS's only support a single CPU.
> It doesn't matter if the OS is 32 bit or 64 bit. It matters if it is a
> home or business version.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>

> "Rabbit" <white.rabbitt@alice.wonderland.com> wrote in message
> news3C07D5C-95E3-42BB-941C-5BB368FD5960@microsoft.com...
>>I have Business x64 which shows 4-cores. Home Premium x64 also (each on
>>separate drives) installed later, but it only shows two cores!
>>
>> I've tried System Configuration advanced boot options and even reinstall
>> of Home Premium to see if that would work (and now tells me I have just
>> FOUR days to re-activate again).
>>
>> I thought all 64-bit versions would see a dual-cpu/dual-core (4 cores)
>> Xeon 5130 and 6GB RAM. Only real reason for using x64 was to support
>> 4-cores and more than 4GB. And DEP etc.
>>
>> Also, there is no way to enter BIOS, this is EFI based Mac Pro, but
>> running Vista now since RC1. Only got Home Premium recently as a "test"
>> OS.
>>
>> ????
>>
>> Greg

Rabbit

Re: Xeon 5130 quad core: two cores not showing?
I thought Home Premium was dual-cpu; yes twin 5130s (hence,
four cores - there wasn't a quad-core 5100 until later).

I should have gone back and re-read threads or this:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=130

Seems like it should be made clear. Looking at "compare editions" doesn't
even put a bullet next to dual vs single cpu. Most "features" are of little
interest, and the ones they don't, that are hidden away under the hood, are
what I care most about. 300 channels of tv and nothing to watch.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ns/choose.mspx