Vista clean installation trouble

inga-lill

Vista clean installation trouble
I´ve tried to install Vista home premium OEM on my new computer which I´ve
built by myself. The CD starts and I´m told to push any key but when I do
nothing happens. What is wrong?

R. C. White

Re: Vista clean installation trouble
Hi, inga-lill.

Surely you don't mean CD. Vista is much to large to fit on a CD and comes
on a DVD-ROM.

But, then, I've not used an OEM version. Maybe they are different?

To give us any chance at all of helping you, you'll need to tell us at least
a little about your computer, especially since you built it yourself. We
can't even guess at motherboard, chipset, CPU, RAM, hard drives, optical
drives, floppy drives - or anything else. :>(

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"inga-lill" <inga-lill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I´ve tried to install Vista home premium OEM on my new computer which I´ve
> built by myself. The CD starts and I´m told to push any key but when I do
> nothing happens. What is wrong?

inga-lill

Re: Vista clean installation trouble
Hi, my mistake ;-(
Asus Geforce 7300GT 256MB PCle
Corsair VS 1024MB kit (2x512) DD
Samsung DVD plusminus RW 20x DL SATA
Asus P5PL2-E S775 i945 DDR2-533
Western Digital Caviar SE 250GB
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 775 1333F
Logitech speaker, Antec Sonata III 500W miditower
and of course it´s a DVD
regards inga-lill

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, inga-lill.
>
> Surely you don't mean CD. Vista is much to large to fit on a CD and comes
> on a DVD-ROM.
>
> But, then, I've not used an OEM version. Maybe they are different?
>
> To give us any chance at all of helping you, you'll need to tell us at least
> a little about your computer, especially since you built it yourself. We
> can't even guess at motherboard, chipset, CPU, RAM, hard drives, optical
> drives, floppy drives - or anything else. :>(
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64)
>
> "inga-lill" <inga-lill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I´ve tried to install Vista home premium OEM on my new computer which I´ve
> > built by myself. The CD starts and I´m told to push any key but when I do
> > nothing happens. What is wrong?

Bruce Chambers

inga-lill wrote:
> I´ve tried to install Vista home premium OEM on my new computer which I´ve
> built by myself. The CD starts and I´m told to push any key but when I do
> nothing happens. What is wrong?

Vista comes on a DVD, not a CD. If you're trying to use a CD drive, it
won't work. You need to have a DVD drive.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
SG

Re: Vista clean installation trouble
Hi Bruce,

Just so you know.....
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...a/default.mspx

All the best,

> inga-lill wrote:
>> Ive tried to install Vista home premium OEM on my new computer which
>> Ive built by myself. The CD starts and Im told to push any key but when
>> I do nothing happens. What is wrong?
>>

> Vista comes on a DVD, not a CD. If you're trying to use a CD drive, it
> won't work. You need to have a DVD drive.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
> Russell

> killed a great many philosophers.
> ~ Denis Diderot

inga-lill

Re: Vista clean installation trouble

Hello again,

It´s nice with philosophy but it doesn´t help me now.
I wonder, if I have a new computer and all new devices and no operating
system installed. How can I install driver´s? Perhaps that is all I need to
continue. Do I have to install another OS first and then afterwards Vista?
I´m from Sweden but someone may be awake at this hour
Thank´s again for your help sofar
Inga-Lill
"SG" wrote:

> Hi Bruce,
>
> Just so you know.....
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...a/default.mspx
>
> All the best,
>
> "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
> > inga-lill wrote:
> >> I´ve tried to install Vista home premium OEM on my new computer which
> >> I´ve built by myself. The CD starts and I´m told to push any key but when
> >> I do nothing happens. What is wrong?
> >>

> > Vista comes on a DVD, not a CD. If you're trying to use a CD drive, it
> > won't work. You need to have a DVD drive.
> >

> > --
> >
> > Bruce Chambers
> >
> > Help us help you:
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
> > safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin
> >
> > Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
> > Russell
> >
> > The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
> > killed a great many philosophers.
> > ~ Denis Diderot

Gnter Brandsttter

Re: Vista clean installation trouble
Hi,

is your keyboard a USB or PS-2 keyboard?
If USB, look in BIOS if the USB support for keyboard is enabled.

Gnter

> Hello again,
>
> Its nice with philosophy but it doesnt help me now.
> I wonder, if I have a new computer and all new devices and no operating
> system installed. How can I install drivers? Perhaps that is all I need
> continue. Do I have to install another OS first and then afterwards Vista?
> Im from Sweden but someone may be awake at this hour
> Thanks again for your help sofar
> Inga-Lill
> "SG" wrote:
>
>> Hi Bruce,
>>
>> Just so you know.....
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...a/default.mspx
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>> "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
>> >>

>> > Vista comes on a DVD, not a CD. If you're trying to use a CD drive, it
>> > won't work. You need to have a DVD drive.
>> >

>> > --
>> >
>> > Bruce Chambers
>> >
>> > Help us help you:
>> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> > http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>> >
>> > They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
>> > safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin
>> >
>> > Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
>> > Russell
>> >
>> > The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
>> > killed a great many philosophers.
>> > ~ Denis Diderot

inga-lill

Re: Vista clean installation trouble
Hi,
To be certein that the keyboard would function did I use PS2
Inga-Lill

"Günter Brandstätter" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is your keyboard a USB or PS-2 keyboard?
> If USB, look in BIOS if the USB support for keyboard is enabled.
>
> Günter
>
> "inga-lill" <ingalill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Hello again,
> >
> > It´s nice with philosophy but it doesn´t help me now.
> > I wonder, if I have a new computer and all new devices and no operating
> > system installed. How can I install driver´s? Perhaps that is all I need
> > continue. Do I have to install another OS first and then afterwards Vista?
> > I´m from Sweden but someone may be awake at this hour
> > Thank´s again for your help sofar
> > Inga-Lill
> > "SG" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Bruce,
> >>
> >> Just so you know.....
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...a/default.mspx
> >>
> >> All the best,

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Vista clean installation trouble
If your keyboard has an F Lock, that could prevent the keyboard working.
Toggle the the F Lock button and try the F key required during install..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
Posting Productively.. http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"inga-lill" <inga-lill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I´ve tried to install Vista home premium OEM on my new computer which I´ve
> built by myself. The CD starts and I´m told to push any key but when I do
> nothing happens. What is wrong?

PvdG42

Re: Vista clean installation trouble
"inga-lill" <inga-lill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I´ve tried to install Vista home premium OEM on my new computer which I´ve
> built by myself. The CD starts and I´m told to push any key but when I do
> nothing happens. What is wrong?

Has the hardware you put together installed or run *any OS* successfully, or
is this the first attempt? I'm asking because if this is the first try, you
may have hardware configuration problems.
You can test the hardware for basic functionality in several ways, including
booting from a DOS floppy image (www.bootdisk.com), or by obtaining an OS
that will run from CD (I believe there are some versions of Linux that you
can try).
Or, try installing an older Windows, if you have it.
From what you've said, start with a substitute, known good, keyboard.