Corrupt install, can't auto-repair

Aston French

Corrupt install, can't auto-repair
During my vista install, my PC lost power. It was installing onto a clean
system and disk, and now falls over after the "Windows is loading files from
the disk" section. It now produces the following error:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware of software change might be the
cause, To fix the problem: *etc etc*

File: \windows\system32\halmacpi.dll

Info: Windows failed to load because the MAL is missing.

If I restart by pressing f1, it then brings up the same error, but with
"winload.exe" and a different memory sector. Each clean poweron brings a
different error. I have tried removing the harddrive and formatting it in my
other computer to remove the partial install of windows, but to no avail. Can
anyone think of a way to get around this now?
Aston French

RE: Corrupt install, can't auto-repair
Someone suggested this might be a symptomn of a damaged/defective DVD. How
can I check this, does the DVD have a published md5sum or anything similar?
Mick Murphy

RE: Corrupt install, can't auto-repair
You don't say how you are installing it.

Have to set the Bios to boot from the DVD Drive; reboot,delete the partition
you have already with a corrupted outcome, formatt from the disc, install
Vista, etc?

"Aston French" wrote:

> During my vista install, my PC lost power. It was installing onto a clean
> system and disk, and now falls over after the "Windows is loading files from
> the disk" section. It now produces the following error:
>
> Windows failed to start. A recent hardware of software change might be the
> cause, To fix the problem: *etc etc*
>
> File: \windows\system32\halmacpi.dll

> Info: Windows failed to load because the MAL is missing.
>

> If I restart by pressing f1, it then brings up the same error, but with
> "winload.exe" and a different memory sector. Each clean poweron brings a
> different error. I have tried removing the harddrive and formatting it in my
> other computer to remove the partial install of windows, but to no avail. Can
> anyone think of a way to get around this now?

Aston French

RE: Corrupt install, can't auto-repair
The system is entirely built from scratch, and I had set it to boot from DVD.
It went through the first stage of install fine, did the normal reboot, and
then the power died about 15s into the second stage. Since then, the system
pulls up the mentioned error immediately after completing the initial
"Windows is loading files from disk" that normally precedes the instllation
screen.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> You don't say how you are installing it.
>
> Have to set the Bios to boot from the DVD Drive; reboot,delete the partition
> you have already with a corrupted outcome, formatt from the disc, install
> Vista, etc?

Aston French

Hardware, and STOP error.
I have just received a stop error after trying to install again.

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

0x0000004E 0x00000080 0x00078400 0x00400000 0xC07C2000 (I might have made a
transcription error, but I'm fairly sure thats it.)

Additional info: I am running the following hardware:

650i mobo
e6850 processor
4x 1gb Crucial Ballistix ram (2 sticks installed currently)
8800 gtx video card
10krpm 150gb WD raptor harddrive
Sony Optiarc DVD +- RW
650watt power supply.
John Barnes

Re: Hardware, and STOP error.
One possibility is bad ram. Run the ram test.

"Aston French" <AstonFrench@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just received a stop error after trying to install again.
>
> PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
>
> 0x0000004E 0x00000080 0x00078400 0x00400000 0xC07C2000 (I might have made
> transcription error, but I'm fairly sure thats it.)
>
> Additional info: I am running the following hardware:
>
> 650i mobo
> e6850 processor
> 4x 1gb Crucial Ballistix ram (2 sticks installed currently)
> 8800 gtx video card
> 10krpm 150gb WD raptor harddrive
> Sony Optiarc DVD +- RW
> 650watt power supply.

Aston French

Re: Hardware, and STOP error.
Beautiful! The memory test hadn't pulled up errors, but when I swapped the
sticks out it ran flawlessly =D

Thankyou very much, great help!

"John Barnes" wrote:

> One possibility is bad ram. Run the ram test.

John Barnes

Re: Hardware, and STOP error.
Glad to hear your problem is solved. Thanks for the response.